Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Applying for 2013

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Default Re: Applying for 2013

hexi, i am still working on your SoP.
    it's the toughest one i've gotten this year, sorry to say.
    it's not necessarily your writing, i think it's structure. doing my best!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

thanks for all the comforting words guys! ^_^ Right now i feel like no-one in the whole world wants this more than me. haha. I've been writing my SoP for months.

sorry wicket! i find it so hard to represent myself on paper and get whats in my head down fast enough before it flies away that i get muddled a lot! XD I've actually re-written it again since i emailed you hexi2. haha. i chopped up a lot of the long winded sentences, deleted a whole tonne of blah blah blah and re-written my intro. I've also tried to link all my experience back to what i can offer jet.
    sorry it's so much hassle for you! ^_^;

i don't mind, i just don't know why people don't plan it all out BEFORE they start writing. i did exactly ONE draft of my SoP and ONE "good copy" [fixing typos, mostly]. but i spent AGES brainstorming and planning. actual SoP took less than an hour to write.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

i planned it a bit. bullet pointed all i wanted to write. made sure i wrote down the experiance i wanted to include.
    i just then decided it was all wrong and horrible sounding after i wrote it. :/ like i said its hard to get what i want to say out of my head and onto the paper/keyboard before i forget it. i feel like i can improve it more if i have actual sentences and paragraphs to work on too. but yeah, then the structure suffers.
    you can always just not do it if you like. i don't mind. i feel bad taking up your time. ><;

I'm applying for my second time after not even getting an interview last year. I am in the same boat as others in that my "experience" is knowing things I messed up last year and have improved, like my absurd obsession with my references not being God-awful. And yes, we are technically not supposed to see it, but I am not changing my references anyhow and I hadn't asked for it to be sent, so oh well. I am glad I got to read it though because it was really nice to see.

On a similar note, I now have my references all in my hands and just need to get my Physician's Form done. I need to make copies of things and I need the main app, but I feel well put together at this point ^_^

I have a few questions regarding the health form. Is a Physician's Form necessary for an allergy? Last year, because I thought that an allergy did not count as a "physical condition," I did not fill out a Physician's Form. I worry that not having a Physician's Form might have disqualified me.

My allergy is a hazelnut allergy-- just in case it matters.

I also have a very minor bladder condition called "Interstitial Cystitis (IC)." I take an over-the-counter pain killer called "Azo" for it sometimes... I know that pain killers in Japan will probably work just fine if for some reason Azo is illegal. Do I need a Physicians form for this condition? As I said, it is minor and will just cause me to have to excuse myself to the bathroom when it acts up. Since it's minor, should I just not mention it at all?

Thank you to anyone who might have an answer!

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

The physician's form is for the IC. You will want to get that filled out and signed so you can be placed somewhere where you can get medication that will actually do something. Over the counter pain medication in Japan is spectacularly weak, and likely won't cover it for ya.

The allergy is a non-issue I think. I'm pretty sure I haven't eaten hazelnut since coming here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Is the hazelnut allergy severe? If you carry an epi-pen, you need to get the PF for that. I am supposed to carry two epi-pens, in case I accidentally eat the things I'm allergic to, but mine are more common than hazelnuts (peanuts, apples, cherries).

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    The physician's form is for the IC. You will want to get that filled out and signed so you can be placed somewhere where you can get medication that will actually do something. Over the counter pain medication in Japan is spectacularly weak, and likely won't cover it for ya.

The allergy is a non-issue I think. I'm pretty sure I haven't eaten hazelnut since coming here.
    Are common pain killers from the US allowed in Japan if I place a note from my doctor with the medication in my luggage?

I thought hazelnuts might not be an issue in Japan.

Is the hazelnut allergy severe? If you carry an epi-pen, you need to get the PF for that. I am supposed to carry two epi-pens, in case I accidentally eat the things I'm allergic to, but mine are more common than hazelnuts (peanuts, apples, cherries).
    It is severe and I do have an epi-pen, but I never carry the thing with me because hazelnuts aren't really common here and I can easily avoid them. Actually, I think my epi-pen's been expired for a few years now...

Thank you both for your help. What I've garnered from this is that I should fill out the Physician's Form just in case...
    Last edited by Paper Moon; October 16th, 2012 at 12:16.

Yeah couldn't hurt. And when it comes to bringing medicine over, for more than a month's supply you'd need a particular form that you fill out later (like when you've been accepted). Forget the name. Too lazy to look it up, haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

I think that someone on the official JET forums called it a "yakkan shomei," but it's possible that they were refering to something else.

I was going to ask my question on the official forum, but I think the answers on this forum are more candid, which I like.
    Last edited by Paper Moon; October 16th, 2012 at 23:18.

So... I think I'm actually going to apply this year. I've started my SOP, but have no idea who to ask for my second reference. I'm torn between asking a second professor or a previous boss. I have a feeling the second professor will be more articulate than the boss, so I'm leaning that way. No idea which would look better, though. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by peanut; October 17th, 2012 at 02:31.

probably better to go for a second professor who knows you better than an ex boss i'd imagine... but what do i know? if you're a recent graduate it's ok to do either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexi View Post
    probably better to go for a second professor who knows you better than an ex boss i'd imagine... but what do i know? if you're a recent graduate it's ok to do either.
    Well, I graduated in March '11, and the job in question was this time last year. Neither are exactly recent. My problem is that I'm self-employed. I'm a freelance photographer, so I have clients rather than a boss. I was really close with several of my professors, but was also close with my supervisors at my retouching job. Because I graduated a bit ago, didn't know if the boss or prof route would be better.

