Thread: previous arrest

Default previous arrest

I applied for JET once before, and was rejected, and I think I know the reason: I have a previous arrest (for trespassing). Charges were never pressed, but I mentioned it in my last JET application anyways. And was rejected.

I later found out that the arrest does not appear on my FBI background check. I am applying once again and am wondering: should I mention the arrest in this application too? Will they look at my previous application when reviewing this one, or can risk just not mentioning it?

Quote Originally Posted by timchi View Post
    I applied for JET once before, and was rejected, and I think I know the reason: I have a previous arrest (for trespassing). Charges were never pressed, but I mentioned it in my last JET application anyways. And was rejected.

I later found out that the arrest does not appear on my FBI background check. I am applying once again and am wondering: should I mention the arrest in this application too? Will they look at my previous application when reviewing this one, or can risk just not mentioning it?
    I'm pretty sure they keep your previous applications.

Default Re: previous arrest

I wouldn't mention it. There's no telling if they will check it or not (and I'd assume they'd be more likely to check if you applied last year as opposed to 5 years ago) but if it's not on your record, you don't need to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Are you sure that your arrest is the reason (especially if charges were never pressed and it doesn't show up on your FBI check)? I wouldn't mention it.

On the last application (2011), where it asks for previous criminal history, I wrote down that I was arrested once before.

Since the arrest is not on my FBI background check, I would love to pretend that it didn't happen and never mention it again. However, since JET may have my old application with the admission of arrest, I'm not sure if it's in my best interest to lie about it now
    Last edited by timchi; November 14th, 2012 at 09:15.

I'd still lie, but that's just me.

I feel like the odds of being rejected because of the arrest are probably higher than the odds of your previous application being examined that thoroughly.

I could be completely wrong, though; this is gonna have to be your call.

Sucks that you didn't find out until later. Other/future applicants: Take note. This is why you should always send off for an FBI background check for yourself as well as for the app, and if possible, you should do so early. If something's not on there... no need to mention it!
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Timchi, look at it this way.

If that was the reason you were rejected, you will be rejected again so what do you have to lose?

So, if it's not on your FBI report, don't mention it and then hope they don't read your previous application. If they do, and you make it to interview, be prepared to talk about it. At this point though if you assume that was the reason, you will never get back in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.