Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old poster [2010] - with questions

Default Old poster (2010) - with questions

I'm thinking of reapplying (applied in 2010, no interview) so I contacted the Japanese embassy in DC - spoke with a lady, who couldn't reference my case specifically ("because she didn't have it in front of her") but provided me the general guidelines/advise of what I wasn't asked on an interview. I had a few thoughts and questions:

- It doesn't matter when you turn in your application. Or does it? I turned it in by hand at the last day. Any thoughts on this?

- Also I do not have my copy of the application I turned in 2010. Meaning - if I am not 100% accurate with the exact dates/titles/descriptions (this can get a bit tricky, as anyone can say) what is the best way to proceed? I am assuming a handful of others are in a similar situation.

- For those people who were not accepted on interviews, why do you think it was: the main reasons are: improper sorting, not signing stuff, incomplete forms, missing documents - I know all that. But do you think you had all that, but your "score" just didn't add up - low GPA / not a lot of experience / mediocre (I think mine was self-aggrandizing) SOPs? Thanks.

I'm trying to see whether or not to even re-apply and I wanted other opinions. on my situation.

Good luck for those who are applying.

Default Re: Old poster (2010) - with questions

1. I turned mine in toward the end of the application period, but if you're worried about it, it seems like this would be an easy mistake to rectify--just don't turn it in at the last minute. Aim for a week before the deadline or something.

2. Your application shouldn't be an exact duplicate of your previous application. I mean, it didn't get you in the first time. As far as dates go... well, your date of graduation didn't change, did it? If you're talking about employment dates, that kind of thing... just get as close as you can and hope for the best. They probably won't verify information like that, but even if they do... there's nothing you can do about it if you don't have the information anymore.

3. I think the main reason people don't clear the first application screening despite reading and posting on these forums is because they don't listen to the things that people tell them/have written here previously. If a large majority of the posters here think that one is an idiot, then one is probably an idiot, and needs to pay more attention to what they're saying. Folks around these parts know what they're talking about, and despite a penchant for rudeness and hilarity, most of 'em tend to offer some really, really good advice here.
    Last edited by word; October 24th, 2012 at 12:34. Reason: Derp.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I took the advise of many here including you. Still didn't get me in. I'm willing to take another shot at it, though.

You don't get extra point for turning it in on the first day, but it's probably a good idea to get it in a reasonable amount of time before the deadline in case something goes wrong.

Get someone here to read your SOP. There's not too much you can do to beef up the rest of your app at this point, so your SOP needs to be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by JJarmuth07 View Post
    I took the advise of many here including you. Still didn't get me in. I'm willing to take another shot at it, though.
    The advice of people here won't get you in: that's entirely up to you. It will, however, stop people making mistakes that will kill their chances (like weeaboo-gushing, bad spelling and grammar, going completely off the plot in their SOP, etc).
    ...because Japan.

Also a reason I am nervous about applying - I have not graduated yet. I left my university to work and did not took classes at a community college very sporadically (in order to graduate from my University) so long story short I should have graduated in 2009 but I am going to be graduating this December. Thoughts on this? Will this look bad? I ask this because so much of the proof of graduation, even reference letters, reference graduation.

I also am not sure how my former professor, someone I have not seen for years and who thought I graduated, will react when I ask her (a prominent Japanese educator who read applications/conducted interviews for JET) for ANOTHER rec letter. Thoughts? THANKS

You did not took? And you have no commas. And maybe a reference from years and years ago isn't so accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by tatsuko View Post
    You did not took? And you have no commas. And maybe a reference from years and years ago isn't so accurate.
    "You did not took"? <---- What does this mean?

"you have no commas" <----- Huh?

I understand that a reference from years ago may not be the most accurate but since I am still technically enrolled in community college (taking easy-A classes to transfer back to home university to reach 120 hours, thus graduate) I need an academic reference. What would you suggest?

Your previous post said "I did not took" it was brutal
    Your grammar was lacking in commas.

What are your guidelines? In the US, you need an academic reference from your school that notes your expected graduation date. So, that is something to check, since you want to make sure your references are right.

don't really care about typos on here. anyway:

i need: a letter of reference, a letter proving enrollment, a letter proving expected graduation date, and they all have to be separate. what i'm asking about is the first one - the reference letter itself.

