Thread: Non-teaching Job in Japan - Accomodation Questions [Tokyo]

Default Non-teaching Job in Japan - Accomodation Questions (Tokyo)

Yo,

I'm moving to Tokyo in mid-August as a recruitment consultant and I'll be working in the Jinbouchou area (Chiyoda-ku)

Unfortunately, the company is a start-up so while they're paying my flights, they won't help with accomodation and my salary (base) is circa 3,000,000. It's a commission-based job, obviously, but I will be in training and unlikely to receive any commission (or pay for a month) until about 4-6 months in so I need to live somewhere v. cheap (but fairly convenient for Jinbouchou)

They'll pay travel up to 50,000 a month so that pretty much means I can live anywhere - but does anyone here know the area, any who would be able to suggest where to look, or any good websites etc?

Obviously I've done some research myself and am looking into a couple of places, including Koutou, but I figure some people on here might have some invaluable experience....

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Non-teaching Job in Japan - Accomodation Questions (Tokyo)

You could always try the hostels in and around asakusabashi area. I remember meeting a few people who were living in them for a couple of months for about 300$ /month or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

If you are looking for your own place, you should find a place near Sugamo Station. It's cheap and on the Yamanote. It's also only a 9min ride to Jimbocho on the Mita subway line.

This is easily his best option since it is cheap and a direct line. You probably wants to consider something under 70,000 a month for now. Recruiting is a tough business, and you aren't guaranteed a bonus anytime soon so you shouldn't move into anywhere too expensive.
    once you start raking in the yens you can always upgrade!

Good luck.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

You can move far away but it depends on what kind of commute you want to suffer through. Jimbocho has a few lines so you could like take the Shinjuku side all the way through Koto/Edogawa/Chiba, but you would have to deal with a maniac commute on a daily basis! It can be very stressful! I think it's worth paying a bit more money to be closer to where you work. If you don't care about a big place then you have many options, just google tokyo apartments and you can find many English options!

I'd advise that hyperdia is your friend.
    Check what train lines go to the station near your office and follow them out up to half an hour or so.
    Lots of people when finding a place in a big city make the mistake of thinking the more central and physically closer to work the better- which often means they end up having to transfer 3 or 4 different lines to get to work when they could have gotten a cheaper and nicer and more convenient place if they'd looked a bit further out along the train lines that connect to their office's neighbourhood.
    Also, sometimes living one or two few stations further away can be a good thing for the commute- means you're more likely to get a seat on the train

If you're willing to live somewhere small then you shouldn't have that much trouble finding a cheap place even in central Tokyo. Tokyo really has an advantage there over many other big cities. I've seen adverts for places for well under 100k a month even in the fashionably central parts of Tokyo.

More directed advice- I notice jinbocho is on the hanzomon line just a few stops from Kinshicho. I've a friend who used to live there, its a really nice and pretty cheap area to live.
    Last edited by Tyr; June 21st, 2012 at 14:41.

if you dont mind living in a shoebox you can find places under 4man a month.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Thanks guys this is massively useful - I'm going to have a search based on those suggestions and let you know.

What are your opinions on Sakura House (just to start maybe, CBA wait for internet... took like a month and a half to set up last time!)

Also make sure you know your rights as a worker! I had a friend who just got fired from a recruiting job, right before they were to pay his bonus. He kept getting good reviews and the clients liked him, but they fired him for no reason and due to his contract he couldn't do anything else! Also be careful that your base salary isn't loaned out! At his job he did have a minimum salary, but those were loans against comissions, so he wouldn't make extra money until he had enough comissions to go above the base salary.

Recruiting seems like a very difficult industry and some of the companies are very bad, but you can make a lot of money! Just be careful!

Thanks for the advice guys - it is a difficult industry. Fortunately I've been interning for the company's London office for about 4 months now so I now know the company well enough to know I'm not going to get screwed over; I've also checked the contract very carefully and asked all these questions. I said it was a start-up but fortunately it's just this 100% subsidiary 'international' part that is the start-up, the parent company itself is fortunately v. established. Going to be wary anyway though!