Thread: JSDF English Test

Default JSDF English Test

Hey, I've got a kid who wants to enter some kind of special high school that will career-track him into the JSDF. Its entrance exam is pretty difficult, apparently, and he's trying to practice. My JTE tells me that the test is pretty similar to the TOEIC tests, but doesn't involve a lot of listening or speaking; it's primarily a reading comprehension test. Most of the TOEIC tests I'm finding seem to be centered around listening skills.

Anyone have any idea where I might find some sample test material to throw at him? I'm trying to make some of my own, but I'd obviously prefer to have prior/legit material.

The name of the HS is 高等工科学校 (Koutoukouka-gakkou), if that helps.
    Last edited by word; November 12th, 2012 at 13:18. Reason: Horrifyingly inappropriate and appallingly embarrassing apostrophe...
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: JSDF English Test

That's just a standard commercial/science high-school designation. I'll ask my guidance people about it, because it would be good to know if any of my students apply for officers college at all here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

受験にあたってどのような勉強が必要?

自衛隊の学校だからといって受験勉強に変わりはありません。高校受験の勉強で十分です。
    �����H�Ȋw�Z�|�����H�Ȋw�Z�Ƃ�

Shouldn't need to do anything special just because its a military school. Normal prep for any high school exam will do.

This blog does a pretty good job of breaking down what you need for entrance exams
    働きアリ : contents 英語 分野別 目次

Here are some entrance exam tests from the last few years
    http://homepage3.nifty.com/hinojuku/souko.htm
    Last edited by Ini; November 12th, 2012 at 12:35.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Here's what I could find out.
    The only part of the JSDF that requires an English test is officers school. The Armed forces university. 防衛大学校

What I can see from the guide:
    A) There is no listening test that I can see. I could be wrong on this though, the book is slightly difficult for me to read.
    B) They have a 70 minute English grammar test
    This test includes: (choose a-e)
    Grammar questions like the Eiken. Example sentence w/ missing word/phrase.
    Full paragraph w/ missing sentences.
    C) A reading/writing test. 100 minutes
    Massive paragraphs w/ missing words
    Massive paragraphs w/ choose the right synonym
    Reading understanding questions. does A assume XYZ, does B assume XYZ.... etc.

Here's something to note: Everything in the 2007 test was relatively current. IE this was the last comprehension paragraph:
    How R tngz, dude? | Macleans.ca - Science - Technology
    Here's from the 70 minute test.
    Mr. Matsui's apology | The Japan Times Online (upto: prompting Tuesday's clarifications. )

Which should also give you a general idea of the level of the test.

It's very Eiken to be honest. Probably eiken 2/pre1 level. I would say the student would need to do some serious vocab study, less grammar, and he'd be fine. Mind you that's the same advice I give for the eiken as well, as students w/ massive vocabularies do way better on the eiken than grammar junkies, as they don't need to know the grammar to answer the questions :P

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

This blog does a pretty good job of breaking down what you need for entrance exams
    That is an amazing blog Ini, thank you.

�����H�Ȋw�Z�|�����H�Ȋw�Z�Ƃ�

Shouldn't need to do anything special just because its a military school. Normal prep for any high school exam will do.

Here are some entrance exam tests from the last few years
    QZAZȂǁij
    Holy crap; thanks, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.