Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Cuz

Heisig.

I'm doin it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Default Re: Cuz

for all the criticism it gets in terms of being able to take an educated guess at what something means after only 2 months of studying you cant go far wrong with it. Makes figuring out what all the chicken scratch on the 2000 memos you get given daily are going on about a lot easier.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

If it works for you, great. For me, it was just easier to memorize things rather than make up stories.

i found it good because i could fire through 10-30 new kanji a day which is something I could never do using the time tested japper system
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I tried it when I arrived. It was ok at first, but I found the "stories" for the more complicated kanji were getting harder to remember than the kanji itself. The easier stuff has still stuck with me almost three years later, though.
    ...because Japan.

Ya... Not sure I'm doing it right, but I'm not making up these super detailed stories. Just simple ones with the keyword meaning in them with a description of the kanji components. (I'm not much of a mental picture person and this was the suggestion a friend of mine gave me who is very similar to me.)

If the thing works, then I'll be happy. If it doesn't, well I won't have really wasted any major time all things considered. I mean summer holidays are coming and all and what else am I gonna have to do at work after I'm done planning for the immediate future in class.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Don't worry about doing it "right", just do whatever works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    Don't worry about doing it "right", just do whatever works for you.
    word
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Heisig is cool, I got through the first thousand pretty quick and it definitely helps being able to understand stuff even if you can't really use it too much otherwise. It really does bog you down around 1500 though cause the stories get pretty damn impossible to make let alone remember.

I'd say if you can do it quickly then go for it but you shouldn't take the time if it's bogging you down. I've already spent way too much time on it.

I'd vouch for Heisig's system no end. It's the reason I can read a lot of Kanji compared to the rest of my Japanese ability.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

Ya, it's kinda fun making the cards in my anki deck. Good to know/understand yet another random application, and hopefully I get some awesome kanji knowledge out of it.

That being said, the biggest reason is I want to bad ass my JLPT 1 and Kanken pre2/2 in two years. If I don't have a lofty goal, I'll never work towards anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    A year in and you're just now looking at Heisig? Good luck with kanken; my friend who's functionally fluent, passed JLPT N1 and has studied Japanese since junior high just passed the 4.
    Thanks! I'm being helped by a friend of mine who has his pre-1 after 3 years of study and barely did Japanese study in Uni. Now he might just be stupidly smart, but I like to think that it can be done w/ the right amount of effort.

As for the year in... I didn't know if I was planning to be here a long time or not and didn't feel like working towards Japanese Proficiency (beyond what I could already do when I got here) until I knew there was a long term gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Thanks! I'm being helped by a friend of mine who has his pre-1 after 3 years of study and barely did Japanese study in Uni. Now he might just be stupidly smart, but I like to think that it can be done w/ the right amount of effort.

As for the year in... I didn't know if I was planning to be here a long time or not and didn't feel like working towards Japanese Proficiency (beyond what I could already do when I got here) until I knew there was a long term gain.
    Just bear in mind that the JLPT and kanken assess pretty different skill sets. JLPT is focused much more on overall comprehension and functional ability, while kanken is extremely literary. I suppose it would be unusual to meet someone who could pass kanken pre-1 and not JLPT N1, but the reverse is definitely not true. (Not that studying for kanken isn't a good goal, but I wouldn't get hung up on it either; it would be a tough test even for native speakers)

I asked the local JLPT1 one guy his secret, he just said he liked to read a lot and carried a book around with him. I bought some graded readers and am doing that, a lot less painful then other crap I have done.

Basically, if the stories stick they are doing their job. If the stories aren't sticking add complexity or ridiculousness. Stories with humour, sexual innuendo, etc are the ones I struggle the least with.

Also, since you're not new to Japanese and probably know a lot of kanji already I'd have flexibility built in for recognition (not sure if you're doing it traditional or lazy kanji style). But if it's "crimson" and you say "red" you got that mo'fo right.

I'm definitely a fan of lazy kanji. It is a helluva lot faster and even though you're not being tested on writing from scratch immediately you still develop that skill over time. Just make sure you DO write the characters, though. You still want to develop muscle memory for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospective View Post
    Basically, if the stories stick they are doing their job. If the stories aren't sticking add complexity or ridiculousness. Stories with humour, sexual innuendo, etc are the ones I struggle the least with.
    Strange for me I find the opposite is true. Eventually you end up with so many similarly grotty sexual stories that they just blur into one. Trying to make the stories as different from each other as possible is especially important as you get further into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospective View Post

Also, since you're not new to Japanese and probably know a lot of kanji already I'd have flexibility built in for recognition (not sure if you're doing it traditional or lazy kanji style). But if it's "crimson" and you say "red" you got that mo'fo right.

I'm definitely a fan of lazy kanji. It is a helluva lot faster and even though you're not being tested on writing from scratch immediately you still develop that skill over time. Just make sure you DO write the characters, though. You still want to develop muscle memory for them.
    Ya, I read that link a while ago. As I'm trying to practice writing more than specific reading right now I'm doing it "closer" to traditional Heisig book stuff. That being said, when I start building vocab decks that's when I will start making lazy cards.

I'm just not that good with information overload like that for long term memory so I have to work in steps. (Thank god I realize I'm a terrible learner all things considered and I've got ways to fix the problem)

Ahh, I really do have to pick up my pace though... I keep slacking off on busy days on learning new cards. 100 down, 2100 to go.

*Kicks self in ass*

Ahh, I really do have to pick up my pace though... I keep slacking off on busy days on learning new cards. 100 down, 2100 to go.

*Kicks self in ass*
    That's fine as long as you do your reviews for the day and add some new cards.

Make it a habit and soon enough, you'll finish Heisig. (Though I never did but that's 'cos I was too focused on architecture school, haha).

*Kicks self in ass*
    Yea I forgot about Anki for a while (read: lazy) and now I have about 1700 cards queued to burn through.
    I thought it was time to use a sig