Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Interac Fall interview

Default Re: Interac Fall interview

Do you get to choose activities? I didn't have options. I just had 4 tasks to do in front of the camera. The 3rd task was an elementary school warm up, and the 4th task was to teach directions to a junior high class. They gave me a set idea for the directions but I was allowed to modify it as much as I wanted.

Yeah, they allow us to choose from three different scenarios. Option one involves shopping, option two is directions, and option three is irregular verbs.

Yep, we get three scenarios... I was just wondering how people are planning on doing it...
    copying the guy in the video or just taking what he did and doing something else.

Also, do we have to fit everything into that 3 minutes... I thought we just taught until time was up?

Somewhere... maybe... I think I'm lost... anyone got a map?

Quote Originally Posted by TAmember2003 View Post
    Yep, we get three scenarios... I was just wondering how people are planning on doing it...
    copying the guy in the video or just taking what he did and doing something else.

Also, do we have to fit everything into that 3 minutes... I thought we just taught until time was up?
    From my demo lesson (done ages ago, I feel old) you needed to wrap it up at some point yourself. You can copy the guy if you wish. Better to stay within the bounds of the lesson (i.e. don't do something entirely new based on the outline like making a peanut butter sandwich) but I suggest bringing props or something to help, visuals are always good or so I was told back then. Your responsible for timing everything correctly so practice in front of your mirror. From a psychological standpoint and piling through my emails to find the demo lesson outlines (yay never deleting emails) I think the point is two fold. The first is if you can follow directions, can you make a lesson plan that follows the theme of Eigo Note or that new book Hi Friends(?). The second is if you can follow directions and still be creative or engaging with a lesson.

As always, my two yen, take it or leave it.
    "I wonder how much effort is requires for a person to become happy. I think misfortune is a spiral. Once it starts it's hard to escape. In order to escape it takes everything you have to reach the end. Once you've given everything you can finally grasp it. I think that's what happiness means." Rena Ryuuguu

^ cool thanks! I dont think I would follow it to the T, but I was just trying to get a feel about how thinks should be done... I was either going to go for the irregular verbs or directions... (bought poster board and everything, lol)

I don't know if copying the demo word for word is a good idea since it doesn't show that you're creative or you know how to put together a quick lesson. However I wouldn't stray from the format very far either. For example I'm going to do the shopping lesson and I'm going to keep the same conversation format but I picked different items and will use different questions after the "I bought a/an x".

^ I see I see. thanks so much!

I had a quick question about the self introduction...
    I noticed in the video that they give use, the guy talks in japanese and english... but what he says in japanese is not the same thing as he says in english... What is throwing me off is that he is introduction him self in japanese and saying thank you in japanese and then re introduces himself in english and seems to be saying something completely different and then thanking everyone again...

Is it just more or is that confusing?? Should we do that in our self intro or can we just start off with a little bit of japanese and then finish in englash?

thanks so much!

I had a quick question about the self introduction...
    I noticed in the video that they give use, the guy talks in japanese and english... but what he says in japanese is not the same thing as he says in english... What is throwing me off is that he is introduction him self in japanese and saying thank you in japanese and then re introduces himself in english and seems to be saying something completely different and then thanking everyone again...

Is it just more or is that confusing?? Should we do that in our self intro or can we just start off with a little bit of japanese and then finish in english?

thanks so much!
    Hmm, the direct answer... don't worry about it. Start in Japanese and end in English if you have to. If I remember correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong) they ONLY expect you to at least introduce yourself in Japanese (watashi no namae wa Laevatienn desu [emphasize the su like the foreigner you are! Please don't emphasize the su... it bugs me to no end hearing the tacky, extended su~ when talking in Japanese with others]). After that you can start with your name again if you wish then go on in English. Basically, do what you can comfortably in Japanese and the rest in English. If all you can say is I like X sport and Y drink in Japanese, great, then move on to English to say you've worked in a junior high before or TA'd in college. Simple as that. Don't over think it. Simple is best. Good luck, and make sure you have fun while doing it as that really helps.
    "I wonder how much effort is requires for a person to become happy. I think misfortune is a spiral. Once it starts it's hard to escape. In order to escape it takes everything you have to reach the end. Once you've given everything you can finally grasp it. I think that's what happiness means." Rena Ryuuguu

^ thanks so much! I was going to just to the intro in japanese (since I know very little), but the video was just bothering me about it... lol.

And yes, no su at the ending, lol. Man I can see myself messing that up now. lol

^ thanks so much! I was going to just to the intro in japanese (since I know very little), but the video was just bothering me about it... lol.

