Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Applying for 2013

Default Re: Applying for 2013

It's not a big deal. Just don't be a weirdo about it, and you'll be ok.

Ack. I've been super busy with work...and now the application date is sneaking up on me. I've barely looked at my SOP and only just asked my references for letters. At least I'm on top of transcript requests, and I did make an appointment so my doctor can fill out the medical form. Anyone else procrastinating and starting to feel slightly stressed? (I'm mostly just grumpy that I might have to pay $18 to mail it express if I can't get it out early enough.)

Yeah, I guess I'm with you there. I asked my referees about a month ago, but still waiting on them. In the meantime, I've written and re-written my SoP twice. I'm hoping to have everything all together by the end of the week.. I hope that's not just wishful thinking. Still chasing up loose ends.

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Ack. I've been super busy with work...and now the application date is sneaking up on me. I've barely looked at my SOP and only just asked my references for letters. At least I'm on top of transcript requests, and I did make an appointment so my doctor can fill out the medical form. Anyone else procrastinating and starting to feel slightly stressed? (I'm mostly just grumpy that I might have to pay $18 to mail it express if I can't get it out early enough.)
    $18 sounds cheap. I sent it normal registered mail, and the packet weighed over a POUND, so it was almost $9 to send from Pittsburgh to DC. Crazy.

It's not expensive, but I'm miserly. Still, it does make me feel less grumpy if it's going to cost half as much to mail it registered. What's another $9? (Though it might be moreI checked the USPS website for costs/time. There's a good chance I'm wrong.)

Everything else should be okay as long as my references are super awesome and fast with the letter writing.

I was pretty stressed at first, but it was only because I didn't have the time to actually spend on my app/sop. Everything's good now. I don't think it's good to stress on it

That's good that things are going well for you.

I'm not exactly stressing...more mildly concerned things won't get done. Still, I'll just apply next year if I can't get the app in on time. I want a change but love what I do.

I think I was just frustrated earlier when the deadline changed for a proofreading assignment I accepted. Now I have two days instead of seven to do 360+ pages. Life makes it hard to get anything done early, but that's life.
    Last edited by peanut; November 6th, 2012 at 08:54.

maybe if you haven't heard from them in a week give them a gentle "OI! where's my reference?" phone call.

Yeah, I've sent a few emails- Monday I'll just make a trip over (as I'm not too far from the Uni).

Once I have those, just need a JET to check my (finally) finished SoP, and I can relax and properly focus on my Japanese lessons! Time is flying past these days- with any luck, next thing I know it'll be Tokyo orientation!

Any advice for a current alternate applying again? I applied for the first time last year and almost made it! Unsure of how to rework my SOP... I've had a year to reflect and this is still something that I want (though a little more realistically). I attended the workshops and Japanese class the Consulate General in my city offered over the summer and just finished a TEFL certification course this month. Other than that, I spent my time job hunting and preparing for both scenarios. Limbo.
    2012 Alternate / 2013 Applicant

I'm currently enrolled on a Japanese course until the summer, so in the Japanese Language section of the app, should I put the dates as '[start date]-[expected end date]' or just '[start date] - present'?

anything i am still doing/studying/whatevering i put [date started] - present.

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Very,very stressed, right up until this morning when I got word that my friend who's carrying my recommendation back stateside for me definitely got it into the mail. The Mozambican mail service leaving something to be desired, I have about five envelops converging from all over on a good friend back home who will collate everything for me, and get a very nice おみやげ. Can't wait to be back in a developed country!

Got mine sent off today. I must have checked it was in order about 10 times.
    Should be in dublin by tomorrow evening. Time to start the seemingly endless waiting game