Thread: ECC application questions

Default ECC application questions

Hi, I searched for some threads on ECC, and didn't find anything specifically about the application.

I have some general questions about their application, if I can get some input. I've been rejected after the JET interview twice, so I'm not a total newbie with the applications, if that helps.

Link to the app if anyone wants to see: https://recruiting.ecc.co.jp/online/canada/index.php

I emailed their Toronto office about this, too, but does anyone know how long they want answers for stuff like, "Please tell us about your character/personality and your interests/hobbies?" I've got my JET SOP to repurpose here, but I don't want to inundate the poor sap who has to review the applications that day. Update: Received email back, they say do whatever you want. wtf, great

How long do you see yourself working at ECC?
    Realistically, two years. Unless it sucks, or until I find a better option. But what's the smart answer here?

Why would you like to go to Japan?
    Likewise, I have a decent answer for this pertaining to Japanese family+friends, general long-standing interests in Japan, and previous travel experience in Japan. Any pitfalls to avoid here that'd be different from the JET app?

Would you like ECC to arrange accommodation for you in Japan?
    I'm thinking yes. Any reason I wouldn't? Even if my Japanese friends can help, no guarantee I'll get a position near them.

Last thing. My placement preference is in the Kanto area, since that's where I've been and where all my friends are. But from some other threads, I've read about severe delays and hiring freezes for Kanto applicants? I'm thinking I'll check the boxes for Kansai and Chubu, but fill out the optional field to show a strong preference/reasoning for Kanto? I don't mind waiting 4 months to get into Kanto. After 4 months, I'd just rather go anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by bird; August 10th, 2012 at 03:18.

Default Re: ECC application questions

I advise you to keep it as concise as possible. You've already mentioned it, but this poor bugger has to wade through how many of these in one day?

Character/Personality question - answer honestly. Reuse points from your SOP if you want. If you have experience in Japan, bring it up.

How long - 2 years. Mention that if you're unhappy, you will finish your contract before leaving.

Put Kanto as your preference but be aware that it might not happen. I'm going nowhere near my requests (Interac) but as long as you're open, you'll be more able to find work in Japan once you're there.

Good luck!

I'm not ECC but just as (maybe) common sense I don't think I'd mention anything about leaving (even if it's with the intent to say you'd stick it out no matter what). Just the mention of being unhappy and leaving is going to leave a stronger impact than your attempt to show your ability to "suck it up".

I get where you're going with it but I'd just not mention negatives. If you want to assert your ability to not panic and gtfo of a situation, talk about an experience that exemplifies it and let it speak for itself as your ability to handle different situations and persevere, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Thanks or the advice. I'm with Page on not needlessly highlighting a negative.

If anyone else can share, it'd be a big help. I guess I'll have to spread out to some of the other communities. Been a bit harder grabbing info on ECC, as opposed to the big ALT companies or even the other big eikaiwa companies.

if you're looking for the type of people who end up working for ECC might I suggest smearing your questions in shit on the walls of the toilet at your local truck stop.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Already did it. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Even if it was a bit obvious.
    Last edited by bird; August 9th, 2012 at 23:02.