And yes, no su at the ending, lol. Man I can see myself messing that up now. lol
    This next bit of advice applies to all who don't know Japanese. Japanese is a five vowel language. The five vowels are A (ah) I (e as in need but shorter) U (ue as in blue but shorter) E (eh) and O (oh). Listen to a Japanese person saying these for a perfect rendition. Each vowel is a certain length, there is no extending of vowels like in English. Clip off at the end of saying a vowel. With just the five vowels and the static length vowels in mind your Japanese will sound ten times better. Watch this cheesy song and notice how clipped the vowels sound even though they are still slightly exaggerated by the singer. Complete Japanese Alphabet Song - Katakana - Hiragana - 日本語 - YouTube

Hi everyone!

I've stumbled upon this site while doing research on Interac and have found many informative posts that has helped ease many of my concerns.

I had my phone interview back on August 28th, and am attending the New Jersey/New York seminar this weekend. I was just curious to know if anyone else in the forums will be there. I look forward to meeting you guys there, and best of luck!

^ good luck!! Ill be at the orlando interview in two weeks!!
    So nervous!!

Quote Originally Posted by MotionBlue View Post
    Hi everyone!

I've stumbled upon this site while doing research on Interac and have found many informative posts that has helped ease many of my concerns.

I had my phone interview back on August 28th, and am attending the New Jersey/New York seminar this weekend. I was just curious to know if anyone else in the forums will be there. I look forward to meeting you guys there, and best of luck!
    Hey, I'll be at the NJ/NY seminar this weekend too! So excited to wake up at 5am and ride NJ Transit, haha.

I agree - all of the information everywhere has been so amazingly helpful. I definitely plan on sharing my experiences as well. I'm going to be making my props and somewhat solidifying my presentation tonight.. 4 more days!

Good luck for those doing the interview this weekend! I'm with the group going next weekend and I'm torn between wishing it was this weekend so I can stop stressing about this and being glad I still have a week and a half to get everything polished and put together! The worst part is that after I'm done stressing over this interview I get to start stressing over the upcoming JLPT! It just never ends does it? *laughs*

Thanks!! Good luck to you too! Yeah, I really can't wait to get everything over with, but you're definitely lucky to have a lot of time to work on yours! Bad planning on my part, but I just got back from a week trip to Europe on the 16th... and then visited my best friend 2 hours away this past weekend because she's having surgery today. So I would love to have a whole weekend to dedicate to everything!

And ahh, the JLPT! I really should make an attempt at that as well.. after this weekend, I definitely need to throw my studying back into overdrive. Europe messed me up so much, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Iadran View Post
    Hey, I'll be at the NJ/NY seminar this weekend too! So excited to wake up at 5am and ride NJ Transit, haha.

I agree - all of the information everywhere has been so amazingly helpful. I definitely plan on sharing my experiences as well. I'm going to be making my props and somewhat solidifying my presentation tonight.. 4 more days!
    Haha, I couldn't have said it better myself! Here's to an early morning commute on a Saturday! Best of luck, and I'll see you at the seminar.

Hello, my name is David and to keep this thread alive, I had my phone screening today and have been invited to the Seminar/Interview in Dallas.

I saw another user was also going to interview in Dallas, which is in October, I believe. I'm going to be in Japan the whole month of October and so was invited to the second Dallas seminar on November 10th.

Like everyone else, I'm kind of freaked out about the demo lesson, more so because I will be traveling for a month and will have little time to actually put something together.

Anyway, a pleasure to meet some people going through the same situation, and if there are any other people going to the Dallas seminar, October or November, please let me know!

I only got 6 days worth of notice for my seminar! I was really shocked at that but overall I think it was a good thing as it kept the period of anxiety to a minimum. I was working full time but I put in a few days for holiday and just dedicated the days to preparing. The demo lesson is so short, you'd be surprised about how quickly the time flies by. You really don't need as much preparation time as you think.

I hope I find out soon if I'm in or not...

Hey David! I wouldn't worry too much! Before, I definitely kept over-thinking how to make my lesson unique while actually teaching something relevant with really creative content. While that's important, I think the main thing they want you to stress is just drilling your points, whether it's vocab or grammar, and giving a lot of positive reinforcement. And I think making sure you're speaking clearly and repeating yourself takes up a decent amount of that short 3 minutes. If we were actually giving a 45 minute lesson, those things probably wouldn't seem as time-consuming (I don't come from a teaching background so I have no idea). I could be totally wrong though, haha. I'm just excited to have fun with mine and hopefully not freak out my fellow interviewees with how chipper I plan on being :/ But enjoy your trip and try not to let it stress you out to much!

Oh wow, only 6 days! I probably would have had a meltdown! But in my time waiting for the seminar, I've changed my mind so much about how I want to do task 4, it's been so annoying haha. Good luck, I hope you get it! You have like one more week to wait until you hear back?