Thread: SoP Length

Default SoP Length

Hi everyone:

My 2013 application is complete with the exception of my SoP, which I'm just about done with. On the JET USA website they are explicit that 'anything beyond the required two pages will be discarded unread'; however, I've read a number of samples from supposed 'successful' candidates from past years and some of them far exceed the two-page limit. Furthermore, on the 'Unofficial JET Programme Guide' ( The JET Programme in Japan - JET Personal Statement of Purpose Essay samples - Page Three) they even go so far as to say: 'disregard the maximum page limit on the application form'.

I can be concise and fit it into the two pages as I originally planned - but if I have relevant/poignant things to say should I be worried about exceeding the two page 'limit' by a paragraph or two?

Thanks for your thoughts and best of luck to those applying for 2013 -

Default Re: SoP Length

stick to two pages i'd say. that way you also show you follow instructions. the people with more pages may have been from countries with a 1000 word limit like us in the UK which goes over 2 pages. or may have had an exceptional application and references so the extra was overlooked. or it may have been disgarded and the rest of the SoP was amazing so they got an interview from that. but i'd say stick to two pages. just to be sure

Greatly appreciate the advice - that's what I was leaning towards but thought I'd get another opinion.

My guidelines say 800-1000 words

JET Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme UK

Try to stick with that.

You're not going to get an interview if you can't follow directions. Stick with two pages. Keep in mind that these folks have to read hundreds of apps; unless you're writing the words of God Himself, they probably don't want to spend the effort to care about your writing beyond the requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by onaJETplane View Post
    My guidelines say 800-1000 words

JET Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme UK

Try to stick with that.
    They should probably stick with their own country's guidelines, lol.