Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese for busy people...

Default Japanese for busy people...

Hey folks. Are there any newbies to Japanese that are using the Japanese For Busy People book?

Default Re: Japanese for busy people...

I used it when I was starting out. It's ok, better than nothing. I'd recommend something like Genki or Minna no Nihongo over it though.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Genki is much better.
    Or get the books and CDs for level 5 or 4 of the JLPT and use them. That way you're learning the language and studying for a goal at the same time.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

I know they say ALTs don't need to know Japanese, but I think it's a bit rude to come in knowing none at all. I know a bit from manga/anime but what would be the best book to pick up some functional Japanese? Such as being able to ask for directions, order a beer, find the bathroom, etc? Not looking to master the language, that's beyond my ability in a short window, just wanna be able to know enough to to survive if/when I get lost somewhere

I went to Japan and taught in a school for 2 months this summer, so from that I can kinda see what I need to learn. Directions, ordering things etc etc.
    Only asked about JFBP coz it's the book I have and my bf said its the book he used when he took the learn Japanese course I'll be starting on in Jan. So thought I'd get a bit of a head start.
    Just looking for someone to work through it with me, I guess.

Also have the pimsleur audio course and the "Let's learn Japanese" video thingy from apparently the 80s with Yann in the video :')
    Just need to actually find the time to learn vocab now, after learning the hiragana!

Oh, and BWhat, I totally agree! It's so rude going to another country to live and not even trying to learn even the basics!
    Last edited by MJjunkie86; October 12th, 2012 at 01:17.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bwhat87 View Post
    I know they say ALTs don't need to know Japanese, but I think it's a bit rude to come in knowing none at all. I know a bit from manga/anime but what would be the best book to pick up some functional Japanese? Such as being able to ask for directions, order a beer, find the bathroom, etc? Not looking to master the language, that's beyond my ability in a short window, just wanna be able to know enough to to survive if/when I get lost somewhere
    uhh, I studied for four years back in uni before coming over and I didn't know how to order a beer.

I knew how to order something that might taste sorta like badbeer, but I didn't know how to order real beer. Books just don't teach you these things, might as well come over and bumble through it

That being said, I know a few people who came over with next to no (or none at all) Japanese and the ones that have put some effort into learn while they're here are greatly appreciated. The ones who come over here, learn nothing, and never plan to are the ones that are quite rude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Even if you come knowing absolutely nothing, you'll probably pick up the essential skills pretty quickly. I honestly don't see how some people who live here for years and years never pick up any Japanese.

Get some graded readers and read as early as possible. They really should be essential for any language study. They will boost every part of your language and help with retention insanely.

Yea, but it's always a good thing to be able to ask where the bathroom is beforehand, if only just to avoid some...awkward situations XD

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

HAHA. Wait till you get here and see the drunk Japanese person flailing their arms around like a gaijin yelling TOIRE! (toilet) and staff just pointing to the corner.

In fact, I tend to get weirder looks when I ask in proper japanese than when I just say toilet and look confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    In fact, I tend to get weirder looks when I ask in proper japanese than when I just say toilet and look confused.
    This. It's almost like they can't comprehend the idea of a foreigner speaking their language.

I knew how to order something that might taste sorta like badbeer, but I didn't know how to order real beer. Books just don't teach you these things.
    books don't, but people do.

i didn't study japanese at university. i studied it at high school for 5 years; and i knew how to order beer - different brands, and using the hon/pon/bon suffix. university lecturers should know that's IMPORTANT INFORMATION they are neglecting to teach you there!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

How about we go on a limb and not blame all university lecturers because their students aren't learning stuff?

Also: you were in high school for five years? Did you fail or something? Aussieland keeps their kids in HS that long?
    いいみで

HAHA. Wait till you get here and see the drunk Japanese person flailing their arms around like a gaijin yelling TOIRE! (toilet) and staff just pointing to the corner.

Sounds like my kinda party

Worse comes to worse, I'll just walk up to the bartender and point at a bottle of rum then a bottle of coke and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Teishou View Post
    How about we go on a limb and not blame all university lecturers because their students aren't learning stuff?

Also: you were in high school for five years? Did you fail or something? Aussieland keeps their kids in HS that long?
    um, the bit where i had a go at the university lecturers was tongue-in-cheek - a joke. since when is being able to order a beer "important information"?

in australia "high school" is actually 6 years - years 7 to 12. we don't separate into junior high and senior high. i studied japanese from year 8-year 12.

Quote Originally Posted by jwkelley View Post
    Get some graded readers and read as early as possible. They really should be essential for any language study. They will boost every part of your language and help with retention insanely.
    Could someone elaborate a little on what graded readers are and/or recommend a series? I just finished genki 2 and am currently discovering the joys of anki, but very soon ill be looking for some new original reading material. I was going to go for the intermediate japan times book, but maybe graded readers are a better alternative? Or maybe its the same thing for all I know.

My bad, trusty old google clarified things quite a bit. Let me reformulate my silly question from earlier. What level of graded reader would you recommend for someone who has gone through (and presumably retained most) of Genki I and II? I saw the vocab counts for each level, but what about grammar points? They look kinda pricy, so skipping 0 and (maybe) 1 would be nice if they'd be boring anyway.

They might be below your level. This website seems to have the most info on each level.

Japanese Graded Readers : Readers and More : Japanese Bookstore : The Japan Shop
    Last edited by jwkelley; November 17th, 2012 at 01:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Maninguenice View Post
    My bad, trusty old google clarified things quite a bit. Let me reformulate my silly question from earlier. What level of graded reader would you recommend for someone who has gone through (and presumably retained most) of Genki I and II? I saw the vocab counts for each level, but what about grammar points? They look kinda pricy, so skipping 0 and (maybe) 1 would be nice if they'd be boring anyway.
    Have you looked into any other books? My college uses "Situational Functional Japanese (SFJ)" which from what I've seen is similar to "Japanese for busy people". If you want to know what is in vol.3 of SFJ please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by CherryBerry View Post
    If you want to know what is in vol.3 of SFJ please let me know.
    Thanks, that'd be great CherryBerry! Is it a reader or a full on textbook?