Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Specific question help within the app form.

Default Specific question help within the app form.

Not sure where else to put this.

I have 2 questions so far.
    1: Q17 on the online app says duties, and you're supposed to say whether you want to do that duty or not. But on mine there are no options and no boxes. It just goes straight to Q17a
    Does everyone elses form do this?

2:Q27 about " international/intercultural experiences" is it really asking me to list where I've been on holiday?!

1 - Yes, mine's like that too, and it was the same last year. Q17a is the first option for the duties section, 'Q17' itself only acts as a sort of heading.

2 - Yep. A lot of learning and cultural exchange can happen during holidays abroad, which is probably what JET is interested in.

Default Re: Specific question help within the app form.

I thought that the international experience question was more for study abroad or extended holidays, not just a week or so with a tour group. At least that's how it was back in the day when I applied.

Hell I put down my week-long trips to Australia which is like popping next door to your neighbour's place for us Kiwis. Anything to show this isn't your first time overseas is a good thing
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

Quote Originally Posted by MJjunkie86 View Post
    N

2:Q27 about " international/intercultural experiences" is it really asking me to list where I've been on holiday?!
    Bare in mind this is the same form the Americans use. Going abroad is a bit of a big deal for many of them, not so easy and common as for modern Brits.
    I don't think you need to put too much on that, I pretty much just said for the holidays part "have taken holidays to France, Spain and Greece. Spent a summer travelling in central Europe visiting Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Slovakia and Hungary. Might have once been abducted by aliens and taken to their secret base on Venus."
    Last edited by Tyr; October 30th, 2012 at 13:13.

Thanks guys Think I shall just put down "big" holidays as opposed to little ones! 3 months in Kenya vs 3 days in Amsterdam! LOL

Hadnt realised that Americans have basically the same form! Makes sense now!

Glad you made it back from Venus safely!
    Last edited by MJjunkie86; October 30th, 2012 at 21:34.

Another question...
    Q25 about Uni.
    I did the first 2 yrs of my degree at one uni now i'm finishing it off at another uni but the form doesnt allow me to put this down. My first uni, they gave me a certificate with a lesser award which I guess should go in the 4th place. So how do I get around this? Just put all four years at my current uni...or what? :/

Another question...
    Q25 about Uni.
    I did the first 2 yrs of my degree at one uni now i'm finishing it off at another uni but the form doesnt allow me to put this down. My first uni, they gave me a certificate with a lesser award which I guess should go in the 4th place. So how do I get around this? Just put all four years at my current uni...or what? :/
    Wait, on the American application they have up to 5 spots for education... Put the dates you attended your most recent university in spot number 1, and the dates you attended the previous university in spot number 2.

If you can't get the transcripts from your current University to accurately reflect your transfer credits, then you can get a transcript from the other Universities on the list.

Also. as to the certificate they awarded you at the first University, I presume its some sort of Associate's degree, and that probably has a relevant abbreviation from where you are.
    Last edited by kenright; October 31st, 2012 at 05:56.

On ours they have 4 spots. One for Undergrad, next is Masters, next is PHD and next is Other. So I kinda have 2 undergrad uni's, one of which also fits other. So putting it in the second spot cant be done as it's not a masters degree.
    *sigh*

On ours they have 4 spots. One for Undergrad, next is Masters, next is PHD and next is Other. So I kinda have 2 undergrad uni's, one of which also fits other. So putting it in the second spot cant be done as it's not a masters degree.
    *sigh*
    Your application is weird.

Put the two years that you are spending finishing your degree in the undergrad space, and put the other two in the other space.

I put down everywhere I've ever gone that wasn't the US. That's what I did the first time, too, and that time I got in.

Thanks guy, I shall split them over the two sections

For my main 3 holidays Ive mentioned Japan this year, Kenya where I went for a few months and also a holiday I took with my Grandma, to get the whole family thing in there! The rest I kinda just listed in the other box!

I listed basically every time i've been abroad. XD but admittedly they were mostly for extended periods (living in america for 4 years, my grandparents live in spain and i've been going since i was very small almost every summer, etc)

and the other questions, don't they eliminate themselves after you select ALT?

Sent my online application off today! wahoo!

LOL Yeah I basically listed everywhere I've been recently! Never lived abroad tho! Lucky you!!

Yay congrats on your application!!

Advice please...
    the informal language bit... I've put what I've been doing...Blah blah blah but what do you think about putting in this....
    I also learnt a few key phrases while in Japan, mainly, "No ice, please!"

Yes/no? Is it a bit too casual? Or just on the right side of fun but appropriate?!

Ugh and in order to have "introductory" as a rating for language you have to know both Hiragana AND Katakana :/ You think I can get away with only knowing H..?

I think you can tell what I'm doing tonight...

The tattoo question, I don't need to say what the tattoo is, only that I have one and the size of it. Right?

Tattoo question? That sounds unpleasant (and I'm pretty sure they just want to know what you have, where you have it, and how large it is). Also pretty sure that will preclude you entirely from Osaka.

As for knowing hiragana and katakana, they're both really easy to learn, it should only take you a week at most to know them and then a few more to be able to read them relatively quickly; the fact that the writing system is syllabic makes it reaaalllly easy to learn.

i put level 1 japanese and im only just learning katakana too so.... :/ they're both fairly easy though. you will probably have them both down by the time the interview rolls around.

as for informal language learning i listed the genki book and workbook i have been using and then just something like "personal learning from various media and materials" lol. a kind of roundabout way of saying "i watch anime and jdramas and read magazines" haha. I'd say the "no ice please" is a bit too jokey and informal for this part of the application. you can always talk about it in the interview if they ask?

for the tattoo and piercings part i just wrote about where they were, what size (cause they did ask for WHAT it is of) and whether or not they are easily removable/concealable.

Oh yeah, duur! I forgot that by the time the interview rolls around it will be months from now! It didnt take long to learn the Hiragana, so I suppose the Katakana will be fairly easy too
    I use a great site called Memrise, really helped me to learn the Haragana quickly Think I just justify putting intro level, instead of no Japanese

Candidates who have tattoos and / or body piercings, please describe the details of the location and the size in this section as well. Please have your doctor complete the Statement of Physician, except for tattoos and body piercings

It doesnt actually say to describe WHAT they are, only where and how big... I think I put basically the same as you, making sure the first thing I said was how easy they are to be covered! LOL

Good idea about the ice thing. I'll save that gem for the interview