Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2013 SOP support

Default Re: 2013 SOP support

Try to start with something they are likely not to read in the many other SOPs they have to read. No 'I knew I needed to live in Japan when BLAH BLAH BLAH' or 'JAPAN YAY'.

I started mine with a discussion of the Maori term 'ako' (its a word that means teach and learn) and how I have used it in my personal teaching philosophy etc. etc. etc.
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

I like my first paragraph so far, however it just talks about how education has always played an important role in my life etc etc etc. I am thinking about opening up with the coin collection my mom gave me as a kid, and how my favorite coin was the 5 yen piece. I feel like my 'origin story' of how I was first introduced to Japan (reading Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes, then learning to fold origami) is kind of played out.

Also, I am looking for someone ready to brutalize my SOP in every way shape and form.

I am at a point where I am confident with the state my SoP. I'm still waiting for my reference letters, so I'll probably make a few more edits before I make the final print.

Would anyone be open to critiquing my SoP?

Most people here won't critique your SOP until you have 10 or more posts under your belt
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

Yea, I read word's lurker's sticky after posting. Duly noted =)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinyoubi View Post
    Yea, I read word's lurker's sticky after posting. Duly noted =)
    LOL Did you choose your username based on the day you signed up!? Haha

Hey everyone!

I've been reading through these PoS threads (from this year and past) and after numerous revisions based on suggestions posted, I think I'm ready to have it critically evaluated.

If anyone has free time, would you mind looking over my PoS?

Please and Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jperez09 View Post

If anyone has free time, would you mind looking over my PoS?

Please and Thanks!
    It looks like people critiquing SOPs are wanting people to have at least 10 posts. Why not take part in some discussions so everyone can get to know you? People are way more inclined to do a favor for someone who makes an effort to be part of the community and isn't just a drive-by crit request.

(And welcome to ITIL!)

So, it's getting to the point where I just have to be happy with how my SoP stands. Would anyone mind giving me their viscous, unabridged critique of it?

The more honest the better.

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    It looks like people critiquing SOPs are wanting people to have at least 10 posts. Why not take part in some discussions so everyone can get to know you? People are way more inclined to do a favor for someone who makes an effort to be part of the community and isn't just a drive-by crit request.

(And welcome to ITIL!)
    Hahaha I'm trying! But I don't want to post comments that do not have any relevant information on the forums, so it's taking me a while

You can send me through your SOP if you like, I'm not promising any great advice but a fresh set of eyes to look it over might help!

I am going to have a draft of my essay done this weekend - would someone be kind enough to give it a review? I am looking mainly for a critique of the substance, not the grammar/syntax since I will run it through a spell checker and proof it a number of times myself.

Thanks and have a great long weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by JJarmuth07 View Post
    Thanks and have a great and long weekend.
    Fixed.

Fixed?

...Instead of you know, using a comma like normal people when describing something, she stuck an "and" in there and made it somewhat strange.
    いいみで

I just reached a point where I thought my SOP was done. Then I had an awesome experience yesterday where I was able to talk to JTEs who are visiting a school nearby. We talked about what they thought made a good candidate and what some of their favorite JETs were like. Now I wanted to rewrite my SOP to include it.

Don't hesitate. I re-wrote my SoP thirteen times, then threw it all out and re-wrote the entire thing, then edited it three or four times before I submitted it. I'm glad I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

This is a really specific question regarding the statement of purpose, but I thought I'd ask. Do I need to spell out "Assistant Language Teacher" each time I use it, or can I switch to "ALT" after the first mention? Would this sound too unprofessional or casual? I'm not mentioning it every other sentence or anything, just a few times towards the end.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

It's not unprofessional at all.

I'm looking forward to being an Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) for the following bullshit reasons. Reason 1, ALTs have great sex w/ locals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Yeah that's how I did it in my academic essays through uni as well as the JET one. ^^^

I think it's standard and not unprofessional at all. The only times I would fully write out the names of organisations etc throughout an essay during uni was when I really needed to make up a word limit hah.