Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 3 Things You Want to Do

Default Top 3 Things You Want to Do

This part of the forum seems kind of dead right now, probably because we're all working on our applications. However, I thought I'd start a discussion filled with optimism!

If/When you are accepted to JET, what are the top three new things you want to try when in Japan, that aren't directly related to being an awesome teacher?

Mine:
    1. Learn how to snowboard (If I'm in a part of the country where that's plentiful).
    2. Visit an izakaya
    3. Learn more about kyudo

i love these! XD

1: Eat Takyoyaki and kakigori at a Natsu Matsuri
    2: Visit the Kyoto Costume Museum
    3: Go to a nomihodai

Bonus: Buy a "weird" thing from a vending machine (by weird i mean something you can't find in a vending machine here)

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingTheSun View Post
    2. Visit an izakaya
    You will have many, many opportunities to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexi View Post
    3: Go to a nomihodai
    See above!

Quote Originally Posted by Hexi View Post
    Bonus: Buy a "weird" thing from a vending machine (by weird i mean something you can't find in a vending machine here)
    A lot of the truly weird vending machines are gone; I think Japan realised it was getting a reputation. There's still beer and cigarette machines, and those that sell (bad) hot food, though.
    ...because Japan.

Default Re: Top 3 Things You Want to Do

You'll have plenty of chances to eat and drink whatever, so don't fret! Here's a couple of things I recommend doing while you're here:

-Visit Okinawa. The beaches are really nice compared to the mainland, and the whole area has a nice, chill vibe.
    -Try snowboarding/skiing. It gives you something to do in the winter besides sit at home. While I personally didn't care for it, I know several people that can only keep sane in the winter by going snowboarding every weekend.
    -Visit Kyoto/Nara at least once. You can hit up all the major historical sites in a weekend. Do the maiko dress-up thing if you want, but be prepared to look kind of stupid doing it. It's fun, but the white face paint pretty much only looks good on Japanese people.

My list for the coming months...

1. Moar snowboarding.
    2. Moar Japanese study.
    3. Bang a schoolgirl (MG in a HS uniform + pigtails would work, I suppose).
    Last edited by word; October 12th, 2012 at 13:23. Reason: + pigtails
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

1) Wank
    2) Wank more
    3) Cry into pillow

Real list:
    Travel the northern coast on local train. (Sooo much more enjoyable than bullet in the south)
    Stay in Japan for Christmas and New Years. (It really is a different experience)
    Find the smallest most out of the way matsuri in a near by town and just show up and talk to people.... you might end up drinking the night away for free (ahh, taiko drumming post performance party)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

i do plan to spend christmas and new years there. just beause it'll be so different. they all work on christmas day huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    A lot of the truly weird vending machines are gone; I think Japan realised it was getting a reputation. There's still beer and cigarette machines, and those that sell (bad) hot food, though.
    Damn...... it would probably have been expensive anyways.....

If it's not on a weekend they work it. The 24th is a holiday so if you're lucky and that falls on a Sunday you'd get Christmas day off as well.

I will never work a Christmas day in my entire life...apart from this year where I'm volunteering at an Elephant rehabilitation Center
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

Weird; I always used to love working on holidays back in the 'States. The pay was always good (yanno, in the sh*tty hourly-wage jobs I was working back in HS and uni) and most folks are really nice to you. Also, it kept me from having to spend time with my family. ("Sorry dad; I hafta work that day. Yeah, they're being real a**holes about it; I can't get out of it. Guess I'll have to pass on that awkward dinner with your lunatic sister and her 'Happy Birthday, Jesus' malarkey.")
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

It depends on the holiday; I hated working Thanksgiving at the supermarket because the only customers were stressed out people trying to get their last minute things. Worst was the people who came in during the afternoon looking for a turkey. Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve were almost as bad.

Yeah I will never work on Christmas, just too depressing.

I highly recommend taking this chance to do awesome things for yourself that you've always wanted to, not just Japan related stuff. Being in Jerpan is a good chance to work on you and towards your YUME. I started running, got my motorcycle license, and found loads of awesome new hobbies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

^This. I've learned to be a much better cook since I got here.

I want to try and make connections in the costume industry over there.
    I know they dont exactly have a bustling costume industry but still.

I could do with some new hobbies though definitely. ...... hmm.... i'm sure i'll discover something.... wish i could take my sewing machine with me.... ;__;

EDIT: The problem with me aswell is that Japan is kinda all there is to me.... (i mean apart from the costume stuff) it's been my goal and my passion for so long.... i'm going to need to re-find myself when i get there... and get back too i guess....
    Last edited by Hexi; October 12th, 2012 at 17:42.

Your school will almost certainly have sewing machines (and other sewing/clothing construction materials, as well as a great deal of workspace) and if they're cool like my school, they'll be happy to let you use 'em.

ooh yay! thanks! ^_^

Also, super stereotypical, but I really would like to study a martial art while in Japan. I've been doing a variety of martial arts my whole life and I really want to continue in Japan.

And learn how to play a new instrument. I make that a plan whenever I'm abroad, but it never works out completely.

Did you play something when you were in HS? If you can already play something/read music, it's easy to pick up/resume/improve on a musical ability here.

Some folks near me do karate pretty regularly; I'm increasingly these days when it comes to martial arts, though.

I played violin and viola in middle school. My dad's a drummer so he taught me the basics of that and I've tried guitar but didn't dedicate enough time to it.

Why are you increasingly when it comes to martial arts?

Also, if there is any opportunity to play lacrosse while in Japan, I'm all over that. I know some university's have lacrosse teams/ clubs, but is it at all popular in k-12?

I want to see a mukade and ride a superfast train