Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anyone here finished Heisig?

Default Re: Anyone here finished Heisig?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Haza! Almost 3/4 done. 1500 in the anki deck, 700 left to go.

Then I can pretend I actually know something, but still be just as useless at Japanese as I already am. Looks like I'm on pace to finish in about 2 more months (at my slow to glacial speed).
    Does that include meaning and reading?

slow to glacial speed
    That's the best way to do it. Remember, you're committing yourself to consistent reviews basically for the next several years, and anki can be cruel if you get behind.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwkelley View Post
    Does that include meaning and reading?
    Not in any way you're thinking of no. Go hit up Remembering the Kanji and Remembering the Hanzi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to get a vague idea of what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    That's the best way to do it. Remember, you're committing yourself to consistent reviews basically for the next several years, and anki can be cruel if you get behind.
    Oddly enough I'm not worried about that. Stage two is massive vocab expansion, which I'll just do along the same lines. IE, grab a heisig kanji, look up it's practical words/sentences, make a few notes, keep doing that till I'm out of kanji (while suspending the kanji in the heisig review deck after it's been vocab'd). I should be able to stop the heisig reviews completely in about 4-8 months or so by actually reviewing vocab instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Anyone here checked out wanikani in any depth? I've been keeping on top of my RTK deck in anki religiously but I still feel like whenever a long buried kanji pops up chances are I've forgotten it. I think the fact that these arbitrary key words are just floating around in my head unattached to vocab and pronunciation is a big part of the problem, and to that end the wanikani system seems like it might be an improvement. However, I'm concerned about the switchover, whether learning some new radical names will shake up the RTK paradigm I've already learned. Having invested untold hours into building that up, it'd be a real shame to weaken it. Anyone made the jump successfully? Im also working through core 2k on the side, so I am tethering some kanji with vocab building, slowly but surely.

I suppose it all depends how far into RTK you are? Are you sitting near the half way point, 1100 kanji down, and have a good rhythm and end game ready, while just waiting to get there? or are you sitting in the first 1/4 and figuring it out.

Based on everything I've read, wanikani seems like a pretty decent system but highly inflexible/customizable (ie no custom mnemonics, rigid spelling tests) but does provide a more integrated learning experience which RTK frankly doesn't provide. More importantly to a "switch over", is they have very different names for all the radicals, which would make it basically a total relearning process.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I'm done with Heisig. But that's kind of the problem. At this point the majority of my cards are in the 6+ month interval zone, and I'm forgetting them. Anki serves up 50 to 60 a day, but they're all ones I've missed recently. I mean that's great, but whenever a long buried key word pops up I'm maybe only 60% likely to be able to correctly draw the character.

But if most of the radicals do have such different names, then that's game over wanikani. I'll be much better off tinkering around with the anki interval settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Maninguenice View Post
    I'm done with Heisig. But that's kind of the problem. At this point the majority of my cards are in the 6+ month interval zone, and I'm forgetting them. Anki serves up 50 to 60 a day, but they're all ones I've missed recently. I mean that's great, but whenever a long buried key word pops up I'm maybe only 60% likely to be able to correctly draw the character.

But if most of the radicals do have such different names, then that's game over wanikani. I'll be much better off tinkering around with the anki interval settings.
    Why haven't you rebuilt your heisig deck with vocabulary at this point? A Heisig deck should be reinforced/replaced with vocab learning once you're done with it.

My thought was to use core 2k to that end, reasoning that the 2000 most frequent words would use almost all of the common use kanji from RTK.

Right, but those 2000 common words have EXTENSIVE overlap of Kanji, meaning you're only really being exposed to probably 1/3 of a heisig deck at best.

That's one reason why wanikani is an interesting project, as once you "unlock" certain kanji levels it starts introducing word compounds that use those kanji you've both previously studied and have just unlocked.

Also, there are a few Jyouyou kanji that you will NEVER use or see because those words are written almost exclusively in hiragana, but likely come up in a name compound or are being held onto for sentimental reasons.

Interesting. That makes sense. What's the general procedure for rebuilding the RTK deck? Use an online dictionary to find some simple sample sentences for each kanji?

Anyone know if there is a way to get the text file of the book (I have a copy so its not stealing). I kind of like to make the cards myself instead of using premade decks. It keeps me from getting overwhelmed and also helps me remember them better.

If you use kanji.koohii.com you can control how many you add at a time as well as write your own stories and change the names of the cards and everything if that's what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by jwkelley View Post
    Anyone know if there is a way to get the text file of the book (I have a copy so its not stealing). I kind of like to make the cards myself instead of using premade decks. It keeps me from getting overwhelmed and also helps me remember them better.
    Heisig Kanji Index

I am a big fan of Heisig, I only got through 1600 but all the time I see kanji I learned there with vocab I know leading to many なるほど moments.

Can someone explain the core 2k thing. I have seen it mentioned alot. Are they the ones on Anki? it seems there are a few versions.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Default Re: Cuz

No the vocab thing. I think there is something like core 2k/6k/10k.
    Is that the same as sentence mining?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Core 2k/6k/10k were word lists from japanesepod? back about 4 or 5 years ago before they went commercial. many people had exported the lists and now they live on in random anki decks.

Default Re: Cuz

(I think they came from iKnow/ smart.fm)
    I guess I don't really know how to use them. Or which deck to get...

Shit, that was it! not japanesepod... I feel like a nub now.

Shit, that was it! not japanesepod... I feel like a nub now.
    Whatever, I don't even know how to use them haha