Thread: International Remittances

Default International Remittances

I've been looking online on different ways to send yen to my home bank account. There's international wire transfers, but both the sending and the receiving banks charge fees (usually around 2,000-4,000 yen). Another option is using an intermediary company that you transfer to domestically, avoiding the international transfer fee. The two main ones seem to be http://www.xe.com and https://www.golloyds.com/index/en. XE seems to have lower fees, but I'm not sure about how the exchange rates compare.

Anyone have any experiences/recommendations?

Default Re: International Remittances

All it takes is a look at the website to see that XE has better rates. Dunno about the service but there's someone over on the official JET forums who seems pretty into XE (JET Programme Forums • View topic - How to use XE in Japan!!!) But it seems that you need to have opened an XE account back home first, not really sure. Most members here are GoLloyds. They do charge 2000 yen each time but if you're sending a lot it doesn't really matter, imo, and it's easy. Once you make a furikomi card at your bank you just send it and its there in 2 business days(ish).

As a recommendation for general information about Japan you might get more views in the Japan / JET / School Related forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Default Re: International Remittances

stuff a soft toy full of 1man notes and send it through the post to your bank manager
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    All it takes is a look at the website to see that XE has better rates. Dunno about the service but there's someone over on the official JET forums who seems pretty into XE (JET Programme Forums • View topic - How to use XE in Japan!!!) But it seems that you need to have opened an XE account back home first, not really sure. Most members here are GoLloyds. They do charge 2000 yen each time but if you're sending a lot it doesn't really matter, imo, and it's easy. Once you make a furikomi card at your bank you just send it and its there in 2 business days(ish).

As a recommendation for general information about Japan you might get more views in the Japan / JET / School Related forum!
    Thank you for your response. I'll take your advice on posting in the future. I did open an XE account, and the rates are similar to GoLloyds, but without the 2000 yen charge. I recommend it, it was easy to sign up for. I think you can probably open it from Japan, as long as you use an address and bank account from your home country.

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    All it takes is a look at the website to see that XE has better rates. Dunno about the service but there's someone over on the official JET forums who seems pretty into XE (JET Programme Forums • View topic - How to use XE in Japan!!!) But it seems that you need to have opened an XE account back home first, not really sure. Most members here are GoLloyds.

I thought Golloyds had stopped accepting new member registrations?

Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I thought Golloyds had stopped accepting new member registrations?
    https://www.golloyds.com/index/en They're open for business again.