Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UK JETs 2013

Default UK JETs 2013

Hello guys.
    Just wondering, does the UK JET application open on the 1st Oct usually, or some random date in Oct?
    How long do you get to fill out the application and send everything off?

Who else is applying from UK this year??

I'm applying from the UK too. Last year applications opened on October 28th and the deadline was November 25th (the deadline's always the last Friday in November), so we had about a month. Year before last the application opened on the 26th or so, so I assume it's gonna be the end of October this year too.

Default Re: UK JETs 2013

Aaaww ok, thats great, thanks! Now is a very busy time of year with me, what with placements and crap, so I was worrying!
    Did you apply last year?

Yup, it's my second go this year!

How far did you get last yr? Any advice for me, its my first time this year!

I was rejected before interview, so while I'm not really in a position to give advice, I'd suggest being as prepared as possible by the time applications open. Last year I was hanging around waiting for a reference until about two days before the deadline, which wasn't ideal. GPs can take a while with the Statement of Physician form too, so I wouldn't leave arranging that too late either.
    Last edited by flamingpriest; October 3rd, 2012 at 04:15.

Ah ok, thats really good info actually. Didn't know Drs take so long! I just moved to a new city and don't even have a Dr yet! Had better get on that!
    Where in the UK are you from?

The doc you get could be quite prompt though, it's just that some aren't.

I'm from the London area, you?

Come from Bedford originally, now live in Bradford :/
    I love London!

OMG is anyone else freaking out about the fact that Ireland had their applications opened today?? does that mean the UK is soon?

It probably doesn't mean much since they're not related, but last year the Irish applications opened a week before the UK ones did.

I kind of bloody hope not though, I haven't started my personal statement or asked my referees yet, despite what I said before about being prepared

Yeah I noticed that thread about the Irish applications! Looks like they have until December to get their applications in, so hopefully we have until at least then too!

Lol I havent got my refs or written my personal statement either! I've made notes tho! My personal tutor at uni said she would write me a reference, she said just tell her what she needs to say and she will write it! So thats pretty sweet And the other reference I have is a teacher at uni, but he sorted me and my 2 mates out with our placement in Japan this year! So we get on well with him, and his son who is a uni lecturer in Japan lol!

We'll have to set each other a challenge Complete personal statement by this time next week or else.... eemm.... something!

I found my personal statement came out sounding alot better and far clearer once i wrote it out on paper, first in bullet points and then as a draft, before setting foot(finger) near a keyboard.

I dont seem to be able to get an over all grasp if its on a computer screen while drafting.

I know its sounds blooming obvious but its effective. Used to work for me in college too,

Just a small tip that might help.

Good luck lads. im sure the apps will be open in the up next week and youll almost certainly have a similar time frame as us in ireland
    Last edited by Shodanicron; October 6th, 2012 at 18:56.

Great advice! Somehow its always easier when it's on paper in front of you!

How far have you got with your app, Shodanicron?
    What is the actual application form like?

Quote Originally Posted by Shodanicron View Post
    Good luck lads.
    Thanks! But I'm a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by MJjunkie86 View Post
    Great advice! Somehow its always easier when it's on paper in front of you!

How far have you got with your app, Shodanicron?
    What is the actual application form like?

Thanks! But I'm a girl!
    Lads is a catch all phrase!(at least in cork) So you it applies to you skirt wearing handbag toting people too

Ive got it all done now, bar the doctors signature form which i have an appointment for on monday.
    I also must get the references physically in the post.

The application form itself is lengthy like other years.
    I must note that the essay question is different to last year

The 4 different headings have slightly different questions. but the same over all theme. Worded a bit different. Scroll down past the timetables etc and there is a section on the essay SOP thingy

Embassy of Japan in Ireland

If you have time check out this link to all the documents and take a gander for yourself.

NB!!! Just be very careful that you dont use them by accident on your own application as they contain different codes and number specific to Ireland. Delete them from your download folder to be safe
    Last edited by Shodanicron; October 6th, 2012 at 19:26.

I'll let you off "Skirt wearing, handbag toting"....err, sure.

I was just looking at the Irish forms as it happens! Looks pretty straight forward. I'd already seen (somewhere!) the SOP question prompts so that didn't come as much of a shock.

How long did it take you to do everything?

I'll let you off "Skirt wearing, handbag toting"....err, sure.

I was just looking at the Irish forms as it happens! Looks pretty straight forward. I'd already seen (somewhere!) the SOP question prompts so that didn't come as much of a shock.

How long did it take you to do everything?
    No worries

The forms have taken the last 2 days looking at them after my japanese study in the evenings.
    My police certificate took 2 weeks to get off them.
    My College transcripts stamped and signed took 2 to 3 months.
    References.......pending delivery
    Essay isn't finalised but i had pretty much had it written since mid summer on paper but i havent typed it up and cemented it yet.

I started getting what i could ready back as far as last march once i had made up my mind that i would need to live and work in japan to get my japanese ablity to where i want it.

My friend was in JET for nearly 4 years so he told me straight away to start getting shit together.

Some institutions just take forever to get stuff off.

How have you been doing with your stuff so far?
    Last edited by Shodanicron; October 6th, 2012 at 19:43.

Wow, now I'm panicking. Seriously.
    It took 2-3 months for some of that stuff?!!! Fuuuuck.

I have made notes for my personal statement thingy, and that's about it! I just moved to this city and don't even have a Dr yet -_-

It's good you know someone in JET already so they can help you out! Good job they did after some of that stuff took so long to get! I just can't believe it!!

Have you ever applied before?

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

MJjunkie, don't panic. The second time I did JET I only found out they had changed the rules and that you could apply again about 18 days before the application deadline and I still managed to get everything done in time [some documents just cost me more to fast-track them].
    Am also really hoping that your moniker is ironic.
    And that you weren't really born in 1986 [when I graduated high school]
    Fark.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Wow, now I'm panicking. Seriously.
    It took 2-3 months for some of that stuff?!!! Fuuuuck.

I have made notes for my personal statement thingy, and that's about it! I just moved to this city and don't even have a Dr yet -_-

It's good you know someone in JET already so they can help you out! Good job they did after some of that stuff took so long to get! I just can't believe it!!

Have you ever applied before?
    No but i have been looking at it for a long time.

No need to panic. First thing monday start getting stuff ready. Its an irish college so they are majorly slow..... like beyond slow. and the one i went to slower then most!

I might be best to go to your college in person. I did it over the phone like. You can also pay more possibly. I paid 30 euros for mine. Stress to them the deadline maybe...

Shur the police certificate shouldnt take you long if you arent a closet serial killer!.

Dont panic anyway! youve 2 months or more like! and remember Ireland is notoriously slow

Everything else on the list is gettable in like a week. So defo dont panic
    Last edited by Shodanicron; October 6th, 2012 at 20:06.