Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Interac Fall interview

Hello. I posted earlier in this thread and attended the Dallas seminar in early November. I have since then accepted an offer of employment from Interac and like everyone else am playing the waiting game.

Haven't received the online resume thing just yet, although I'm pretty sure I've already filled out at least two and they have one physical copy, so I don't know.

I have received and email to take the J-CAT (Japanese Computerized Adaptive Test). I haven't taken it just yet, but did take the sample test provided on their website.

For those wondering what it's like, it's basically like the Japanese Language Proficiency Test, very similar is structure, so if you've taken the JLPT, you'll know what to expect.

As far as the speaking part, from what I know, that's conducted around late January and you are called by an Interac employee and then asked basic questions about your day and Japanese news topics, to see if you can hold daily, basic conversations.

Good luck and congrats to everyone who has made it this far!

Hey everybody~ I've been stalking this forum for a couple months and finally decided to register :P

Like a bunch of you, I got hired by Interac for this Spring, yayy! And I interviewed in LA on 11/10, if any of my fellow interviewees are out there...?

I haven't received any info about an online resume yet, but I got the e-mail about the J-CAT test, which I just finished taking. Scored a 269, which apparently = JLPT N1, w00t<3 I passed N2 last year, so I guess this means I should quit slacking and go for N1 next time, hmm XD

For those of you who are nervous about taking it-- don't be. It's all multiple choice, and other than a few odd questions I thought the time limit they gave was plenty to answer each one. The test adjusts itself as you answer correctly/incorrectly, so towards the end you should be answering questions at or slightly above your level Little advice- you might wanna wait for some quiet time and have a bottle of water next to you because it's a pretty time-consuming test.

Default Re: Interac Fall interview

^Haha, interesting to hear a different perspective. I've only done the sample questions so far (waiting until this weekend for the real test) but I felt so stupid during it! I ran out of time on the vocab/grammar parts because I was trying to figure out what was going on. Plus the listening question that went on forever and I had no idea what they were saying.

Granted, though, I'm nowhere near N1 or N2. I've just finished a 201 course at the local community college, and done small amounts of self-study. I guess I need to ramp it up - I'm hoping to be N4, maybe even almost N3 (wishful thinking), but I'm not so sure anymore that I'm at that point.

Still, that's part of the point of going for me - immersion/force myself to learn more. I can't wait for March.....or for placements. That wait is going to kill me.

Just got an e-mail this morning with a job offer!! Time to get crackin' on that paperwork!

Congrats!!
    Welcome to the club, lol

Hello everyone! I just got the email with the job offer yesterday! That is a great load off my shoulders.

Now time to start panicking about paperwork and how to pack up my life!

Congratulations to all the new people that just got their offers of employment

I wish I'd have known that there can apparently be up to 72 hours time delay between registering with J-CAT and receiving the log in info to start the real test. I've only got 2 days left to take the test. I was planning on doing it this evening but I've got to wait for the log in info; I assumed it was an automated thing but it seems not .

I've done the sample questions and found I was never given enough time! I was barely through reading each question when suddenly the question disappeared and the next appeared! Is this how the main test is?? I couldn't even see a timer to warn me!

^ I think I got my password about 6 hours after I registered - maybe too late for you tonight, but you should probably be fine within the deadline.

(I still need to take it too......but I think there was a timer in the upper right-hand corner of the screen that counts down. I also didn't notice it until the questions started disappearing on me.)

man, I still cant believe i havent gotten that e-mail that everyone has...
    leaving in Feb... I wonder if there will be 2 different times to arrive... my recruiter told me late march.

Finally got around to taking the J-CAT, scored 15 points under Intermediate-High, which is what you have to score to be eligible for the bonus and the speaking test.

Kinda bummed, but I knew I was at an intermediate level, and am proud to almost reach intermediate-high without the help of any teachers or classes. Self taught!

I've been studying for JLPT N3, and according to the JCAT, I'm in between level N3 and N2, which certainly makes me feel pretty good and much more confident about inevitably taking the test.

