Thread: SOP 2012 - Review

Default SOP 2012 - Review

Yes the ordeal of applying is over, now we have to wait. While we wait, would someone like to take a look at my SoP? I didn't have much time to send it around to people before the deadline but I'd love some constructive criticism. Thanks all in advance!

I'll take a look at it.

Just copy/paste it into a PM.
    Last edited by SPR_255; November 27th, 2012 at 05:24.
    2013 JET Program Applicant

Default Re: SOP 2012 - Review

Waiting is going to be absolutely excruciating. It's only been 5 days since the deadline and already I feel as though I've scoured every inch of ITIL's forums for some magical tidbit of information which will tell me I'm either a veritable shoo-in or have absolutely no chance of making it. I just need to know one way or the other. Current/former JETs, will you read my SoP and grade it on a 10 point scale? Please feed my obsessive masochistic tendencies omnomnom

Quote Originally Posted by JJarmuth07 View Post
    Yes the ordeal of applying is over for some
    Fixed.

Japana send me your SoP I will send you mind if you'd like

Deal!

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Assume you will fail, make new plans, get on with life. If you get an interview, start thinking about JET again. If not, well atleast you were being productive in the mean time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Calm down, I don't intend on burrowing down into the dark bowels of the internet and hibernating for the next 2-3 months. I'm sure you displayed some rudimentary emotion yourself once, so surely you can relate to a few post-application jitters.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

No, that was honest advice and the same advice I used. Once I was done w/ the application I forgot about it until I got the interview e-mail. I focused on other things which I needed to do even if I got into JET, and when the interview came I started caring about JET again.

Rather than live in a state of over excited agitation concerning an event I could not control, I chose to be calm and collected and get things done. Oddly enough, my friends who did that made it through their interviews, and my friends who were having jitters and second guessing themselves for 2 months were the ones that didn't make it past their interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I did promise myself I'd forget about JET until February, especially since I have somewhat serious doubts about my competitive edge over the large number of excessively-qualified applicants (I have zero teaching experience, only a little tutoring), but so far I haven't strictly adhered to that plan per se. Anyway, with finals in two weeks, a winter internship, and 6 classes next semester, I'm sure I'll have plenty to distract me.

I wholeheartedly agree with Gizmo. Once my application in, it's my intention to completely forget JET until mid-January at the earliest.
    Reviewing your SoP now, I think, doesn't gain you anything. Likely I'd focus on the phantom or actual mistakes, and they'd gnaw away at me for no purpose. It's submitted, and any issues are impossible to resolve now. A week before interviews likely I'll take another look over it to prepare myself to cover in the interview what I'd spoken about, but the SoP stage is over. Personally, if I spent 3 months wringing my hands over whether or not I will get / have got an interview or how good my PoS was, I'd be a veritable mess, or at least most likely come across as desperate, come the time of the interview.
    That's my take on it, anyway. To have the confidence I need in the interview, I will prepare. But equally, I won't weigh my entire life plan on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Japanna View Post
    especially since I have somewhat serious doubts about my competitive edge over the large number of excessively-qualified applicants
    This is what you need to work on, and, I think for me, being on the official forums too much can produce. There are so many factors involved in what they want to make a good ALT, and sure teaching is one of them. But what seems equally, if not more important, is a strong, confident, adaptable individual with a good sense of cultural identity and ability to interact with new people and situations. If you aren't confident you're good enough, they'll sure as hell pick up on it and probably agree.
    There was a good post on it by Miami coordinator on the official forums.
    http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/v...ic.php?t=12328