Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interac Fall interview

Default Interac Fall interview

So I thought I would make a post about the fall interview process.

I applied in the spring, but was sadly too late. I did however have someone call me to tell me that they wanted to interview me.

But just not till August/September.

That time is up! I have a phone interview tomorrow (9/4/2012)

And totally nervous!.

Has anyone else gone through the phone interview??
    Also, if you pass where is it that you think you will go for the in person interview.

I'm picking orlando, since its not that far from were I live.
    If anyone has gone through the phone interview and remembers anything about it, any tips would be grateful!

thanks!
    And hope to see people at the orlando interview!

I remember the phone interview was super easy for me, but I guess it really depends who you get on the phone.

Just make sure you know a lot about what you're getting yourself into once you get to Japan. My recruiter asked me a lot of questions about how much money I was planning to bring, how I would feel living in a Leopalace apartment, if I would be alright driving to school (this is extremely important, so say yes if you really want the job and can tolerate driving, even if you'd prefer not to), etc. I said I was willing to drive and I luckily got a non-driving placement!

Just be open and friendly, is my advice to you.

Default Re: Interac Fall interview

^ thanks so much!
    the phone part is tomorrow afternoon and I feel so sick... lol
    I dont know why... I guess i really want the job.

I have my phone interview with them this week as well. I'm super nervous but I've actually spoken with my interviewer prior to this and they were very kind so I'm not as nervous as I could be. Good luck on your phone interview! I hope you get invited to the seminar!

Hi fellow Interac applicants

I had my phone interview today. Most of the questions were reconfirming stuff I'd put on the application form, and checking I understood about the job and what was required. I'm hoping to be invited to one of the seminars at the end of this month in Oxford (UK).

Good to hear!

mirrormirror! if you make past the phone interview (which i think you will) where will you be going to the in person interview??

Also, im not to sure you can fail the phone interview anymore... I also was just asked about stuff in my application. Also if I had read the pdf they had sent me...
    I said yes and the guy had asked me if I could have the money for the move...

My 15 minute interview lasted for about 3 minutes... lol. I think they just want to hear you talk and how well you can use english... of course I could be completely wrong, lol...

But I will be going to the in person interview! Hope to see people there!
    (Want to get to know some people before you go... it seems to make things easier. at least it was for my amity interview!)

Somewhere... maybe... I think I'm lost... anyone got a map?

Quote Originally Posted by TAmember2003 View Post
    Also, im not to sure you can fail the phone interview anymore... I also was just asked about stuff in my application. Also if I had read the pdf they had sent me...
    I said yes and the guy had asked me if I could have the money for the move...

My 15 minute interview lasted for about 3 minutes... lol. I think they just want to hear you talk and how well you can use english... of course I could be completely wrong, lol...

But I will be going to the in person interview! Hope to see people there!
    (Want to get to know some people before you go... it seems to make things easier. at least it was for my amity interview!)
    Interesting... No questions about past teaching experience, living/existing in another country experience? Did they ask you a few questions during the "first contact". If I recall correctly they were switching to a more half phone interview schedule i.e. half of the questions were asked during the "first contact" and the rest are asked during the second phone conversation (the phone "interview").

As a side note, it's the first section that has most of the people shifted out (i.e. when they look at your online profile) after that it varies when they kill the most people. Fall is the time when about 65% of the seminar invites pass to become ALTs (average based on the data I saw while working at the Tokyo office while I was an ALT). The number fluctuates a bit but it is the season where the most positions are open (March being the start of the school year) so they need to fill their numbers. At the same time, again, about 45% get cut either by deselecting themselves or because they really screwed up at the seminar. Either way, I know the seminar interviews are still a good 30-45 minutes long so be prepared for a bit more than the phone interview.

Still... I want to put a few feelers out... As they say: 私、気になります。*Que sparkly eyes (Props to those who recognize that in five seconds).
    Last edited by Laevatienn; September 7th, 2012 at 05:26.
    "I wonder how much effort is requires for a person to become happy. I think misfortune is a spiral. Once it starts it's hard to escape. In order to escape it takes everything you have to reach the end. Once you've given everything you can finally grasp it. I think that's what happiness means." Rena Ryuuguu

I got an email today inviting me to a seminar- for next Tuesday!! I can't believe how soon it is; I'm terrified. It seems like there's loads to prepare. I'm a bit confused about the the video demo lesson. Is that the task 1-4 that I have to do in front of the camera, or do I have to then do my own 6 min lesson after task 1-4?