And I was asking if they had a specific requirement for the reference. I only know what reference requirements are for the US applicants. If you can have anybody you want, have an employer or teacher that knows you decently well and knows the you of now, not three years ago.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

One of your reference letters has to come from someone at your educational institution. Ideally you should know this person and have a good working relationship with them (ie, they can answer the question "who is he?"). If you did not get an interview previously, and you believe that your SoP wasn't terrible then you need to look at your letters of reference, more specifically who was providing them. Remember, letters of reference are not prestige based things like when looking for a job, they are there to sell you. Getting a "prominent Japanese professor" to write the letter is irrelevant if the letter looks like crap because they won't put any effort into it.

Marks do not play as big a part in the process as people think (at least mine didn't apparently.... I was not a high performing student... at all), nor does date of submission (last couple of days for me).

As for not remembering every little thing, I wouldn't worry about it. That was 3? years ago now, you're bound to forget little details and frankly your current achievements and accomplishments are more relevant to the discussion than anything from back then. Specifically you need to sell what you've done between applications to make yourself a better candidate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Thanks Gizmotech!

I'm thinking of reapplying (applied in 2010, no interview) so I contacted the Japanese embassy in DC - spoke with a lady, who couldn't reference my case specifically ("because she didn't have it in front of her") but provided me the general guidelines/advise of what I wasn't asked on an interview. I had a few thoughts and questions:

- It doesn't matter when you turn in your application. Or does it? I turned it in by hand at the last day. Any thoughts on this?

- Also I do not have my copy of the application I turned in 2010. Meaning - if I am not 100% accurate with the exact dates/titles/descriptions (this can get a bit tricky, as anyone can say) what is the best way to proceed? I am assuming a handful of others are in a similar situation.

- For those people who were not accepted on interviews, why do you think it was: the main reasons are: improper sorting, not signing stuff, incomplete forms, missing documents - I know all that. But do you think you had all that, but your "score" just didn't add up - low GPA / not a lot of experience / mediocre (I think mine was self-aggrandizing) SOPs? Thanks.

I'm trying to see whether or not to even re-apply and I wanted other opinions. on my situation.

Good luck for those who are applying.
    Your SOP counts for a good portion of "points" in the application. Everything else is secondary until the interview stage. I personally know this was the case for the people who applied for the 2010 intake, but I doubt it's changed that much since then.

The program doesn't care when you hand in your application, as long as you hand it in during the dates they specify. It's called following directions. Do that, and you're golden.

*disclaimer - my GPA was trash. My academic LoR person wrote about it, but I never touched it in my SoP. Felt it was more important to write about what the program could do for me and what I could do for the program than have a sob story about how I discovered Naruto and Japan at the tender age of 7 and now I want to go teach kids.

According to your posts from previous you DID get an interview and made an alternate. Also remember you were being a prat about upgrading your ticket to business class and bringing your car over.

So y'know...best of luck. But I'm calling troll based on previous posts
    Last edited by Cytrix; October 24th, 2012 at 23:58.
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

I was mistaken when I thought I got an interview. It was not my number. I wasn't seirously considering my car, and I don't think trying to upgrade is being a brat but oh well. Onto the next application...

And btw I don't know or care what a troll is but I'm just looking for some help around here.

I was mistaken when I thought I got an interview.

From here

Let me first start by saying that once again I was shocked to see the utter ratchetness of some of the "applicants" who came into the interview. Granted, it was professional by American standards but for the most part people looked disseheleved and nervous as hell.

The interview went great. I was myself and showed them a side that they, admittedly, found refreshing and also don't get a lot: music, and the ways it can factor into an educational setting. I stressed the universality of music (both in my SOP and the interview) and they ate it up.

Now the waiting game begins again.
    So the interview panel just decided to let you interview even though you apparently lack proper reading comprehension?
    Last edited by Cytrix; October 25th, 2012 at 00:06.
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

LOL I'd quite forgotten about all that. No worries, JJ. If you're ballsy enough to show up here without creating a new account, you're all right.
    Last edited by word; October 25th, 2012 at 00:06.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I just simply need to assess whether or not I should reapply - at this point it's looking like yes but I still need to know.