Thread: Game for students introducing themselves to new ALT?

Default Game for students introducing themselves to new ALT?

Hey guys, so for my self intro lessons at my elementary schools, after ive introduced myself my supervisor wants me to get the kids to introduce themselves to me. so i was wondering if anyone had any good games for this? i've been looking on the internet for a while but i can only find games for the students introducing themselves to each other, not the alt.

I have one idea of like splitting the class into two teams, then one student from each team plays janken and the winner introduces themselves to me, and the team who finishes their self intros first wins, (but the losing team still has to self intro..) Or I read something about kids racing to high five you first, though that sounds like it might get a little dangerous? lol

thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Game for students introducing themselves to new ALT?

what grade? how big are the classes? that game would work if its a small class of 15 kids but if you have 40 it'll take a long time to finish and for the majority of the time the kids will be stood around doing nothing (the devil makes light work for idle hands)
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

variation on the shopping game? teach them different ways to say 'hi' and then...

1st kid: Hello, my name is Toshi. Nice to meet you.
    2nd kid: Hi. [points to 1st kid]: He is Toshi. My name is Nanako. Nice to meet you.
    3rd kid: How's it going? [points to 1st and 2nd kids]: He is Toshi. She is Nanako. My name is Jun. Nice to meet you.

They will hopefully concentrate because they need to remember and because they may not actually know each other's first names [they would be used to using surname+san]. If it's a really big class, then break them up into groups of 10 and give the other 3 groups something else to do [colour-in alphabets or whatever] while you're doing the self-intro with one group.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Yeah, there's no way elementary school kids will be able to do that.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

leave out the pronouns, then. just have them point to the other kids and say the name.
    leave out the variation on greetings. stick to "hello".
    leave out "nice to meet you" if you have to.
    adapt at will. the basic idea will work.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Fuck my HS kids at English camp had a hard enough time at that... and I only asked em to remember two peoples names.

Edit: What age are these kids? 5/6th grade? younger? What does your classroom look like (spacious or full of desks)?

Why don't you just ask your HRT what they want you to do?
    Last edited by Gizmotech; September 4th, 2012 at 13:18.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    leave out the pronouns, then. just have them point to the other kids and say the name.
    leave out the variation on greetings. stick to "hello".
    leave out "nice to meet you" if you have to.
    adapt at will. the basic idea will work.
    sounds great fun, the 1st grade will be pissing themselves with excitement....

they will if the OP gives them a handshake and a sticker upon successful completion.

stickers....... the last bastion of the desperate teacher

thanks for the ideas, i think the classes will be like 25-30 students. The first week i'm doing grades 3 and 4 but in the next weeks i'll also be doing grades 1,2,5,6. Im going to visit this week (but not teaching) so maybe I'll ask them what they want me to do then...

could try a game where everyone introduces themselves to each other so you dont have anyone sat around doing nothing.

make up some tokens (anything will do, disney dollars/small anime or wiimii picture of you/piece of paper with "1point!" written on it/if the school already has small laminated cards with pictures on use them/ whatever takes your fancy) give each kid 3-5 tokens. everyone stand up, mingle, when you meet someone do the dialogue, rock paper scissors, loser gives the winner 1 token, move on to someone new. you can join in (maybe make it so if they beat you they get 2 tokens to encourage people to come up to you) if they run out of tokens have them go to the HRT and ask for some more.

change the dialogue for each grade, so 1st grade might just do:
    1)hello, I'm yuki
    2)hello, I'm daisuke

but 6th grade could do:
    1)hello, my name is yuki.
    2)hello, my name is daisuke.
    1)nice to meet you.
    2)nice to meet you too.

after a set amount of time stop it, have everyone go back to their seats then do the sports day style of counting up the points (everyone stands up holding all their tokens. all together slowly count up from zero. as you say each number hold a token up in the air then place it down on the desk. when you run out of tokens sit down. last kid standing will have the most tokens and therefore is the winner.) lots of clapping and good jobs, either collect the tokens if you want to use them again or if its just small pieces of copy paper you might as well let them keep them.

tokens are just stickers that take too much work to make.
    stickers/stamps are fine. my kids used to go nuts for my hanko on a piece of paper because they'd never seen a katakana hanko before.

i think ini is underselling 6th graders. they are probably capable of more than that, as long as you give them chances to practice the dialogue as a group.

I forget, how much experience does wicket have teaching in japanese elementary schools?

If you don't know the class then aim low, if it's too hard all that will happen is you'll get the 5 kids who go to after school English tutors answering everything and everyone else we be bored/pissed off. You might feel its going well because those 5 kids are talking a lot but try to keep the bigger picture in mind.

Word. You can always make an activity more challenging if it seems too easy, but you can't really make the activity easier on the fly if the kids look like they don't get it.

I have to reintroduce myself when I have 3rd and 4th grade classes, but we play a game with a timer.

Give the kids a time limit and have them shout out their names, favorite foods, animals, colors, etc, one at a time. I usually let them get away with Japanese when it's the first time we play, first time being introduced to the keywords, or when they're in the lower grades. You can keep the timer and write the remaining time on the board, or you can let the kids hold the timer.

You can easily do 3~4 rounds of this before the kids start to become bored. It's a good warm up game. If you get through all the kids before the time limit, just have them start passing back. Think hot potato.

Thanks guys! I decided to go with Inis game with the tokens. and they have to get a special token from me in order to win.

Another loss for wicket.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

?? it wasn't a competition. as ini said, my experience in elementary schools was limited to one-shots, so i could only suggest what had worked for me. i would've gone with his suggestions too.
    bugger me, i was just trying to help someone out.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.