Thread: Formal/Informal language quesiton

Default Formal/Informal language quesiton

So I have a quick question,

I'm filling out formal/informal language experience and I'm not sure if I should put every single one of my classes including my history classes and classes I took from my university before I transferred or if I should just put the important courses like recent courses. Is it necessary to put every single class? (I have a ton of them which won't fit on just one separate page). I took Japanese 101 through 401 so far but I'm thinking of just mentioning my most recent Japanese class.

If I do have to put as many classes as possible how do I attach a separate page? Also, what counts as informal? Does an internship teaching in Japan count as informal or maybe being with a host family? I also studied at a high school in Japan for a study abroad program through my own high school. I'm not sure what I should do for all this.

Thank you!

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Formal/Informal language quesiton

How much Japanese experience do you have, and is any of it actually related to language use?

Like think about it, a history class on Japan has about as much relevance as saying you watched anime in japanese w/ subtitles for a decade.

Your Japanese language classes would be a good start. Your Internship would also be good. Studying in High-school abroad also is good if you actually used the language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

but I took about 5 classes at my first university and about 5 at the university I am at now. Plus, I studied abroad twice. They say not to exceed one page if I attach another. How do I attach another? Word doc?

Okay, so my next question. You're trying to be an ALT or a CIR? If you're being an ALT, they don't need your life story. If you're going to a CIR, you might want to attach another page.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I am applying for ALT.

Then they don't care that much. You're an English teacher, not a Japanese teacher.

The Miami coordinator said to include all classes when I asked this question on the official forums. They told me to include an extra page with all of my education classes and Japanese classes, and those were my majors, so there were a lot.

oh really? How did you do it? Did you attach a word doc? I don't think it can go over a page though right?

I had a lot of teaching courses/experiences as well (I'm an bilingual education major), so I emailed the nearest JET Office asking about this. They responded that I should include the most relevant courses (to JET of course) on the application, and if need be, attach it as a separate document after.

Thank you! I just put a few more courses in a word doc