Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Interac Placements Summer/Fall 2012

The 12th, huh? That's strange, I'm flying into Kansai as well but not until the 15th. I guess you're going to a different orientation then.

Default Re: Interac Placements Summer/Fall 2012

Probably - mine's actually in Okayama City, even though I'm with the Hiroshima BoE. I need to work out whether it's cheaper to get the train from Tokyo to Kansai AP and then use the travel they provide to the accommodation or whether to just get myself there o.O

I have been offered a placement in Machida-shi, in Western Tokyo. Look 's like a good place and a little closer to nature than the dead central part. I have been told I will need to be over there around the 21st. So it may be that Kanto is a little later than Kansai orientation but then again, it wasn't set in stone at this stage.

That's cool! Congrats, jolly! I was starting to think all the placements they had this season were in the south.

Quote Originally Posted by jollyrodger View Post
    I have been offered a placement in Machida-shi, in Western Tokyo. Look 's like a good place and a little closer to nature than the dead central part. I have been told I will need to be over there around the 21st. So it may be that Kanto is a little later than Kansai orientation but then again, it wasn't set in stone at this stage.
    Congrats! That's an awesome placement.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Machida rocks, only place I was ever arrested in Japan, but I'd love to go back. Check out Hachioji sometime too! I lived even further out in fuchinobe, so on our limited student funds machida was the closest into he city we regularly made it. Nice placement!
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

I'm to arrive in Hiroshima for training at the 19th of August.

Looks fun, who else is going around that time? Training will include my 23rd birthday so I hope you're all up for partying and a painful hangover the following day.

I'm getting really nervous now, so much stuff not planned! ALL THE FEELS.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarantoikenbai View Post
    I'm to arrive in Hiroshima for training at the 19th of August.

Looks fun, who else is going around that time? Training will include my 23rd birthday so I hope you're all up for partying and a painful hangover the following day.

I'm getting really nervous now, so much stuff not planned! ALL THE FEELS.
    Hey Yarantoikenbai, I am going to that orientation to. I'm going to arrive at arrive a couple of days earlier in Osaka to settle in Japan. You catching Shinkansen to Hiroshima? Or what airport u arriving in?

I haven't decided yet, but I think I'll probably fly straight to Hiroshima, if I can. I want to avoid flying further south and getting the train up, because I don't think I could handle the nostalgia of being in Kyushu! Would upset me to have to leave, haha.

As the shinkansen is rather expensive, so if I can book a flight directly there through an agent, I will. Trying to save as much money as humanly possible, but I'm going to look into it further tonight after work.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you book your flight? I'm trying to find a cheap one, but at the moment I can't find anything for less than £800, and then I'd need to spend more to get from Kansai Int'l to Hiroshima.

Hey guys

I was offered my first placement the other day in Minobu, Yamanashi prefecture. After careful consideration, I decided to turn down the placement.

Is anyone else in the same position where they have declined a placement? I hope this doesn't slow things down too much or jeopardise my chances of finding another placement in time.

Hi and welcome!

I don't know personally, but it seems you can turn down quite a few placements, BUT you should be careful. Obviously, the more you turn down, the less likely you are to be successfully offered something.

I accepted the first one I was offered, even though I didn't want to go to the area. But, after a bit of research, I've found fellow ALTs over there, and it turns out my sempai from uni is actually living in the same dinky city! Be open minded, no matter how shit it looks, you'll be working so much that you won't have much time for worrying about it.

And remember, middle of nowhere = middle of awesome. People are so much more responsive to you as a gaijin, and a lot more welcoming. Unless you're an antisocial twat like me.

Last edited by 6261; September 27th, 2017 at 05:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarantoikenbai View Post
    Hi and welcome!

I don't know personally, but it seems you can turn down quite a few placements, BUT you should be careful. Obviously, the more you turn down, the less likely you are to be successfully offered something.

I accepted the first one I was offered, even though I didn't want to go to the area. But, after a bit of research, I've found fellow ALTs over there, and it turns out my sempai from uni is actually living in the same dinky city! Be open minded, no matter how shit it looks, you'll be working so much that you won't have much time for worrying about it.

And remember, middle of nowhere = middle of awesome. People are so much more responsive to you as a gaijin, and a lot more welcoming. Unless you're an antisocial twat like me.
    Haha, thanks for the prompt reply Yarantoikenbai. You're clearly a bit more sociable than you let on I'm looking forward to getting stuck in with my work and meeting new people. However, Minobu just didn't tick any of the boxes for me (other than 1. Being a place in Japan).

akanemukade - I'm sure Yamanashi is a great place to live and from what I saw the area seemed nice but my preference was for somewhere in the north of Japan, in an urban environment.

