Thread: What do you think ALT training will be like

Default What do you think ALT training will be like

i hear it is intense.

Default Re: What do you think ALT training will be like

ALT training will likely be one of two things: boring or non-existent.

Admittedly, I don't know about training with a private company, but my guess is there won't be too much training beyond throwing you into a classroom and seeing what happens. That's about all some of my private-ALT friends got, from their stories.
    ...because Japan.

I actually had a pretty good training with my current company, a crash course in how to plan, write, and deliver a basic lesson.

My previous company gave me none. Follow up training sessions for both companies were boring.

Depends on the company, but usually Antonath is on the nose.

i have been told three stories.

the first one was a good experience, the girl said that they had fun and everything was pretty clear and cut.

the 2nd one the guy said they were horrible. The trainers where there to make you cry, make you feel like crap, so on and so forth.

then the 3rd story is from my recruiter... he said it was very intense and that more then 1 of us (the people in the room) would be crying by the end of the day...

So.... lol
    I would say its going to be an intense training and if you easily cry or get your feelings hurt you might not make it through the day (without crying)
    Never done it yet, so I will have to see for myself...! Personally I love a challenge... lol

It's mostly signing paperwork and doing mock lesson plans, and performing it in front of a group. They have three people in your group judge your lesson. Most people are nice about it, they're too busy worrying about their own to care enough about yours.

It is essentially a crash course in teaching. They also lecture you about drunk driving and drugs and other laws in Japan.

The best part about training is that's where you make friends, so look forward to that.

^ thats all good news!
    I didn't release that we get judged by our peers... lol

It sounds like its going to be a week or 2 of the interview we had, lol. But everyone gives you feedback... which we kinda did that in our group after the fact.

I wonder where all the crying would come from, lol? During your training akanemukade, did you do it in the tokyo office or the osaka? and did yall have time to go out and explore afterwards?

Hopefully my A in my Lesson Plan writing class will benefit my....lol yes it was a class all about writing lesson plans.

QUOTE=akanemukade;799863]It's mostly signing paperwork and doing mock lesson plans, and performing it in front of a group. They have three people in your group judge your lesson. Most people are nice about it, they're too busy worrying about their own to care enough about yours.

It is essentially a crash course in teaching. They also lecture you about drunk driving and drugs and other laws in Japan.

The best part about training is that's where you make friends, so look forward to that. [/QUOTE]

Last edited by akanemukade; September 27th, 2017 at 05:09.

I have a friend in Osaka for school right now.. it looks awesome and Akane is just making me more and more excited

As TA said it sounds like a week-long version of our seminars.. I did a decent TESOL course online that had me writing lesson plans at every turn so will have to review that stuff before heading over.
    The mouth speaks what the heart is full of

^ I have never written a lesson plan before! X.X lol...
    I hope its not too hard...

but doesnt interac have things they want you to teach?

Somewhere... maybe... I think I'm lost... anyone got a map?

Quote Originally Posted by TAmember2003 View Post
    ^ I have never written a lesson plan before! X.X lol...
    I hope its not too hard...

but doesnt interac have things they want you to teach?
    Nope. You are subject to whatever the schools are teaching. They should give you a primer on whatever textbook is in. I it's Hello World or Hello Friends for elementary school right now. I don't know if New Horizon is still there or not for JHS but the point is you will use whatever the school is using. Interac is a dispatch company not a teaching company. Unless you count the business teachers, I'm not sure about them.
    "I wonder how much effort is requires for a person to become happy. I think misfortune is a spiral. Once it starts it's hard to escape. In order to escape it takes everything you have to reach the end. Once you've given everything you can finally grasp it. I think that's what happiness means." Rena Ryuuguu

Interac provides lesson plans for each year of ES and JHS classes on their teaching website. You won't have access to it unless you are an employee.

Also, when I worked for them, most employees did not know this website existed... Most schools also will want different lesson plans than the ones Interac provides. I for one never really used them, as they did not match up with the textbooks my schools used.

I don't know about any other companies, but I've had some friends (by that I mean 2 lol) go through Interac. They both had TEFL cert's, and they said that a few times they just used the plans they had created from that course. Also, they definitely mimicked what was said above about many people in the group too busy with their own stuff to really criticize you too harshly.

Then my seminar recruiter told me that he actually saw someone cry once, but she had already failed training once. He said that I shouldn't worry about it, and anyone with an imagination and work ethic will breeze right through . Lesson plans aren't too hard to make, and to be honest if you are absolutely strapped for time there are so many online ^^. I like to make my own because it's easier for me to remember, but it's a personal preference. That said, I don't know if they require you to make your own, or what the guidelines are, but worse comes to worse there are many 'fill-in-the-blank' templates online also. Very easy, very quick, and sometimes even fun ^^.

I wonder how you fail training??

Last edited by akanemukade; September 27th, 2017 at 05:08.

At my seminar, it was stressed to us that we would be the main teacher and teach on our own, and the JTE was there for classroom management and discipline. If this is the case, why is our job title 'Assistant Language Teacher'? Many of us (including myself) have never taught English lessons before as a stand alone teacher and are not qualified to do so. I wouldn't know where to start! This is one of my biggest worries to be honest: trying to explain an activity in English and not being understood, or know what I'm doing. Will the orientation prepare us well or is it just a 'chuck you in at the deep end and learn to swim' kind of thing?

Somewhere... maybe... I think I'm lost... anyone got a map?

Quote Originally Posted by Sakurahoshi View Post
    At my seminar, it was stressed to us that we would be the main teacher and teach on our own, and the JTE was there for classroom management and discipline. If this is the case, why is our job title 'Assistant Language Teacher'? Many of us (including myself) have never taught English lessons before as a stand alone teacher and are not qualified to do so. I wouldn't know where to start! This is one of my biggest worries to be honest: trying to explain an activity in English and not being understood, or know what I'm doing. Will the orientation prepare us well or is it just a 'chuck you in at the deep end and learn to swim' kind of thing?
    This has been the case since I went there and I think a little bit before hand. It's not too difficult or too much of a change from team teaching. For the most part you are teaching on your own in elementary school.

Actually, now that I think about it, Interac hasn't been using the term Assistant Language Teacher just ALT according to some people at the office I still have contact with. I just ran a search on the site and the full term only appears once during one of the weird interviews. From what I understand they are using ALT as a brand rather than a term if that makes sense...Interac does some strange things.
    "I wonder how much effort is requires for a person to become happy. I think misfortune is a spiral. Once it starts it's hard to escape. In order to escape it takes everything you have to reach the end. Once you've given everything you can finally grasp it. I think that's what happiness means." Rena Ryuuguu

No one uses the word Assistant Language Teacher. They can't speak English for shit. Why would they not use the abbreviation every friggin chance they get? Don't worry. It's not a conspiracy theory. It's just symbolic of a cultural failure to learn English.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.