Thread: A Grammar Question

Default A Grammar Question

Studying past perfect and such.

Is there an easy way to teach kids which verbs may be used without a condition applied to the perfect aspect? I hope I'm wording that correctly; this is getting deeper into grammar than I usually go...

For example:

"I have left the building for ten years" obviously doesn't work.

"I have left the building at five o'clock for ten years" kinda works.

"I have told my friends for two years." Doesn't work.

"I have told my friends about USAA for two years." Works.

Lots of verbs kinda have this requirement; visit, become, lost, meet, sleep, sit. There are various examples for which those verbs might work without a condition, but they tend to be problematic.

Is there any easy way to explain this to kids, or is it just a gigantic pain in the arse?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

that is kinda tricky. if they have a good enough understanding of english (pretty sure my students wouldnt), you might try explaining that if they can understand the authors meaning and it doesnt sound weird, you dont need a modifier. If you feel like youre missing some info, you shoud prolly add one. But if my schools are any example, I'm not sure that'll work.
    It might be best to just give them a list of some words that will generally use a modifier. Maybe some of the ESL websites online will have some advice on it.

Default Re: A Grammar Question

Wouldn't you say

"I have been leaving the building at five o'clock for ten years"

and

"I have been telling my friends about USAA for two years"

So this is a case where the present perfect is required, not the past perfect. The past perfect is used for distinguishing which happened first of two specific events that have both ended. All of your examples refer to continuing events and only describe one event happening.

Past perfect examples without a condition from some website I found:

I went to see the movie. We had discussed it in class.

I wanted to live in a foreign country, so I applied for a job in Japan. Judy had lived in Japan, so I called her to find out more about the culture and lifestyle there.

I would think this is fairly easy to explain?

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

what jiggit said [god help me].
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Hmm, you're quite right. Thank you. Ugh; I should really brush up on this.
    Last edited by word; May 14th, 2012 at 21:42.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.