Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Top 3 Things You Want to Do

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Top 3 Things You Want to Do

Cat Island is not as impressive as it once was. My friend went there last year, still more cats than people, but nowhere near as many as there used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Yeah and it's dirty. Though I have to say that suddenly being bombarded by 15 cats was an experience.

I appreciate kotatsu and Japanese baths as much as the next person but I hope you enjoy your insulation and central heating while you can, person. It takes me 30 minutes to get up now that it's cold. dum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Also, visiting Kishi Station in Wakayama to see Tama the Cat. I wonder if they make a cat lover's guide to Japan?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, both Sanrio/Hello Kitty theme parks. Also, Shinjuku. My boyfriend wants to see the 1:1 scale Gundam. Urgh... I think I want to see it all. Except for the monkeys in the hot springs - they creep me out.
    Last edited by Wasabi; November 19th, 2012 at 10:55.

Isn't there some sort of bunny island too?

Yep. It was once some sort of weapons facility, and the test bunnies escaped and became fruitful and multiplied.

yep. i want to go there. although i'll regret it with hives and an almighty asthma attack. but i don't care. XD

OK, besides the standard frolicking through Tokyo and learning Japanese

1. Become a Kit Kat connoisseur...I have a somewhat out-of-control sweet tooth and would be pathetically excited to try all the flavors.

2. Learn to surf

3. Climb Mt. Fuji. And the Japanese Alps.

1. Visit the Kayabukiya Tavern in Utsonomiya where Monkeys are waiters.
    (I love Macaque Monkeys!)

2. Fushimi Inari Temple.

3. Hike up Yakushima.

Quote Originally Posted by MJjunkie86 View Post
    I hope you intend to descend too...?
    Don't be silly! I plan to stay atop and become frozen so I can enter a century-long cryogenic sleep. You'll then read about my experience in a book called 'Alternatives to Acquiring Japanese Citizenship' in 102 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shisa View Post
    Don't be silly! I plan to stay atop and become frozen so I can enter a century-long cryogenic sleep. You'll then read about my experience in a book called 'Alternatives to Acquiring Japanese Citizenship' in 102 years time.

That is a great idea, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Melody View Post
    That is a great idea, haha.
    We'll soon find out.

Btw, I think hiking up Yakushima sounds like a lot of fun. From what I've seen, in pictures, and read about it it's definitely something I'd do. Looks beautiful.

1. Mountain hiking in search of old shrines and whatever else is out there. Japan has some beautiful wilderness. This includes climbing Mt. Fuji as well.

2. Visit the Fushimi-Inari Taisha shrine and explore Kyoto.

3. Experience an authentic Japanese festival (and the foods that go with them). The Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens down here in Delray Beach has three Japanese festivals every year (Oshogatsu, Hatsume, and Obon) which are all pretty fun, so I expect a good time.
    2013 JET Program Applicant

According to this (which referenced the Daily Yomiuri), you only need to live in Japan consecutively at one address for 5 years. Not sure if Mt. Fuji would count as an actual address though. Maybe your idea is worth a shot. But, it sounds like you would have to renounce citizenship of your homeland.

Btw, I think hiking up Yakushima sounds like a lot of fun. From what I've seen, in pictures, and read about it it's definitely something I'd do. Looks beautiful.
    To be surrounded by something that is up to 3,000 years old is mind boggling.

1) Exploring wherever I get placed, as well as everywhere else I can manage to get to. Of particular interest to visit: Okinawa, Osaka and Hokkaido (in winter!).

2) Trying all of the new foods I can lay my hands on.

3) Japanese baths.

Ah see! Good job I asked, can you put me down for a preorder of your book, please. Make it out to my Great Grandchildren, if you don't mind!

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingTheSun View Post
    This part of the forum seems kind of dead right now, probably because we're all working on our applications. However, I thought I'd start a discussion filled with optimism!

If/When you are accepted to JET, what are the top three new things you want to try when in Japan, that aren't directly related to being an awesome teacher?
    My main list isn't really specific to Japan, but I'm using the time there as a catalyst to achieve these goals:

1. Finally be able to put away some real money in savings. This recession has made it very hard to do that so far...
    2. Get in good shape, via tons of exercise and a healthier Japanese diet.
    3. Really get my Japanese ability back to its old college-era semi-fluent state, and get a lot better than that! Also, going to try to not be functionally-illiterate in kanji.

More specific things:
    1. Sing tons of karaoke
    2. Get a sweet bike and circumnavigate Nagasaki
    3. Try not to die from the humid summer heat.

Quote Originally Posted by electrofreeze View Post
    My main list isn't really specific to Japan, but I'm using the time there as a catalyst to achieve these goals:

2. Get in good shape, via tons of exercise and a healthier Japanese diet.
    You should be able to achieve that no problem with all the walking up and down through the train stations.

the key to a good japan experience is

1. do a little dance

2. make a little love

3. get down tonight
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Melody View Post
    You should be able to achieve that no problem with all the walking up and down through the train stations.
    Yup! From my experience in Japan previously, I end up walking about 3-4 times as much as in the states. It'll be nice to turn over a new leaf, and to stay there long enough that this "new leaf" becomes normal / not a phase.