Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you pack for a year?

Default Re: How do you pack for a year?

talking about games, I read somewhere (on here i believe) that the international games have english subtitles...
    what does this mean. really? If I buy a japanese game from china it will have english subtitles?? or does the game itself have to say international version??

Also, thanks about the DS games... I did not know that and that will be very useful!

Somewhere... maybe... I think I'm lost... anyone got a map?

Quote Originally Posted by TAmember2003 View Post
    talking about games, I read somewhere (on here i believe) that the international games have english subtitles...
    what does this mean. really? If I buy a japanese game from china it will have english subtitles?? or does the game itself have to say international version??

Also, thanks about the DS games... I did not know that and that will be very useful!
    No. There are games have "International" on the title and include English subtitles and voice overs. They are called International Editions but not all games have them. Off the top of my head I know Final Fantasy 12 and Star Ocean the Last Hope have International editions. Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix I believe has English... You have to look for the "International" on the cover.'

In fact, you can also look at the box and it will tell you what languages the game is in. 英語 is English if you don't know kanji. Look for that if you want it in English.
    Last edited by Laevatienn; December 8th, 2012 at 21:51.
    "I wonder how much effort is requires for a person to become happy. I think misfortune is a spiral. Once it starts it's hard to escape. In order to escape it takes everything you have to reach the end. Once you've given everything you can finally grasp it. I think that's what happiness means." Rena Ryuuguu

What kind of clothes are my fellow ladies going to pack? I'm one of those American fatties so I'll have to pack a bunch. I figure a jacket and few pairs of nice pants, a bag of camis and some nice shirts will last me until I get a feel for the job. Question is, what colors do you recommend? I was the only one at the Interac seminar wearing a color besides black/dark blue (mourners' colors).

i asked my recruiter about different color shirts and he told me it depends on the school.
    If everyone is wearing mourners colors then most likely you shouldnt be wearing bright colors (which is what I like).
    So im gonna take a few of the boring colors and a few of the happy colors. Buy more after I figure out which is safe.

hey guyys, googled the colour issue and came up with this: Japanese Fashion – What to wear at work

scroll through the comments.. it's old but seems to make sense, especially a lot of the comments. i actually didn't even concern myself with colours but guess that was a bad idea. good heads up.
    The mouth speaks what the heart is full of

No black? o.O That's not bueno, as that happens to be a prominent color in my wardrobe. I wonder if they're talking about just shirts or jackets or everything? Cuz, it must be said, while I could live with no black shirts, most of my sweatshirts and jackets are black and love my black pants.

Edit: saw that it's a black tie that pushes it over the top in the comments section, whew :P
    Last edited by bwhat87; January 6th, 2013 at 13:26.

As far as I know there are no rules against colors in Japan, I'd chalk the coloring up to it being a professional interview. Also, the article above was written by someone working for an eikaiwa--much different if you're going to work in a school (and maybe again different if you're at HS, but I don't think it can be that different). At least glad they realized that "no black" is definitely not a thing.

Of course during ceremonies (start/end of the semester, grad, etc.) more reserved colors are worn (but there's nothing wrong with a bright button up under your black suit) but there's nothing wrong with wearing bright colors--you might get comments but unless you're going to live in Japan forever (and therefore these professional clothes would only be for use in Japan) I don't see why you'd want to base your professional wear on what your school MIGHT think of you. It's definitely not a firing point--people will just be shocked by your colorfulness if anything else, then they'll get over it and never mention it again.

I work at an ES, JHS, and kindergarten and see all kinds of colors from the younger teachers (and lovely ranges of gray and black from the old people). There's so much to worry about when it comes to moving to Japan, I would worry about this the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

The interac pamphlet makes it sound like they're going to stalk us and kill us in our sleep if we don't have a jacket and heels every second of the day, so naturally it was a little concerning.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

The only time I have ever seen a female coworker wear black at work other than pants and or a smart jacket was when someone died. Otherwise I would say anything within the shades of brown or pastels is good.

That being said, I wouldn't worry too much. I wear a black fleece all winter with black chinos and no one says anything. In fact I've been complemented on it as it looks more professional than many of the teachers
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

If you're a woman, dress like someone in their 60s and you'll fit right in with the 20-something female teachers at my schools.
    ...because Japan.

decent article for things to bring
    The Sushi Complex: Moving to Japan: What to bring?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

That list really reads like a pre-departure list, which has many things that are unnecessary, or cheap enough here that there is no point to bring them.

Which is odd, as according to the blog she had been in Japan for a bit already when she wrote that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Default How do you pack for a year?

All I can say is bring deodorant and dental floss. Deodorant doesn't work here and dental floss is expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

Ditto-ing the deodorant comment.

I broke my stick (it was running low anyway) last Tokyo trip, and I had to buy Japanese roll on deodorant and even though it was in the dead of winter and I wasn't sweating much, I still felt gross.

I hope that if you bring NyQuil you get picked for a random bag check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.