Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here finished Heisig?

Quote Originally Posted by Seimore View Post
    Not sure either but it gave me as a new learner of Japanese a new method to use, combining it with Anki seems like a great idea too! Thank you anonymous bot for bringing forward something useful and thanks Jiggit for the Anki suggestion!
    Anki is a better program by far but the simplest and easiest is Reviewing the Kanji

Basically it has the kanji and user stories so is super easy. But anki is more flexible and customisable.

Also use Anki or another SRS flashcard program for everything to do with language learning. Words, sentences, whatever, make a flashcard and shove it in there.

Default Re: Anyone here finished Heisig?

Sounds great, I'm setting up ANKI for my phone since I have long travel times to and from work currently. Hoping to power in as much Japanese study as I can between now and when I get there.

Wish I took a semester of study before graduation, but I've got buckloads of free time so as long as I can keep committed to 1-2 hours a day I'm sure I'll pick some of it up. I'll just continue lurking through the threads in here and picking up some study tips and good learning programs.

Anyone else find themselves learning the occasional new English word from Heisig? Today's gem... "silage". And of course there are all those tree species...

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

All the time. Like wtf is a brocade?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    wtf is a brocade?
    If I hadn't already known you were straight I would now.

Not from Heisig, but my most WTF kanji moment is from learning 玲 "sound of jewels". Jewels make a sound?

I'm a little confused here. I picked up the Heisig books from my uni library and it seems like a decent method to remembering the visual look of kanji to associate it to a word in English but not really the Japanese meanings and how the kanji works... Is this really a good method for someone like me who is beginning to get into Kanji? Will I regret having these associations made?

Not sure if I explained that correctly at all..

You've hit one of the major weaknesses of Heisig right on the head. It's pretty helpful for learning how to write kanji and how to differentiate them, but it doesn't really teach you how to read it. It doesn't really hurt to go through Heisig and learn readings from other sources though. Experiment with some different methods until you find something that works.

Think of kanji as an alphabet with 2200+ characters in it. It might not be immediately useful, but the speed at which you can learn Japanese afterwords is amazing, and your general understanding goes wy up

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Seimore View Post
    I'm a little confused here. I picked up the Heisig books from my uni library and it seems like a decent method to remembering the visual look of kanji to associate it to a word in English but not really the Japanese meanings and how the kanji works... Is this really a good method for someone like me who is beginning to get into Kanji? Will I regret having these associations made?

Not sure if I explained that correctly at all..
    As RL mentioned earlier, Heisig only really starts to become helpful after you've put in a lot of study hours. It is easier to learn a Japanese word when you already know how to write and generally understand the meaning of the characters involved, and it also helps you guess at the meaning of a lot of words you don't know, but it won't start coming together until you've been studying for a while. Just remember to combine Heisig with other types of study, because by itself it won't be very useful at first. I definitely don't think you'll regret learning the characters, but some of them are pretty high level and if you're just getting started you might want to learn some basic kanji regardless of where they appear in Heisig.

I suppose that's a pretty valid way to look at it, which made me realize something very important about Heisig.

It's not part of the path for people who are "learning" Japanese for the sake of being on JET or something... it's for people who are trying to learn Japanese for some type of long term gain. IE they will be in Japan for a very long time and they expect to need high-school level Japanese ability (and this is the first step to that really) for whatever they are doing.

Thanks for the advice, I'll stick with it if that's what more experienced minds think! I definitely don't just want to learn Japanese for JET. I strive to learn languages for common day use, especially because in Sydney I've found my Korean helps tourists occasionally and is fun to communicate with and the basic Japanese is great to use too!

I am having thoughts on a long term career but that's very off topic for this subject, my next question on topic would be that if Heisig doesn't teach the On and Kun reading, what is a good method for learning this in combination with Heisig?

I think you need to look more closely at what the heisig method is trying to teach you, how it works with learning/memory, and why he puts out a second book you do AFTER you are finished the first to learn on/kun readings, which most people say is a colossal waste of time.

Well fair enough, only just started it so I haven't gone too far in! I plead ignorance as to where the book is going and just had a little bit of trepidation investing study time into something I wasn't sure was giving what I needed! Sounds great once people explained it better and I'll stick with that for my Kanji needs!

Update for anyone who cares:
    Anki mobile 2.0 for the iOS is now available, and seems to work very well. No syncing problems, no random crap to deal with. Just use your ankiweb account and go.

On a personal note, I actually like the iOS version look and feel a bit more than the desktop client to be honest.

I like talking to myself a lot. SOOO

Finally caught back up on my Heisig reviews, and will have to start adding Kanji again on Friday. It's been a long time but it's time to break the 700 mark and aim for 1k.

I find hitting the KORE deck at the same time is helping some of the kanji stick in my head better. It's an odd thing really, but it seems to work.

I've been so behind in my Heisig reviews since I started making cards from kanken study books as well. I want to get back into it, but I've probably forgotten a good two or three hundred by now ... damn.

On frame 1977 of 2042 (using the older 4th edition) ... so close I can taste it!

Edit: やった!Oh sign of the snake, you just became my favorite kanji. Damn that was a long seven months. Now, on to bigger and better things... namely lots and lots of anki reviews. And by bigger and better of course I mean tedious and time consuming. I'm feeling an odd mixture of elation for reaching a milestone I've been looking forward to for so long, and trepidation as I think about all those readings and compound words yet to learn before I can actually begin to use these damn shapes in my head.
    Last edited by Maninguenice; November 18th, 2012 at 02:46.

Haza! Almost 3/4 done. 1500 in the anki deck, 700 left to go.

Then I can pretend I actually know something, but still be just as useless at Japanese as I already am. Looks like I'm on pace to finish in about 2 more months (at my slow to glacial speed).