Thread: JET Essay

Default JET Essay

I am currently writing my JET essay. Is there anything that I should be aware of when I am writing? What should I add and what shouldn't I add. I love the pop culture but I am not mentioning that at all. I don't like anime so it isn't really a problem. I am mostly interested in the Japanese educational world. Anyone have any suggestions that will look good?

Default Re: JET Essay

As long as you strike the perfect balance between understanding that JET is a real job...as well as a temporary exchange program, you'll do fine.

You have to hit these notes

1. Why you are interested in Japan
    2. What you can bring to the program
    3. How your time on Japan will help you grow and succeed in whatever you are planning to do after JET (you can just make this up if you don't know)

Too many people spend too much time on point 1 while only briefly mentioning 2 and completely omitting 3.
    Last edited by UPGRAYEDD; September 17th, 2012 at 12:21.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

I agree that those three points are important. For me the split looked something like 30-50-20.

I spent most of my essay detailing my skills, how they relate to the JET programme and giving examples. Even if you don't have Japan-related or teaching experience as long as you show you have experience that ties into teaching in some way, experience that shows you can be culturally sensitive and adaptable you should be fine.

Write about how cool the Gangnam style guy is
    if you want proof, try math or alcohol

I just wrote whatever RL told me to. Because she's that much of a Boss.
    いいみで

I'd second what upgrayedd said, but I'd like to add that you might want to make sure that you can defend your claim of being interested in the Japanese education system because it sounds like you're just saying what you think they want to hear. They see thousands of these essays each year. Each one claiming more or less the same thing. If you are BSing, they will probably notice. Unless you are really good at it. Instead, pick your real reasons, downplay the weeaboo ones, and keep it brief. My interest was summarized in a very small paragraph at the beginning and I dove straight in to convincing them I was a bomb-ass candidate. Try to keep it focused on what you can offer the JET program. If you do include the Japanese education system, lean more on the side of working with fresh minds and experienced teachers rather than the system as a whole. Make it more about improving yourself than just a passing interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    1. Why you are interested in Japan
    2. What you can bring to the program
    3. How your time on Japan will help you grow and succeed in whatever you are planning to do after JET (you can just make this up if you don't know)

Too many people spend too much time on point 1 while only briefly mentioning 2 and completely omitting 3.
    It does depend where you're applying from, though. Last year the UK app had the third one as a question within the application itself, and wanted to hear about your teaching methods and experience in the SOP instead of that. So including it in the SOP would have been a total waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by flamingpriest View Post
    It does depend where you're applying from, though. Last year the UK app had the third one as a question within the application itself, and wanted to hear about your teaching methods and experience in the SOP instead of that. So including it in the SOP would have been a total waste of time.
    A fair point that applicants should definitely consider... though it looks like the OP is American.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

Already seeing some good advice. I didn't want to come off as snobby and ignorant of my duties as a teacher by talking about my future, duly noted that I should mention this.

I'm a budding anthropologist doing my masters by distance whilst in Japan, so mentioning this would be a good thing? I'm not sure how much detail I should add on this point, as I can get kind of carried away when talking about something I'm planning to research.

Quote Originally Posted by Seimore View Post
    I'm a budding anthropologist doing my masters by distance whilst in Japan, so mentioning this would be a good thing? I'm not sure how much detail I should add on this point, as I can get kind of carried away when talking about something I'm planning to research.
    I think they might see this as a negative as it could distract from work duties. It'd be better to say "I'm planning on pursuing further qualifications in postgraduate anthropology and participating in the JET programme would heaps help" or something like that