i think JET consider up to 2 years "recent"? but the supervisor sounds like a good one to go for. or if you know they'll both do good ones, ask both and then do eeny meeny miny mo. XD

Quote Originally Posted by abbajen View Post
    Is anyone here a re-applying JET? I was on JET before, and I am eligible to re-enter, so I am going for it this year. I just wondered if anyone had any insight: Are they more/less likely to give you an interview? Or, is it another one of JET's great mysteries? If you *do* get an interview, are the interviewers even more harsh than the first time around?
    not sure how i missed this, but i've done JET twice.

you are almost a shoe-in for an interview, unless you've done nothing with your first JET experience in terms of cultural exchange [I'd done a fair bit - teaching Japanese, contributing to JETAA, talking up the prefecture I'd been in etc.]

the interview is definitely harder second time around. i had had a ten year break and gotten married in the interim. they wanted to know how it would affect my career [teaching], how i would go amongst younger JETs, how my husband would cope as a non-JET in Japan, whether or not we were planning to have kids in Japan and on JET etc. etc. etc.

probably the question they most wanted answered was 'why do JET a second time when you have the qualifications, experience and references to get a job in japan independently?'

also, i would advise not asking to go back to the same or similar placement. or if you do, have a really good reason. my interviewers were impressed with the fact that i listed the prefecture i had my first placement in as my third choice - i.e. i'd be more than happy to go back there, but i'm also up for a new experience. they don't want people who think they can just do the same thing again. and they don't want people who can't prove they haven't used their first experience after leaving JET.

basically, think about what you wrote in your SoP the first time you did JET, with regard to how you would use the experience of being an ALT after you went home. have you done that? fantastic, they'll want you back. If you haven't, why would they trust your second SoP?

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    not sure how i missed this, but i've done JET twice.

you are almost a shoe-in for an interview, unless you've done nothing with your first JET experience in terms of cultural exchange [I'd done a fair bit - teaching Japanese, contributing to JETAA, talking up the prefecture I'd been in etc.]

the interview is definitely harder second time around. i had had a ten year break and gotten married in the interim. they wanted to know how it would affect my career [teaching], how i would go amongst younger JETs, how my husband would cope as a non-JET in Japan, whether or not we were planning to have kids in Japan and on JET etc. etc. etc.

probably the question they most wanted answered was 'why do JET a second time when you have the qualifications, experience and references to get a job in japan independently?'

also, i would advise not asking to go back to the same or similar placement. or if you do, have a really good reason. my interviewers were impressed with the fact that i listed the prefecture i had my first placement in as my third choice - i.e. i'd be more than happy to go back there, but i'm also up for a new experience. they don't want people who think they can just do the same thing again. and they don't want people who can't prove they haven't used their first experience after leaving JET.

basically, think about what you wrote in your SoP the first time you did JET, with regard to how you would use the experience of being an ALT after you went home. have you done that? fantastic, they'll want you back. If you haven't, why would they trust your second SoP?
    Well, I wrote how I wanted to become a Japanese teacher. I managed that through seriously ridiculous luck (I was not even certified to teach it, but marked that I could speak it when applying to a district, and they got me my emergency cert, which I have since upgraded to a real one). So, I'm in my 3rd year, and I've taught 3rd-12th grade. Actually, I taught 3rd-5th and 9th-12th every single day last year - I totally traveled between schools each day super-JET style. I'm also the co-chair of Pittsburgh JETAA, so I think I might be golden there.

The first time I went, I was married (we got married at 23), and my husband's job was house-husband - so if we went back, he would be used to that Japan experience of being jobless. We do not want kids - if they asked me having kids, would it be bad to tell the truth? I feel like people think you hate kids if you don't want your own - obviously, I like kids since I spend my whole day with them willingly. We have been home for 5 years, so I'll be 29 at the leave date.

When we were placed before, we could get food we could eat easily (we're vegetarians) and now, I have a thyroid condition, and while I obviously speak Japanese fairly well, I don't know medical Japanese. I had English doctors where I was placed before, and I don't know if it's common in other areas. (We were in Northern Kyoto City) Are those "good" reasons for wanting to be placed around the same area? Or do I need to come up with something better?

abbajen, does your thyroid condition require regular access to a doctor? I ask because I'm hypothyroid and so this is relevant to my interests. =) Maybe your case is similar to mine and it'll be ok?
    I just see my doc once a year for blood work and I'm hoping to have my pharmacy ship my meds to me in Japan. If that is ok by the Japanese government, then I'm golden, but if I need to see a Japanese doctor, that's a different story. xD

My concern is that I was told to keep my soy intake very regular or I'd have to be adjusted (get a higher dose since soy blocks the absorption). In my experience, I eat tofu and miso, etc a lot in Japan, therefore, I feel like I'd have to be on the "beginner's" schedule of every three months for a little bit to see how my body reacted. I did fine for 1 summer in Japan after starting meds, but really, that was only 2 months, so I think it hardly counts. It was SUPER expensive when I yakkan shomei'ed a whole year of BC pills (cause I had to pay out of pocket- insurance will only cover 3 months and I needed 1 year). So, I don't really want to pay that much out of pocket for levothyroxine. I'm thinking of bringing 3 months, getting the yakkan shomei for it, and then finding a doctor in those months to check my levels and get me going. I'm also thinking an IUD for BC purposes, so I don't have to play around with that craziness.

I didn't even think about soy; I was just worried the near-daily alcohol consumption will mess with my levels. =o
    Something to keep in mind, for sure.