Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interac Alternates 2013

Default Interac Alternates 2013

Hey all. I've been using this forum for research for many long months so thanks for all the info. It's beyond helpful!

I've been wondering if anyone will be heading to Japan as an Alternate in Jan/Feb in 2013? (as this is what I'm doing lol) Or does anyone have any first-hand experience to offer? Seems to be few and far between.

Thanks in advance!

I was an Interac alternate back in the day when I first came here. I took over for someone who unexpectedly quit just before renewal, so I started at the 2nd term start date in September. However, because it was a quick fill of a position, I received no training or guidance of any kind after my apartment was (semi) set-up.

It was a bit of a lonely time, but I was teaching in high schools and got a lot of JTE support, which I desperately needed. It took me quite a while to find the local ALT networks.

Of course... I did just kind of show up out of the blue with no Japanese or teaching experience.

Quote Originally Posted by notjim View Post
    I was an Interac alternate back in the day when I first came here. I took over for someone who unexpectedly quit just before renewal, so I started at the 2nd term start date in September. However, because it was a quick fill of a position, I received no training or guidance of any kind after my apartment was (semi) set-up.

It was a bit of a lonely time, but I was teaching in high schools and got a lot of JTE support, which I desperately needed. It took me quite a while to find the local ALT networks.

Of course... I did just kind of show up out of the blue with no Japanese or teaching experience.
    Wow. Thanks for the reply. I was just super concerned in terms of coming over and not being contracted at all lol especially in Jan, it might be possible to just not have a job by March/April. How are you enjoying it now though?

Default Re: Interac Alternates 2013

I'm going as an alternate this month. This Saturday, actually!

Wowww awesome all the best! Keep in touch if possible

Quote Originally Posted by stephiiStephii View Post
    Wow. Thanks for the reply. I was just super concerned in terms of coming over and not being contracted at all lol especially in Jan, it might be possible to just not have a job by March/April. How are you enjoying it now though?
    It is possible to not get contracted, but I'm sure the forums have a wealth of info on the chances of that happening. As far as re-contracting in March/April, I switched locations repeatedly due to the BoE not recontacting with Interac, and I finally got fed up with it.

I do enjoy it now, I left Interac after 2 years of employment with them for a different company. I find that mostly my work depended on my schools rather than the contracting company.

Quote Originally Posted by adubose View Post
    I'm going as an alternate this month. This Saturday, actually!
    So what does that actually mean then? What will happen when you get to Japan? In my Interac interview, nothing was mentioned about a possible alternate status. Given that you're still going to Japan, I'm assuming an Interac alternate is not the same meaning as an alternate with JET? I was selected as a JET alternate but never upgraded. I've been offered a position with Interac to start in March. I hope that's definite and it doesn't get screwed up
    Last edited by Sakurahoshi; October 12th, 2012 at 18:18.

Quote Originally Posted by notjim View Post
    It is possible to not get contracted, but I'm sure the forums have a wealth of info on the chances of that happening. As far as re-contracting in March/April, I switched locations repeatedly due to the BoE not recontacting with Interac, and I finally got fed up with it.

I do enjoy it now, I left Interac after 2 years of employment with them for a different company. I find that mostly my work depended on my schools rather than the contracting company.
    Eek.. that's a rough transition. Yeah I've been searching the forums mainly for "Interac alternates" but it's been difficult to find many responses. Thanks for contributing I'm keeping an open mind.. It's hard to find ESL jobs (been applying for almost a year, maybe it's because I'm coming straight out of Jam) so hoping being in Japan will help if Interac doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakurahoshi View Post
    So what does that actually mean then? What will happen when you get to Japan? In my Interac interview, nothing was mentioned about a possible alternate status. Given that you're still going to Japan, I'm assuming an Interac alternate is not the same meaning as an alternate with JET? I was selected as a JET alternate but never upgraded. I've been offered a position with Interac to start in March. I hope that's definite and it doesn't get screwed up
    Hey, my JET app wasn't even shortlisted -__- so idk much about the process. But from what I have gathered, JET and Interac are def diff things. As an Interac alternate we go to Japan, are trained and then wait for placement to arise. Interac sets us up in an apartment that we don't pay key money for, just rent (as we would have signed an ALT contract and would be getting paid). I'm sure it won't be as easy as it sounds lol but still looking forward to it!

I was wondering, is this also where you will work in the tokyo office?
    I wonder if the people that have done that before have liked it?

Quote Originally Posted by TAmember2003 View Post
    I was wondering, is this also where you will work in the tokyo office?
    I wonder if the people that have done that before have liked it?
    haha that's one of the things I'm trying to find out.. but from what I gather by reaching out to a few other Interac alternates I've found, it has worked out fine for them.

^ It should be cool.. you would be living in tokyo at least...

which where is the main office in tokyo??

That's what I've been told so far yeah

Hi! I'm also an alternative. My first day of training will be January 7th. Maybe we'll be in Tokyo around the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Cynistar View Post
    Hi! I'm also an alternative. My first day of training will be January 7th. Maybe we'll be in Tokyo around the same time!
    Cool! I got a tentative arrival date of Jan 27th. How long ago did you receive confirmation of your arrival date?? I wish they would confirm mine and get my visa stuff underway... so anxious.

I was notified of my arrival date back on Sept. 30th. Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you concerning the CoE paperwork. They are applying for it at the end of October. I also don't have any clue where I'll be placed after the orientation/training.
    Have you read of a experiences or statistics on alternates being re-contracted for another school year? I'm slightly worried that since I'll only be an ALT for 2-3 months that I may not be able to impress them enough to get re-contracted.

Same with me.. One of the reasons I started this thread was to see if I could get an idea of re-contracting because I haven't seen much otherwise. There are so many negative reviews of Interac out there so I guess anything is possible... So just hoping for the best right now

So in an ironic twist I'll be going in March.. Got a call from Interac this evening asking me to consider. It works out I guess..so I'm no longer an alternate. Still interested in hearing from anybody going early next year tho
    The mouth speaks what the heart is full of

Congrats! It means waiting longer to come to Japan, but at least this way you'll get contracted for a whole year and you'll be able to go to a formal orientation where you get to meet other ALTs, which is a good opportunity to make friends.

I guess Interac figured that 2-3 months wasn't really enough time to get to know you and your teaching style, plus having you settle down in Japan for only three months is asking a lot especially if they decide not to ask you to re-contract.

Yeah I'm trying to see it as such. The extra time will also help me raise a little extra money to bring over (given that I can find a temp job from Jan-Feb) so fingers crossed and countdown extended lol.

How are you finding it so far??
    The mouth speaks what the heart is full of