Now, before I get accused of naivety, I am well aware that placement preferences rarely come to fruition but the placement in Minobu just didn't do it for me. It is very inaka with only 5000 people living in the town (which is not a problem but certainly not a preference), was asking me to drive some distance (not great) between at least 5 schools (also not great) and mainly teaching elementary kids (not exactly my cup of tea).

I've brought this up with the guys in Tokyo so hopefully my next placement will offer some improvement on the last. I'm genuinely flexible when it comes to the transition to Japan but I would rather have a placement I was happy with from the outset.

I just want to bring up that a lot of Interac placements are teaching ES children.

And for those of you debating about travel and have orientation midway through August: most things are booked up solid or are an arm and a leg now. So, don't wait until last minute.

Last edited by 6261; September 27th, 2017 at 05:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I just want to bring up that a lot of Interac placements are teaching ES children.

And for those of you debating about travel and have orientation midway through August: most things are booked up solid or are an arm and a leg now. So, don't wait until last minute.
    I wish I could buy my plane ticket already. But I don't know if I'll be training in Osaka on the 15th or Tokyo on the 20th, so it's hard to buy it now. I am anxiously awaiting the okay from Interac to do so, as well as a placement. I think I'm slowly going insane, lol.

Hmmm. Flying from America, the cheapest flights you're gonna get are starting around 1200usd, and that's flying to Tokyo, not in to Osaka. If I were you, I'd err on side of caution, and buy tickets to Tokyo for a 14th or 13th arrival. Then you can nightbus/day bus down (Shink is gonna cost you 25000yen) from anywhere between 4k-9kyen to Osaka if you have Osaka training.

If not, stay in Tokyo for approx 5 days. The cheapest place I can think of is 3k a night, but you can couch surf as well, or find another ALT who works in Tokyo that might put you up (reach out to other Interac ALTs?). Food/accommodation (assuming you're not izakaya-ing every night or drinking like a fish) shouldn't run you more than 2man for 5 days/nights. Throw in an extra 2k on a suica pass if you want to go sight seeing by bus/train.

The closer you wait to buy your tickets though, the higher the prices are going to skyrocket, especially as you're coming in during Obon.

...Did any of you interview in Japan for the Interac ALT position? I have an interview next week at the Osaka branch for August/September start, but I have no idea what to expect besides an interview and sample lesson. I imagine it's probably different from interviews in international companies?

Yeah, the most important thing for me as well as non-driving, and thanks to a few posters itt, I have all the more reason to be thankful for the placement.

Orientation starts on the 13th for me. Trying to hold off on buying my plane ticket in case there are any delays with the CoE and visa process, but ideally I'd like to arrive in Tokyo or Fukuoka a few days early to relax and try to see friends before orientation, then either fly or take the Shinkansen to Okayama.

Good luck to everyone else with their placements and travel arrangements! It might not feel like it, but Japan is right around the corner.
    Oh, Arsene Wenger's magic, he wears a magic hat / and when he saw the double, he said I'm having that

Excellent points Lianwen, but if I followed that advice and got the same instructions as oribaa...

Quote Originally Posted by oribaa View Post
    I dunno about anyone else, but I got the pre-departure info email this morning from Ryan. 12th of August I need to arrive as Kansai Int'l
    or if I got deferred until spring, I'd be screwed. I mean, it'd probably be okay, and everything's a gamble, but I'd rather play it safe and lose $500-800 to a plane ticket hike and avoid the possibility of arriving at the wrong time or being deferred when I've already bought a ticket. They should be letting us know by the end of the week, someone posted. I'll probably call Interac myself later tonight if I don't hear back.

Quote Originally Posted by pika View Post
    Excellent points Lianwen, but if I followed that advice and got the same instructions as oribaa...

or if I got deferred until spring, I'd be screwed. I mean, it'd probably be okay, and everything's a gamble, but I'd rather play it safe and lose $500-800 to a plane ticket hike and avoid the possibility of arriving at the wrong time or being deferred when I've already bought a ticket. They should be letting us know by the end of the week, someone posted. I'll probably call Interac myself later tonight if I don't hear back.
    I can't imagine they'd defer you til spring. If you've signed a contract thing, then that's bang out of order. Probably just not been able to find a suitable position yet!