Thread: If you had the opportunity...

Default If you had the opportunity...

If you had the opportunity to talk to a large group of Japanese elementary school teachers (all levels) about how and what they should be teaching their students, what would you say to them?

I have some idea what I'm gonna do (and plenty of time to get it worked up), but I'd really like to get input from as many people as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I'd tell them to read the damn guidelines they are given, follow them and stop treating foreign languages as some mysterious thing that they can't possibly teach and isn't that important anyway.

Unfortunately I tell them this constantly but it only seems to sink in with 50% of them
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: If you had the opportunity...

I'd tell them to avoid katakana usage at all costs. No more katakana phonetics please! I hate how half our first year class (SHS) is devoted to breaking them of saido and sutopu and lieku and apuru.

It's not THAT hard to learn to speak these basic words a bit closer to sounding like English.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Tell them that they dont have to try and speak english. Treat the class like any other subject. When its time to practice speaking use the CD/DVD/ALT.

Everything they do in ES is covered in JHS so make the lessons enjoyable rather than getting hung up on memorizing shit.

They aren't supposed to teach writing but if the kids know the alphabet, large and small, then its a big help in JHS.

Being aware of differences in pronunciation. Its better to realize that English is different to Japanese and be exposed to correct pronunciation so they can hear the difference rather than to learn a list of 200 arbitrary words and phrases in katakana
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I would tell them to spend less time explaining grammar points to the class in Japanese and give them more time listening to the grammar and words being used in english. The students only see the ALT once a week and the JTE 4 times.

Then i would go over some language acquisition stuff i read such as personalizing, adding meaning, providing repetition, and the importance of input.

what elementary school does english lessons 4 times a week?? with a JTE?? With grammar points??

Stop with the damn grammar, and STOP focusing on perfection, fack. Make it fun and simple. Basic grasp of sentences (How are you? types) is fine; build up vocab!

Also, if you don`t know wtf you are doing, ask the ALT.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    what elementary school does english lessons 4 times a week?? with a JTE?? With grammar points??
    eh sorry kind of went off the wrong tangent. one of my elementary schools does a former middle school JTE, but they use as a homeroom teacher and another teacher as the primary English teacher.
    Last edited by jwkelley; May 31st, 2012 at 16:11.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

I wouldn't bother. They're not going to listen anyway.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    I wouldn't bother. They're not going to listen anyway.
    We're playing in fantasy land here wicket. Take you reality to the vodka bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.