Thread: After-school clubs?

Default After-school clubs?

Hey guys and gals,

I'm gearing up for my first JET attempt and was thinking of suggesting an after-school club to run, but I'm not sure about the mechanics of their after-school system or what would actually be interesting to Japanese kids. I'd like to do something that has a cultural side to it, but as I'm from England there's either a perceptual barrier that I'm worried will make generating any interest difficult (eg cricket or British cuisine, hehe!) or they already have assimilated that activity or have their own, better version (eg soccer and tea).

I'm also not sure how the club system works exactly - from what I've gleaned from looking into this it seems the kids might form them themselves and then ask a staff member to supervise. If this is the case then I'm scuppered from the outset and need to concentrate on other ideas.

So, I have two questions that I have no answer to right now:

1) What on earth can I do for an after-school activity that is both cutlurally British and also likely to capture the Japanese imagination?

2) Am I even going to be allowed to run a club?

Any help would be amazing (even jokes about British stuff, hehe).

Don't bother. Kids won't be interested and after a few weeks you'll resent having to stay late at school everyday.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

You could start an English club.

Otherwise yeah no-one will understand and even if the kids want to go you'll run out of things to fill time faster than you think, at which point it'll just be an annoying chore.

Default Re: After-school clubs?

Just wait and see what your placement looks like before you go planning stuff like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

best bet would be to hope you get sent to a school with an existing english club, then gradually introduce your own ideas into it.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

At this point of the year, all the students are already in clubs that they usually like, so they are highly unlikely to leave their current club for a new one that might only last as long as the ALT does. I would say to wait until you have been at your school a while and if it looks like your school might like it, then start one when the new first years come in.

As the others said, most kids already have a very full after-school schedule so it has to be something pretty great to get them to want to do it. It would be a hard sell even for a tenured JET in a school, let alone a new one.

Wait till you have spent a bit of time in your placement and then feel the waters from there.

While having a cultural club is a nice idea in theory, as others have pointed out: can you think of a whole years worth of activities to do with just British culture? The best bet would be to form an English club if there isn't already one but again -- get a feel of the situation by putting the idea out there first before properly suggesting it.

Just thing of an activity the children can do for hours on end over and over again, like hitting a ball against a net.

Yeah, sorry, but unless you're at a really amazing school or a credentialed professional it's not gonna happen (and even then you're gonna have to find people that aren't already in clubs). I'd move away from clubs and maybe put your hopes into running something at the school festival (bunkasai) for food (but it's food and there are dangers etc. etc. so who knows, will depend on your VP). For cricket your best bet would be to get in good with the gym teacher and discuss that it's something you'd like to do with the kids and go from there.

Or like wicket said if there's an English club already you can do these things with them too!
    Last edited by Page; August 20th, 2012 at 09:34.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Good lord does this sound like a GREAT idea! Make Yet Another Pointless Club for the school to ignore. What a great way to waste your time.

Seriously, if you want it, do an English club (sooo boring) or pray you have no clubs so you can randomly flirt around the other clubs pissing everyone off so you can just leave whenever you want and not have to waste all of your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Lol.
    Huge Omedetous.

So, good idea or bad? I'm not sure... lol.

Cheers for guiding me away from such a clearly pointless endeavour guys, I'm off to slap the person who suggested it (an ex-JET). She made it sound like a sensible idea and a good USP for my application, but I guess she was at an atypical school then.

I'm very grateful for the feedback.

ありがとう ございます!

Sharing your culture and being proactive is the right way to go. Reflecting these in concrete ways will definitely give you a leg up.

Iteechadainglish
    Last edited by jwkelley; August 21st, 2012 at 10:51.

wait, good selling point for your application? so you're not a JET yet? ohhhhhh, in that case fill your application with ideas for after school clubs and cultural activities. The people who hire you will love that rubbish, its only the actual schools who will be against it.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Yeah you can still write about sharing the culture stuff with your community, I just wouldn't mention it as a school club. Use generals like school/community festivals, teaching a cooking class in your town, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    wait, good selling point for your application? so you're not a JET yet? ohhhhhh, in that case fill your application with ideas for after school clubs and cultural activities. The people who hire you will love that rubbish, its only the actual schools who will be against it.
    You're not the only one who didn't catch that in the OP. Ini is right, in the INTERVIEW they will love this crap. Before then though, don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    Yeah you can still write about sharing the culture stuff with your community, I just wouldn't mention it as a school club. Use generals like school/community festivals, teaching a cooking class in your town, etc.
    Page is right about not mentioning the club part. The whole "community involvement" BS line that we are fed they will love seeing in your SOP. Run with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Like ini said, your school will never go for any of it, but it looks nice in the SOP/interview.