Yay I passed the phone interview as well! I was a bit nervous until I realized the long pauses were the result of them typing notes about my answers. Once I realized the long pauses weren't cues for me to continue rambling it was a breeze ^-^. Congratulations TAmember2003 and Sakurahoshi! I guess now it's time to start the paper chase, get those transcript orders in, and dust off the resume. I haven't had the chance to sit down and really go over the seminar requirements yet. I think after stressing out about the phone interview all last week I'm going to take a couple of days to relax once these orders are in for the transcript and background check before stressing out over the next step.

^ im with you on that!
    I have some questions about all the paper work, so I have to call tomorrow...
    Has the people that have passed, have you picked the location of your in person interview?

Im set up for Orlando.

@Laevatienn... I really cant remember about the first part of the phone interview... i kinda had two... one in June and the another one in August... although some of the questions you asked, I think I remember. So they must of just split in between the three phone calls...
    I never really got the pauses, or if he did, i didn't pay attention, lol. I'm really good at talking to people, so i think that's a plus.

Not yet. My schedule for the end of the month is a little bit up in the air at the moment so we're waiting to get the final word on where I'm going to be before I pick a spot. Unfortunately I won't be in Orlando though.

I also had two phone interviews so I think they've changed up the process a little bit. The first one was making sure I understood what the job entails (are you sure you are willing to drive, are you still interested in applying with us, etc.) which no one should be failing (unless you're extremely stubborn and unwilling to bend on certain things) while the second one was them trying to learn more about me and my interest in Japan, if I'd been there before, and whether or not I had teaching experience, etc.

The paperwork shouldn't take too long to gather up and the background check at the site they requested takes 30 seconds to generate. My biggest worry at the moment is trying to figure out where I put my passport after my last trip.

^ man... I actually need to get one of those...
    Im a military brat... so i had one when i was a child... (still have it... I was sooo cute ^_^) But it expired back in like 98... lol

I just got back from my seminar! Went really well. The demo lesson was nowhere near as scary as I thought it would be. Hopefully I came off well. Now I play the waiting game!

^ oh! thats cool!
    How did the private (in person) interview go?
    Did you have to do another surprise lesson or anything? Or did they just ask questions and what not?

The actual interview seemed really short. Beforehand I was given some sheets of paper with interview questions to prepare answers to. The interviewer simply read through what I had written and asked questions based on my answers. No surprises. Please note that I'm UK based so I'm not sure if the US seminars are in the same format.

^ cool, thanks for the info!

I just applied for my passport... man! I had to spend the extra money to try and get it faster, and even then I might not get it on time... -.-*

I wish i could find someone going to the Orlando interview!! Ahh! lol

Whew, just finished making up the poster for my lesson! This is actually my second attempt. Initially I was going to do the directions lesson but after I made up the lesson board and did a test run I realized doing left and right could be really confusing since the way I am facing is opposite the way the students would be facing. So I scrapped it and decided to do a different lesson. It's really difficult to do a lesson in only 3 minutes! Oh well, I'll try my best!

Good luck getting your passport on time TAMemeber2003! Hopefully the demand for them is less now that we're getting into autumn. I did regular processing for mine in Oct (a couple years ago) and they had it to me within a month. And good luck Sakurahoshi! I hope you hear good news from them soon. ^-^

Yes! I got invited to the Dallas seminar! Anybody else around here going to be there? How many people are usually at these seminars?

^ i was told by one person that in her interview there were only two people.
    then another person told me they had six people in theirs.
    And I think another told me there were 18? (cant remember the number but it was kinda high) So I think it varies.

Finally was able to send off all my info for that stupid passport... had to go to 3 different places, but finally! (and they want to know why are government is going down hill... -.-)

Anyways... I had a question for the people that have done the seminar already!
    You know the lesson plans that they give us to do? How has everyone done those??
    Anyone just copy it word for word? I'm kinda thinking of doing the verbs one (option 3 I think) because it seems pretty clear. But might try directions with a card board thing...
    anyone??