Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 SOP support

Default 2013 SOP support

hi all!
    I would like to start a new thread for people to ask questions and contact people willing to look over their SOP for the 2013 apply-a-thon.
    (please let me know if my first post is already out of bounds for the forum!! )

I have seen such threads for previous years, but maybe these people don't want to be contacted anymore.

P.S. I am looking for someone willing to tear apart my SOP.

Default Re: 2013 SOP support

I'll look at a few this year. PM away.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

It's September right? I can look at a few too.

One of the new JETs for next year might be replacing me. I feel like I should be more involved this year.

If you can't make your own SOP then you shouldn't be teaching children.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

that's sweet, mothy. <3 I'm sure you realize this, but just to be snarky, I'll tell you.
    I've written several SOPs already, but I don't think that just because I can speak English that I'm the most interesting writer of the century.
    I'm here because many people here are kind enough to give their experienced opinion on the drivel I've written and because I'm sick of writing about how fantastic I am.

Not that I don't appreciate your supportive comment on my first thread here~!

Bribes work well.
    いいみで

Thanks for the post, star-shaped stitches. I was wondering if a thread like this existed.

Mostly, I need someone to look mine over and see if I come across as genuine and if I emphasize any one part of my essay too heavily. I'm too biased to see my essay objectively at this point. (This point being me on three hours of sleep, valiantly trying to figure out which three words I needed to cut to stay within the word limit).

...I think you can afford some more sleep, considering the process hasn't even started yet. What's with you people and jumping the gun?
    いいみで

Probably the best thing to keep in mind is that this is for a job. Don't gush about how much the experience will mean to you; spend some time pointing out things that you can bring to the JET program. Also, keep in mind that you don't have a lot of space. Say what you need to say in as few words as possible. This isn't the place for flowery crap; just get to the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Teishou View Post
    ...I think you can afford some more sleep, considering the process hasn't even started yet. What's with you people and jumping the gun?
    Sorry, that did come off as a bit obsessive. The lack of sleep was due largely to other circumstances (school and whatnot). And I'm writing my statement now only because I'm not going to have time to later. C'est la vie.

I also don't mind looking at some SOPs, but I am a mere first year and definitely didn't put as much effort into the application as some people.

PM me up.
    Last edited by aayl1; September 20th, 2012 at 17:14.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Umm. I would like to make one, rather large, suggestion. Please do your best to write in correct/proper/academic/high level English when writing both your SoP and posting here in the applying forum. It goes a long way towards maintaining an image as someone capable of doing the job, rather than just applying and hoping for the best.

I.E. don't start sentences with (And)

Ohh Mothy, we have to be nice in here. Though I might agree with you, we have to help people get into the programme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I'd say that I agree with Gizmotech, but I know he hates my guts. But good point anyway.

I'm finding, in writing my SoP, that I really miss having a printer. My skills at hunting down grammar issues on the computer are definitely inferior to my skills when I can hold the paper in my hand. Oh well, no paper for me.

Also, thanks to everyone offering to read SoPs ^_^
    Last edited by tatsuko; September 25th, 2012 at 01:58. Reason: my gender pronouns are made of fail

Quote Originally Posted by tatsuko View Post
    I'd say that I agree with Gizmotech, but I know she hates my guts.
    ??

For what it's worth, I'm willing to look at SOPs as well. Feel free to PM.

irrelevant
    Last edited by tatsuko; September 25th, 2012 at 01:59. Reason: me being a smartass douche

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Umm. I would like to make one, rather large, suggestion. Please do your best to write in correct/proper/academic/high level English when writing both your SoP and posting here in the applying forum. It goes a long way towards maintaining an image as someone capable of doing the job, rather than just applying and hoping for the best.
    This. Your request for proof-reading is like a representation of your SOP. If I were to get a request that looked like it was randomly thrown in my inbox with glaring spelling errors, I'm not even going to want to look at your SOP.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Happy to proof-read, PM away. However please don't assume that 'proofread' means 'totally rewrite' as some people who've gotten in touch in the past seem to have. One guy PM'd me 7 times with different versions of his SoP.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    I'm glad to read again. I have a high success rate with noobs.
    Can vouch for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

I'm hoping to borrow the experienced advice of some members here and bring that extra edge to my SOP. I've never written something like this in my academic career so I do feel a little out of my depth, but by taking it slowly and with some guidance I'm sure I'll get through.

You've never had to write a personal statement when applying to universities or when applying for jobs?