Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: UK JETs 2013

Default Re: UK JETs 2013

can't help but feel bitter about that and feel a bit "why are they letting more people apply and letting them get longer? don't they know its tough enough for those of us who actually met the deadline? if they weren't organised enough to get it done in time then tough!"

but thats just me being super competative..... heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexi View Post
    can't help but feel bitter about that and feel a bit "why are they letting more people apply and letting them get longer? don't they know its tough enough for those of us who actually met the deadline? if they weren't organised enough to get it done in time then tough!"

but thats just me being super competative..... heh.
    Nooo! I get it completely, I was a little confused, too.

I came to the process kinda late, but still had planned (and still do) to march up to the JET Desk on Friday and hand in my package.

The extension is only a relief for the fact my doctor may mess me around with this letter. (Already charging £25...)

They had this extension last year too. I think it's more to allow reasonable postage time for people who submit their online applications close to the deadline.

Ugh am so annoyed, sent application yesterday, they received it today. However one of the transcripts wasn't signed, so gotta resend that, but most annoyingly my old uni certificate got sent to me as a transcript and a covering letter. That's it, so I sent it to them as I got it and they emailed saying it needs to be stamped and signed! FFS!
    Problem is, I now live at the other end of the country, my old uni admin office will be closed at the weekend and I'm on placement mon-fri!! Can't even get them to post to me coz time will be too late.
    Am bloody fuming! My old uni letter is good enough to count for any one who is interested, but not for jet! Uuggghhhh :-/

Sorry for bad layout, on iPod

Quote Originally Posted by MJjunkie86 View Post
    Ugh am so annoyed, sent application yesterday, they received it today. However one of the transcripts wasn't signed, so gotta resend that, but most annoyingly my old uni certificate got sent to me as a transcript and a covering letter. That's it, so I sent it to them as I got it and they emailed saying it needs to be stamped and signed! FFS!
    Problem is, I now live at the other end of the country, my old uni admin office will be closed at the weekend and I'm on placement mon-fri!! Can't even get them to post to me coz time will be too late.
    Am bloody fuming! My old uni letter is good enough to count for any one who is interested, but not for jet! Uuggghhhh :-/

Ugh that's crazy. The only thing I can suggest is to telephone the JET Desk and explain the situation, and ask if they'll give you an extension in order to get the documents from the university.

Maybe you could ask if the JET Desk'll accept an email (or phone call) from your uni confirming that the letter is genuine and that you have graduated? Or if they'd allow it to be scanned/faxed over from your uni?

That sucks. I had the same email last week saying I hadn't given the proper proof of degree thingy. I quickly got the correct one and sent it separately but I'm currently thinking what if they don't pass it along into my application pack and it gets lost among the piles... I did put a covering letter in... but... what if...

Do you get a notification soonish if your application does not meet the requirements? I.e something is missing?

Really hope we both get our applications fully completed and sent in, considering the effort we've done already.

I've put all my chips into the JET basket. All my classmates are applying to do pgce's for next year and the application closes soon, so chose JET. If I don't get in it'll be minimum wage drudgery for me

ARG

Good thing I didn't see the update about an extension, otherwise I'd still be procrastinating over my personal statement right now. I've just returned from the post office where I sent my application by special delivery, so it should be with the JET desk by 1pm tomorrow. I have to say, I feel tremendously better and less stressed now that it's been sent.

I'm going through the motions of common concerns i.e. shit, I bet I missed something out! But I'm pretty sure I've included everything. My personal statement was pretty strong and was reviewed by a law graduate and a journalism graduate with a 1st class degree, so I'm quite confident about it. Hopefully my references are good! Now, let the waiting commence...

oh no! i hope you can work it out!!! how did they contact you that something was missing? email or snail mail?

Handing mine in at the embassy tomorrow. No room for mistakes, better make sure all my stuff is in perfect order!
    Saying that, I think my degree certificate is signed but not stamped. But that's just how it is, there's no more I can do about it.

Handing mine in tomorrow, too.

Need to go through with a fine tooth comb. 'Perfected' my SoP to the point where I'm TIRED of reading it and want it to go away

Ok folks, well after a 3 hour trip from Bradford to Bedford (when ended up being 5 and half hours due to M1 being closed!) I finally got my transcripts signed and stamped and sent off.
    All that way, all that cost, all that effort plus a missed day of placement, for a signature and stamp. Exactly the same info, just a sig of some random guy and a stamp. Fucked off is not even the word!
    All posted off now though. If it's rejected now, I'll be royally pissed!

You guys all happy and good now?

Hexi, they emailed me the day they received it. My bf also got an email the day they received his because he had something missing too (a sig and stamp too!)

ok good so i don't have to worry a letter and Ive done something wrong.

EEEP! DEADLINE IS PAST! (like 5 hours ago, stoopid hexi) GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

*very late bump*

It seems like there isn't much traffic to this site any more...but I thought I should post some UK-JET info, just in case it helps some of you. i just posed the same thing on the official forum, so sorry for any of you that might see the same thing twice!!

I wanted to let you know about two events for new JETs in London.

1. Q&A Day for JETs and their parents
    This is run by the JET Alumni Association for the UK. We have already signed up quite a few ex-JETs who are keen to help you. This will be an honest, informal, personal and practical orientation about JET life. We’ve lived it and now we want to pass on our valuable experience to both you and your family! You can find more details, and sign up here: http://www.jetaa.org.uk/events/qa-day-f ... parents-2/

(As lots of you have been reading this forum, you might not feel like you'll need any extra information or advice...but you never know, your parents might really appreciate a chance to ask their own questions!!)

** I am pretty sure there are other events from JETAA in Wales, Edinburgh and the Midlands, so if London is a bit far for you to travel, please contact your local JETAA to see if they are hosting an event for you.

2. Japanese for ALTs - Exclusive beginner's Japanese class for 2013 JET participants
    This one is organised by the Japan Foundation, London: http://www.jpf.org.uk/news.view.php?id=266
    You will have some Japanese classes during your JET Pre-departure orientation on the 11th-12 of June...and this weekend course will build on those skills to give you a solid base of Japanese before you head out to Japan. It is going to be taught by Dr Seiji Fukushima, Chief Japanese Language Advisor at the Japan Foundation London, who is a truly brilliant teacher.

This is the first year we have been able to offer this course, so I hope some of you will be able to take advantage of it!!
    Oh! and although this course is not free, it is amazing value (£30 for both days, including a text book and CD.)

Feel free to send me a PM if you have questions about either of those events!!