Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here finished Heisig?

Banned

Default Anyone here finished Heisig?

How did it work for you?

Not sure whether or not I should do it, but I'm thinking of applying brute force.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Cuz

You know it's kind of a random thing, but the further I get into the book (337 and counting!) the more fun it gets. I suspect it's actually not fun and my brain is just telling me it is so I don't stop, but doing the reviews and actually getting large chunks of them right is pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Here's a question - how do you get Anki on iPhone to start showing leeches again? I don't really want to have gaps in my Kanji knowledge, see.

Dunno. I'm using the beta website and 2.0 beta right now. I haven't hit leaches yet (still at only 500 kanji in my database). I would imagine you'd need to use the desktop app to reset leeches.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Which is tricky when you've jailbroken your iPhone, illegally acquired the app and need WiFi to send things to it from your computer. Nevermind.

Wow. That's a complicated way to do things. Why not just use the desktop app in beta, uploaded to the website, and use the beta website for review. Almost as fast as the app, then no more stupid sending media files to a busted application.

Well I was using it in the UK, where that's not really feasible to do over 3G. And now I'm in Japan I have to wait another 2 weeks or so for an internet and phone, because Japan, etc.

If you remember which cards they are you should be hit the gears, search for it, and then choose suspend in the actions menu. Searching for tag:suspended might work, I don't have an iPhone handy to try

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Ahh, I really do have to pick up my pace though... I keep slacking off on busy days on learning new cards. 100 down, 2100 to go.

*Kicks self in ass*
    Yea I forgot about Anki for a while (read: lazy) and now I have about 1700 cards queued to burn through.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

I love my Monday's where I have over 300 reviews/day to do as I don't anki on weekends.

HA. Now I feel like I accomplished something.... started lesson 20 in v6, 548kanji in, and I "feel" like I know things... Do I know things? nah... but I FEEL like it.

woah. That's rough man.

Okay, I've been slacking for a week (too much stuff to do w/ speech contest and crap) and now my review count is horrid. FML, now I know why they say that keeping up is important.

Yeah it sucks. One thing you can do is to go through and click yes to all of them. Kind of like a reset. But don't do it unless you find it's impossible to get back on top of it.

Default Re: Anyone here finished Heisig?

I should be finished in a few weeks, I'm at about 1500 kanji and still going strong, so I'd definitely recommend it. I'm still a Japanese beginner, but before Heisig I was struggling through the 15ish kanji per week per chapter of Genki, with very poor retention. At that rate, I figured it would take years to get through the common use set! Now six months later I'm almost done. Heisig was a game changer, but it's not quite the silver bullet he makes it sound like in the introduction. First, it's only meanings, and has no readings or example words, so it's just the first half of the battle (although I think it's by far the hardest half). Second, I think you really need to make your own very rigorous randomized self-testing the main part of your kanji studying routine, rather than occasionally running through flashcards as he recommends. 最後に, they aren't at all ordered by frequency so it's not really worth it unless you're planning to go all the way and finish the book (I learned gall bladder in the first chapter, and just got to 食 and 飲 in chapter 39...) Check out quizlet.com and search for "Heisig chapter x" for pre-made flashcard sets and games, as well as Reviewing the Kanji for crowd sourced help coming up with the stories. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Maninguenice View Post
    I should be finished in a few weeks, I'm at about 1500 kanji and still going strong, so I'd definitely recommend it. I'm still a Japanese beginner, but before Heisig I was struggling through the 15ish kanji per week per chapter of Genki, with very poor retention. At that rate, I figured it would take years to get through the common use set! Now six months later I'm almost done. Heisig was a game changer, but it's not quite the silver bullet he makes it sound like in the introduction. First, it's only meanings, and has no readings or example words, so it's just the first half of the battle (although I think it's by far the hardest half). Second, I think you really need to make your own very rigorous randomized self-testing the main part of your kanji studying routine, rather than occasionally running through flashcards as he recommends. 最後に, they aren't at all ordered by frequency so it's not really worth it unless you're planning to go all the way and finish the book (I learned gall bladder in the first chapter, and just got to 食 and 飲 in chapter 39...) Check out quizlet.com and search for "Heisig chapter x" for pre-made flashcard sets and games, as well as Reviewing the Kanji for crowd sourced help coming up with the stories. Good luck!
    I agree, it's something which you need to commit to finishing and get it done as quickly as possible. Because you need to do all of it or you'll miss some really basic kanji but if you spend too long on it you'll just get annoyed that you're not learning actual useable Japanese very quickly or effectively. Ideally finish Heisig before you get here I would say. I got about 2/3rds done before I came then left it for months and have only just now got back up to around 1700. I'm just doing it as a side to other studies now and trying to not make it too time-consuming. It does come in more handy than you'd think though.

Oh and yeah everyone should use a SRS system for everything, especially Heisig. I can't imagine how it'd work without it. Anki is probably the best. Or there's the kanji.koohii site.

Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

It seems like all of its posts were just copied from elsewhere. Is it some kind of bot? I don't understand what the purpose of this was...

Not sure either but it gave me as a new learner of Japanese a new method to use, combining it with Anki seems like a great idea too! Thank you anonymous bot for bringing forward something useful and thanks Jiggit for the Anki suggestion!