Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Interac Placements Summer/Fall 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Yarantoikenbai View Post
    If you've signed a contract thing, then that's bang out of order.
    this is not always true. lots of people get alternate positions and/or deferred. just hang in there and hope for the best—they are placing hundreds of participants, so keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarantoikenbai View Post
    I can't imagine they'd defer you til spring. If you've signed a contract thing, then that's bang out of order. Probably just not been able to find a suitable position yet!
    I don't think anyone signs the actual contract of employment until they get a position and meet with the local branch. Anything up to that point is just tentative for visa purposes. I think that's how it is, at least, from what I've read.

[EDIT] This is me waiting to hear back from Interac: http://youtu.be/Zw-cuyNAcQ8
    (okay, a lot of it doesn't apply)
    Last edited by pika; July 19th, 2012 at 12:02.

Hi everyone, I recently got my employment location with Interac in Sakai City. I am very pleased because I used to go to school in Osaka when I studied abroad. It wasn't my first choice; however, I will enjoy it anyways I love Osaka, so it couldn't have been a better location. I picked up my one way ticket for 786.00 which was the cheapest I could find. Everyone should look at IACE. I'm arriving earlier prior to the 15th on the 9th because tickets are cheaper. Traveling to Japan in August is always expensive from previous experiences because Japanese people always travel back and fourth in this time frame. My advice is to go early as possible or late as possible in August to get cheaper flights. I hope everyone else gets their locations soon ^^;
    Last edited by taikokon; July 19th, 2012 at 15:29.

Last edited by 6261; September 27th, 2017 at 05:18.

Default Re: Interac Placements Summer/Fall 2012

I have yet to receive a placement, but I did receive an email today stating that I could attend the Tokyo training on the 21st and receive my placement later. Sounds a little bit....anxiety laden as they can basically give you an assignment with no option to back out. Conversely, I am definitely not waiting until spring.

As a side note, for those of you who do not know Japanese, I found this really cool Chrome extension called Polyglot that changes random words into Kanji and helps you learn them contextually. Pretty neat stuff.

Hello all, only came across this forum today wish I'd seen it before, very useful to know what is happening elsewhere.

I am also without a placement and received the email today. I've replied asking some questions about the process of being an 'alternate' including if we can still decline a placement once there, if they will fund accommodation in Tokyo etc.I'm actually not that fussy so fingers crossed we still might get a placement before going anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by Giro View Post
    Hello all, only came across this forum today wish I'd seen it before, very useful to know what is happening elsewhere.

I am also without a placement and received the email today. I've replied asking some questions about the process of being an 'alternate' including if we can still decline a placement once there, if they will fund accommodation in Tokyo etc.I'm actually not that fussy so fingers crossed we still might get a placement before going anyway.....
    They will fund your fund hotel in Tokyo or where orientation is. You only have to provide airfare. I hope you and tairygreen can finally book tickets now !

Quote Originally Posted by Giro View Post

For flights from the UK, use one of these:

H.I.S. Europe Ltd.
    Home - Cheap flights to Japan, Hotels, package holiday deal - Japan Travel Centre

I used HIS for my flight to Hiroshima and it's a good deal - 725 quid, return flight, London > Seoul > Hiroshima. They offered some other good flights too - Virgin special direct to Tokyo from London for quite a reasonable price.

DO IT FAST! It's Obon and Olympic time, and I had big difficulties finding a spot on a flight full stop.

Anyway, glad to know that you've been offered the alternate status. They set you up in a place that other teachers use, give you odd jobs and other things around the office, keep you around and well kept. At least you're IN Japan, though!

Has anyone received their CoE by mail yet?
    Oh, Arsene Wenger's magic, he wears a magic hat / and when he saw the double, he said I'm having that

I have not received my CoE yet. I will be placing a call on Sunday to see what the status is on that and will post an update for everyone.

Airfare!

For those of you looking, I have found some marvelous alternatives to the big money sites. Vayama.com, skyscanner.com, and fly.com are pretty darn comprehensive. I will be purchasing it today and let you know what I find.

Hmmm, I sent an e-mail (was going to call, but it was around what might be their lunch time, so I e-mailed) last night asking what was up with the placement situation. I received a very nice reply stating that they'd be getting in contact with everyone over the next 2-3 Japanese business days. It asked for the best number and the best time to reach me at. The e-mail also said to please wait to purchase airfare until the placement is confirmed. The other two people who got hired from my seminar both got their placements already, so I feel a little anxious.

Congrats Taikokan! Welcome to the forum.

I booked my ticket to Osaka to stay overnight then Shinkansen down to Hiroshima for Orientation on the 19th August. Anyone received any info on assignments yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tairygreen View Post
    ...I have not received my CoE yet. I will be placing a call on Sunday to see what the status is on that and will post an update...

I just got an email confirming my CoE is en route.
    Last edited by patrickpants; July 20th, 2012 at 15:07.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickpants View Post
    Hey Patrickpants, when were Interac first expecting for you COE to arrive?

Quote Originally Posted by patrickpants View Post
    Same here!

It's supposed to arrive on the 23rd of July, after which I'll have to mail it along with the visa app to Chicago and wait. Cutting it kind of close for an August 13th orientation date, but I'm relieved it's finally in the mail.
    Oh, Arsene Wenger's magic, he wears a magic hat / and when he saw the double, he said I'm having that

Quote Originally Posted by calebrulezz View Post
    Hey Patrickpants, when were Interac first expecting for you COE to arrive?
    I was in the batch that arrived on July 9th, and it is expected to be received at my home address around the 23rd.

That's a bit worrying for me; they said that they expect my CoE after 30 July, but if it takes that long to arrive, I won't have the visa before I need to fly. Ugh, looks like another phone call is needed ><

Quote Originally Posted by tairygreen View Post
    I have yet to receive a placement, but I did receive an email today stating that I could attend the Tokyo training on the 21st and receive my placement later. Sounds a little bit....anxiety laden as they can basically give you an assignment with no option to back out. Conversely, I am definitely not waiting until spring.

I'm in the same boat, booked my flights and off to the embassy now for my working holiday visa.

I'm sure everyone received the Facebook group invite e-mail. Anyone else a bit scared of joining? On the one hand, it does seem like a good networking place to meet other ALTs, but on the other hand, there's probably a lot of negative stuff on my Facebook I wouldn't like Interac to see...

Unless you're a blinding racist/drug addict/murderer/kiddy fiddler with proof on your Facebook, I wouldn't worry. Once you have your first enkai, you'll be so boozed up that any pics on Facebook will pale in comparison. It does have some good links and discussions on it so definitely give it a look.