Thread: Quick Car Tax Question

Default Quick Car Tax Question

If I sell my car to someone, do I get a refund for the taxes I just paid, or is that only when I dispose of the car?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Default Re: Quick Car Tax Question

The way it worked when I bought my car was that I paid them for the taxes they'd already paid (on top of the price of the car). e.g. my car was 20 man but they had just paid the taxes on it so I paid 23.5 man.

Cool; that makes sense. I didn't wanna be a dick and charge the guy for taxes if I was just gonna get a refund later. I feel better now.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

What happens if you didn't pay the car tax... and you didn't get another notice about paying the car tax... and you sell your car to someone...?

you probably wont be able to transfer ownership of the car properly without a valid tax document. if you dont do that you'll continue to get tax bills for the car even though you dont own it.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I have the answer!

You don't get a refund if you are selling the car to someone else, only if you scrap it.

Also, if you didn't pay taxes, you call the tax office and they send you another paper with no repercussions.

I have a car still 20 months shaken, 77man meleage I want to dispose it.

Take it to a dealer or a disposal center; shouldn't be too much (I got rid of an old kei for under a man).

Unless it's just a really sh*t car, though, you could probably sell it. 20months of shakken means it might still be worth the cost of the shakken.

Also, driving a car for 770,000km is probably some kind of a record in Japan; you might be able to get some sort of prize for that.