The good thing is, I now know where I stand and what I have to study more of, namely grammar, which is what killed me.
    Last edited by paromo; December 25th, 2012 at 12:57.

How soon do you receive the info for the test and the resume? I only had my seminar on the 1st of this month, though, so I'm a little behind everyone.

(On the plus side I got an offer in less than two weeks. ^^; )

What up suckers!

I just got done with a Skype interview about a week ago and am getting ready to send in all my paperwork! Feeling stoked, so I thought, what better way to get over the anxiety of waiting than by reading about those who have already been down the same path!

Anyway, anyone else do the skype interview!? I feel like it's not something that is very common. And also, I'm sort of bummed I didn't get to meet anyone at the seminar. But oh well!

Hey everyone! Finally joined after lurking around for a bit since this site has been so helpful. : ) I won't graduate until this December so I am hoping to be hired by Interac for spring 2014. After some emails back and forth they recommended I apply around October if I wanted the chance to be hired in for spring 2014. I have quite some time until then so I figured I'd do as much research as possible.

I see some of you are talking about resumes. I was wondering what your resumes looked like if anyone doesn't mind sharing. I'm a bit worried because I didn't work during the college school year. During the summers though I was a live-in nanny for a family where the parents traveled due to work. I just quite after this past summer though because I am looking for "traditional/professional" work, but alas a live-in nanny is not taken seriously on applications so I've just been volunteering as a tutor for children and adults downtown. This summer I may have a paying job lined up as a tutor so I am hoping that goes through. Other than that, I'll have my BA in December (nothing related to English or education) and I will also have my CELTA certificate (not required, but I'm doing it for a number of reasons).

My lack of "traditional/professional" work experience worries me since so many people I have talked to on other sites (Japan Guide mostly) have past teaching experience or at least a BA in English or education. A lot of people on Japan Guide reassured me that being a live-in nanny or "au pair" is taken a bit more seriously in Japan and that my tutoring will look good as well... but they're always so nice on that site! : P

hey, I wouldn't worry about the resume that much. You have experience with kids and that in itself is pretty great. Interac will give you a precise outline of how they want your resume organized so don't worry too much right now all the best! Warning from now... The wait is a killer lol
    The mouth speaks what the heart is full of

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

If you take a real CELTA program you're pretty much a shoe in. It's one of the most, if not most, respected ESL instruction certificates you can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Wow, you guys reply fast! Thanks so much, I feel a bit better now! : D It is a real CELTA program here in Boston and from the reviews of previous students of it, it is ridiculously intensive. It mainly focuses on teaching adults and most people I've talked to who work with Interac teach children and/or teenagers, but I think it will still be a good experience for me!

I can't wait to see your updates when you get your placements and head to Japan! The wait seems like a killer, but you must be so excited. : )

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

So long as it's a certified course then even though it's for teaching Adults it's still good for children. The fundamentals are there, have been taught, and you can just dumb them down to child level. Because the course is so intensive, it actually teaches you a lot more than those 120hour fly-by-night tesol certs.

In many places it is seen as equivalent to university level teacher in-service ESL training (which I have), only without the heavy dose of abstract theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Gizmotech, well now you've got me worried, haha. It is a 120 hour course that takes place for one month. There were quite a few CELTA, TEFL, etc courses being offered in the area so I emailed the CELTA course I have planned to enroll in as well as Interac to ensure this is a program that they would look for and they said yes. I'll continue to do a bit more research though! : )

Also I've been reading the other Interac thread and quite a few people were saying how they applied to Interac almost a year ahead of time. Interac suggested if I wanted to teach in spring 2014 to apply around this October. Seeing as how so many people in the past applied so early, I am considering doing so as well. The only thing is I won't graduate until December and I won't be taking the CELTA course until fall. Debating whether or not to wait until I at least take the CELTA course or if I should just apply before that.
    Last edited by arosem; February 28th, 2013 at 11:47.

They let people apply who haven't graduated yet, you just have to have the degree in time to send off for the visa (so by the end of December send them a copy). There were people hired before I even applied (I went for it in November '12), so you can apply in October. It's better to be early so you can have time to find something else if things don't work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.