Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you pack for a year?

Default Re: How do you pack for a year?

Damn potato sack shirts!!! And gaping high-water pants. Looking like a block is only sexy if you're built like a block.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

If you're placed in Hokkaido, there are super large sizes available at Daiei.
    いいみで

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    Damn potato sack shirts!!! And gaping high-water pants. Looking like a block is only sexy if you're built like a block.
    I had a REALLY cute third year last year who I had never seen in anything other than her school uniform. She came in shortly after graduating and given she was into fashion and stuff I figured it'd be something pretty decent looking.

Nope. Burlap sack top, Flood pants that made her hips about twice as wide as she was. It was like looking at a brown clown w/o makeup.

Needless to say I was quite disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I put it down to most of the population being old. Every clothes shop in my town caters for either businessmen or old women.
    ...because Japan.

Fashion for women in Japan is absolutely atrocious. And yeah most clothing shops suck in small towns because they're catering to the barely mobile baasans that live in the neighborhood. Everyone else just drives down the highway to the mall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

Oooookay, how about a dude's perspective here. I'm 6'1" 200lbs, 36" waist, large to xl shirts depending on the brand...any troubles here? I'm definitely not a giant or anything, but I'm "above average" that would be living in a "below average" world, so I'm curious.

As to the PS3, I love mine and was planning on bringing it along (assuming I get picked, of course), there shouldn't be an issue in using it over there, right? Also, just bought a 3DS, is that one good to go?

Finally, what's this about bringing your own toothpaste and deoderent? Is that just so you can stick with brands your comfortable with or do they get kinda funky over there?

Bwhat.
    I'm 6' 210 pounds. I came over at a 38" waist, now wear a 34. I wear XL shirts because I'm broad shouldered. (46 jackets fit well, but can be kind of snug on the shoulders). Pants aren't that much of a problem, but larger than 38 will be (don't gain). Shirts long enough for arms CAN (most likely will) be a problem though.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

tshirts will be skin tight so if you plan on hanging out in gay clubs alot you should be fine, if that's not your scene you might struggle to find something that you are comfortable with. Where do you carry your 200lbs? if you have normal sized shoulders you'll struggle with shirts, if you are a little dude with a pot belly you should be ok.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I'm fairly well built, I think I have a 38 chest, been a while since I've had anything tailored. I've got the typical tight-end kinda build for you football fans. Well, good thing I have a solid stock of t-shirts, though I suppose I should start collecting button-downs/collared shirts and winter clothes. Not sure what the dress code is for teachers, but living all my life in Southern California has left me somewhat under-prepared for extended cold.

you should be able to find stuff that fits, just be prepared to pay a fortune for under armour stuff in sports shops while everyone else if off buying 20 Lsized tshirts for 5 dollars at uniqlo.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Dude, Costco has them right now for like $15 a 3-pack. Gonna so stock up on some long-johns and jackets while I still got some cash to blow

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bwhat87 View Post
    Finally, what's this about bringing your own toothpaste and deoderent? Is that just so you can stick with brands your comfortable with or do they get kinda funky over there?
    Toothpaste can be found just as easily here. The difference is the flavors, they may not be to your liking. As for the deodorant, stick deodorant and antiperspirant are hard to find that are strong enough for most gaijin. I've seen lots of body sprays here, and Axe is even here. But if you like your super power stick deodorant, Id bring it along, or have someone ship you a supply every 6 months or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

As for the toothpaste and deodorant: toothpaste you will probably be ok with. There used to be a lack of toothpaste with fluoride in Japan, but it's caught on in the last few years. Deodorant, however, you should bring plenty of. The stuff over here rarely has an antiperspirant ingredient and if it does, it's not that strong.
    ...because Japan.

tshirts will be skin tight so if you plan on hanging out in gay clubs alot you should be fine, if that's not your scene you might struggle to find something that you are comfortable with. Where do you carry your 200lbs? if you have normal sized shoulders you'll struggle with shirts, if you are a little dude with a pot belly you should be ok.
    Pot belly thing is so very true. Emphasis on short though. Some of the shirts just aren't made for people w/ long torsos and shorter legs. (Basically the exact opposite of Asians with their tall legs and short torsos)

you should be able to find stuff that fits, just be prepared to pay a fortune for under armour stuff in sports shops while everyone else if off buying 20 Lsized tshirts for 5 dollars at uniqlo.
    THIS. I was soo happy when the uniqlo polos just fit. Now if I was less of a fatty they'd be even better (still snug on the shoulders though... gay clubs for me)

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    Toothpaste can be found just as easily here. The difference is the flavors, they may not be to your liking. As for the deodorant, stick deodorant and antiperspirant are hard to find that are strong enough for most gaijin. I've seen lots of body sprays here, and Axe is even here. But if you like your super power stick deodorant, Id bring it along, or have someone ship you a supply every 6 months or so.
    I stock up from home every 6 months or so on deodorant (being a sweaty fat frenchman doesn't really work in Japan sadly) and I just get them to toss in my favourite toothpaste at the same time.

Last edited by 6261; September 27th, 2017 at 05:07.

Where do you carry your 200lbs? if you have normal sized shoulders you'll struggle with shirts, .
    This is so annoyingly true. Being a little guy I figured I wouldn't have any of the clothes problems I'd heard about from other westerners. But the shoulder issue. Every t-shirt is tight across the shoulders for me. I always try to buy a t-shirt or two when I'm back home. The ones here are so uncomfortable.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Heh, great. I'm wide-shouldered by American standards as it is, gonna be damn near impossible to find a shirt that fits me then. Guess it's a good thing I have a solid collection of t-shirts. I'm assuming there's a dress-code of sorts for ALTs while teaching? Cuz I'm woefully short in the collared-shirt department.

Depends on your school. I wear suits at my JHS and HS, and track suits at my ESs.
    いいみで

Short of jeans or revealing clothes, I wear whatever I want. I'm a woman though. My school is also awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

Quote Originally Posted by bwhat87 View Post
    As to the PS3, I love mine and was planning on bringing it along (assuming I get picked, of course), there shouldn't be an issue in using it over there, right? Also, just bought a 3DS, is that one good to go?

The PS3 will be fine. Your online accout is tied to address/card, so you'll keep your US one fine. PS3s are reigon free, so you can play any game from anywhere. It's also got an internal transformer, so you can use any default wall plug/kettle lead and it'll turn it on. You're from America judging by your flag, so just take your US plug and it will be fine.

The 3DS likewise in regards to charging. It's got the transformer in the plug, so you'll need to use a 100-120v 2-pin plug. From america, you're fine. From the UK, not so much. It's region locked, so watch out - Japanese games won't work on it.

In regards to deodorant: Antiperspirant seems non-existant. I've found regular brands of deodorant(Axe/Lynx) here, but in smaller cans that are more expensive.I'd recommend, if you can fit it, a can or 2 if you're a person that stinks naturally without it, or some antiperspirant if you're a sweaty manbeast. I wouldn't recommend taking a massive collection with you, ask a friend to drop you a care package or buy some off eBay or something if you need/want it.

Toothpaste is easily available everywhere, but I've found it has a bit of a bitter taste. It doesn't bother me, though. Whitening toothpastes seem non-existent.
    Last edited by MJN; December 3rd, 2012 at 11:20.
    I thought it was time to use a sig