Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Applying for 2013

Default 2013 Applications

Hi everyone,

Pleased to find such a forum for the Jet Program(me). I know this may be a bit early to start talking about 2013 applications, but I figured that before I went through all of the trouble to apply I would consult the sages of this fair forum!

This is me in application form:

I'm currently finishing up my combined BA/MA at a SUNY school in NY. Both my bachelor's and master's will be in economics. My undergrad GPA is a 3.84, and my grad GPA is 3.75. I have taken 2 courses in Japanese (both A's), and studied abroad this past academic year at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. My GPA there was only a 3.3, but I'm hoping that it will be forgivable, as it was study abroad. I studied Chinese while I was there, but this is probably a non-factor.

I also have experience teaching undergraduate courses in economics at my university. I have been a teaching assistant for two courses, and an instructor for two other courses.

My references come from professors at my school. I expect them to be strong, as they were for study abroad last year. However, they will both be from econ faculty, as I feel they know me better than my Japanese instructors do.

I know the program is fiercely competitive. What do you think, is it worth an application? Do you think I have a shot, or am I likely to be outdone?

Thanks in advance. Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Default Re: 2013 Applications

You'll always have a shot, but it's up to you how well you relate yourself to both the program and its needs.
    いいみで

Your degree doesn't matter. No one really seems to care where they come from or if your university is accredited. Your gpa doesn't matter aside from being used to rattle you in-interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

You're not getting to the JET Program just because you felt the need to blabber about your higher than average credentials.

Though, being nice and all jokes aside, it doesn't matter. None of it matters. What matters is your intentions on the program and what you're gonna do with it once it's over.

Why JET,
    What are you going to do with JET,
    When did you show an interest in JET and Japan, and
    How are you going to combine your field with teaching in Japan
    Last edited by Merkypie; July 14th, 2012 at 22:38.

The requirements for the JET Program:
    -a pulse
    -being able to come off as a normal person in the interview
    -college degree (this is just for the visa; JET doesn't care what kind of degree you have as long as it meets the visa requirements. In fact, if you have too high qualifications, they might get concerned that you would be bored quickly and want to come home)

Don't worry so much about your qualifications as much as about how you come off in your SOP and interview.

wicket always delivers the best* in tangential and insulting commentary.

OP, just apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

OP, you run the risk of coming off as overqualified as well. If you have college teaching experience and a masters degree it's very possible they might feel you will become too frustrated being an ALT. You might want to look into what being an ALT is actually like, and be sure you are ready to go from academia to being a monkey tape recorder.

Anyway, like the others said, it's more about how you come off in the interview than your GPA and degrees.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

complaining about your situation does nothing.

i wasn't happy with my first school in osaka. i worked hard to change the situation.

i'm fucking fed up with the attitude of self-entitlement of so many people here, who think japan in general owes them a living and that their ideal placement and job should just fall into their laps without them having to put in a consistent effort over a decent amount of time, employing heaps of patience, in order to at least make their situations workable, if not enjoyable.

OP, apply. the only people who are "overqualified" are the ones who think they are too good for the job.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Is that directed at me? Was I complaining? Who is self-entitled?? Where do you go from someone suggesting a person with a masters degree and some actual REAL teaching experience might be overqualified to me being "self-entitled?"

I don't think I'm stretching it to say that an intelligent person with an advanced degree and actual classroom teaching experience could have the potential for major frustration/problems.

Nah, it was from some posts that were deleted from the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

haha, good one heartnana!

I bet she couldnt walk straight for a week after that! might want to get tested though if you know what I mean!!
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

hey! who keeps deleting posts?!?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

wtf where are the posts going?

RL mod-e-fied them to keep the thread on topic.
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

I asked her to delete my posts because being rational on the internet is for suckahs.
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    Is that directed at me? Was I complaining? Who is self-entitled?? Where do you go from someone suggesting a person with a masters degree and some actual REAL teaching experience might be overqualified to me being "self-entitled?"

I don't think I'm stretching it to say that an intelligent person with an advanced degree and actual classroom teaching experience could have the potential for major frustration/problems.
    absolutely had nothing to do with you, patjs - sorry it looked like that after some posts were deleted.
    my first time on JET i had a masters and second time i had a ph.d and 13 years' teaching experience and i agree with you - the potential is there for frustration. however, it's just a different kind of frustration from those with no classroom experience; and in some ways having worked in a staffroom in any country will prepare you for the petty bullshit and politics that happens at schools in japan. to some extent it really is a case of "same shit, different arseholes", IMHO.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Default 2013 hopeful

Hi there,
    So I will be applying to JET this year for the first time and probably only time. I applied with AEON and got an interview, but upon further review of the company and the pay decided to not go forward. Not that it is wrong or horrible, it's just not for me. JET seems to be a much better fit for me.
    I went to Japan this time last year to visit a few college friends who are natives to Japan. This was also to see if I could really live there for a year. I took sometime to really think about it and decided that this is something I should go for. If it doesn't work out, that's okay, but I really hope it does.
    I have two tattoos. A big no no in Japan. Luckily, I can easily hide them, but is it something I should disclose? Especially considering the teacher that got in huge trouble for their hidden tattoos? I'm not an idiot, I know I will be representing the program and will take every precaution to keep them hidden.
    Also, anything you would have done differently? Positive or negative?
    Thanks for the help.

Default Re: 2013 hopeful

I think you have to disclose tattoos now. No one will care as long as you can cover them up.

You should be fine with tattoos. If you get an interview, you might be asked about them.

I personally know a few JETs who are inked up (one has a pretty extreme almost full side and shoulder deal) and they've been fine.

Is it only the UK app that you have to disclose tattoos on?

If there's nothing on the US app then they don't need to know, simple as that.