Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have you turned in your application?

Default Have you turned in your application?

I'm almost done with mine and will hand deliver it to the embassy in DC but I am wondering what everyone elses status is - have you turned it in? If so when?

I know it's been repeated ad nausea that it does not matter when one turns in the application but is that really true. Specifically, will it be worse if I turn it in close to the deadline (i.e. next week)? Thanks!

I'm still waiting to get a rec letter, transcript, and other documents through snail mail. Grrr.

Nnnnnope, I'm obviously going to only just about make it at the rate I'm going

Default Re: Have you turned in your application?

Same thing is happening to me. One of my professors is taking their absolute sweet time writing my recommendation. I just hope they have something truly amazing to say about me.

Got everything ready to go, but just need to finalize my personal statement.

I sent mine in thursday. I had the same problem that Armouredghost had. One of my recommenders spend over a month writing my ref letter. I was getting really worried about being able to get my application in on time.

I sent mine in yesterday Priority Certified mail from Southern California. It SHOULD get there in time, but, given the magnitude of the contents, I'm still a touch nervous. The thing that held me back was the dang expected graduation date confirmation. My advisor wouldn't give me a confirmation until I had applied to graduate, and I couldn't do that till Nov. 6 then he only got it done yesterday after much badgering on my part. Ah well, all's well that ends well I suppose, I just hope I get an interview out of it -_-

Quote Originally Posted by bwhat87 View Post
    I sent mine in yesterday Priority Certified mail from Southern California. It SHOULD get there in time, but, given the magnitude of the contents, I'm still a touch nervous.
    Just out of curiosity, how much did Priority Certified mail cost you? I sent mine UPS 2nd day air and it was $26.88. (mine should be there monday morning but I'm dying of anticipation.)

Sending mine in first thing tomorrow.... just have to scan some stuff tonight to get it ready.

Quote Originally Posted by CherryBerry View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how much did Priority Certified mail cost you? I sent mine UPS 2nd day air and it was $26.88. (mine should be there monday morning but I'm dying of anticipation.)
    $9.15. I use Stamps.com at work and shipped it from there (benefits of working in a small company and being the shipping department :P ) and the eta was 2 business days, so it should get there Monday or Tuesday.

I just sent mine off this morning. I have mixed feelings. I kept wanting to check it over and over again and make sure everything is right. Sending it off was nerve-wracking.

Quote Originally Posted by JJarmuth07 View Post
    I'm almost done with mine and will hand deliver it to the embassy in DC but I am wondering what everyone elses status is - have you turned it in? If so when?

I know it's been repeated ad nausea that it does not matter when one turns in the application but is that really true.

You are so lucky that you live close by to DC.
    I mailed out mines about a week ago on my birthday, and have the same nauseated feeling.

I had problems with the printed application cutting off a lot of my responses (I saw on the official JET forum that Miami coordinator said it was ok to send in "as is" with responses cut off from the previous years, but didn't want to take the chance so I hand wrote in all the cut- off responses. It was a little frustrating having to do so x 3).

Anyone else experienced the same thing?

It's nice to meet you all and good luck to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Melody View Post
    (I saw on the official JET forum that Miami coordinator said it was ok to send in "as is" with responses cut off from the previous years, but didn't want to take the chance so I hand wrote in all the cut- off responses. It was a little frustrating having to do so x 3).
    ...why didn't you just do it once and photo copy it?

IDK, but since you've already done it, I personally wouldn't have even bothered at all. My application had chunks cut off. I'm pretty sure they use the triplicate (at least in the US) for the interview panel so that everyone can have a copy of your application.

Quote Originally Posted by JJarmuth07 View Post
    I'm almost done with mine and will hand deliver it to the embassy in DC

Not knowing how to use the post office doesn't impress anybody.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Not knowing how to use the post office doesn't impress anybody.

Or I work right by the embassy and would rather not pay $ and not know if it arrives on time. U mad?

Everything's taken care of from my end, now it's just up to the vagaries of the USPS. I'm applying from Mozambique, which has been a nightmare. My friend who's collecting documents for me at home is just waiting on a rec letter (carried across the Atlantic on Wednesday, and mailed on Thursday by another friend... ironically from DC). As soon as it makes it to Boston, he'll hopefully be able to turn it around right away and overnight it all right back to DC. Waiting on pins and needles, because if he doesn't get it today... things start to look pretty hairy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Melody View Post
    You are so lucky that you live close by to DC.
    I mailed out mines about a week ago on my birthday, and have the same nauseated feeling.
    My app arrived at 10am today and I'm starting to get that same feeling. -.- Yay for being anxious about it. ^.^

Finished and mailed it off this morning. Now as long as the USPS holds up thier end of the bargain all should be well. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about it anymore unless I get an interview.

Mine's in transit and will arrive in Ottawa in a couple of days. Feels like a huge weight is off my shoulders... yay!

Mine is gone yay!!! everyone good luck!!!!

Man, looks like I'm kind of screwed. The second letter of recommendation was mailed about a week ago but seems to be lost. What do you guys think is the lesser of two evils:

1) Having my supervisor fax a copy of the reference directly to consulate. I got permission to do this in the past with my physician's form, but haven't been able to get through to the consulate today.
    or...
    2) Having a Japanese friend who I collaborated on some development projects and who has seen me teach write me a new one? I know they say no friends, but one could make the case that he's as much colleague as friend...

So, a possible disqualification or a weak second recommendation? Looks like I've got about five hours to decide before the cut off to overnight it...