Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, between now and the interview...

Default So, between now and the interview...

We now have a month (or 2!) to wait to hear whether we even get an interview.
    What plans do people have to pass the time?
    I can see the board drying up a little...!

Quote Originally Posted by MJjunkie86 View Post
    We now have a month (or 2!) to wait to hear whether we even get an interview.
    What plans do people have to pass the time?
    I can see the board drying up a little...!
    Just finished school, so I don't have to worry about that anymore. Guess I'll just work full time to build up some capital and do a farewell do good micro-brews.

Default Re: So, between now and the interview...

I'm just concentrating on work really and seeing friends on my days off. I look on here most days and do a bit of reading up on JET and Japan but I am not going to think or worry much about it until the new year or until letters start arriving on doormats.

Just working the time away! I recently got sort of promoted, I really like my job and I'll be moving out soon so I'm honestly not too bothered about JET anymore. I'd still be chuffed if I got an interview though.

I'm going to attempt to learn the language while I wait, while at the same time trying not to set myself up for too much disappointment if I get rejected. Which doesn't make much sense, but I figure I'll keep teaching myself even if I don't get in. It's kind of...fun? to learn the kanji.
    Last edited by stanmarsh; December 11th, 2012 at 11:07.

I've started back on my daily Japanese study... I stopped when I was working on the application. Other than that, I'm not sure what else I'm going to do, other than work.

Double my amount of Japanese classes. depending on my teachers schedule. Other than that same ol same ol

Thankfully I have summer school (Mandarin, to finally complete my degree) to keep me a bit distracted. I'll also be working part-time, but it still feels like a really long wait ahead.

Yeah the wait is going to kill me. It's not so bad now, but once people start receiving their letters, its going to be hard!

Thankfully I have placement until Christmas, then dissertation after Christmas to do, so that shall keep me nice and busy and stressed!

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by stanmarsh View Post
    I guess I should finish grad school, ha!

I'm going to attempt to learn the language while I wait, while at the same time trying not to set myself up for too much disappointment if I get rejected. Which doesn't make much sense, but I figure I'll keep teaching myself even if I don't get in. It's kind of...fun? to learn the kanji.

On a side note, I got the notice that my application has been processed today, along with my ID number...ahhhhhhhh! I just emailed myself the number, since there's no way in hell that I won't lose that piece of paper between now and February or so...
    Doing JET AFTER grad school?

ummm....what?
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

I'm doing exactly the same thing I was before, working. The only two people that know I applied are my two references and I plan on keeping it that way until I get an interview. If I don't make it at least I won't have spent months neglecting my "normal" life for the benefit of something that won't happen.

Working roughly 30 hours per week.
    Finishing up my Bachelor's degree (Spring 2013).
    Studying some basic Japanese.
    2013 JET Program Applicant

What's grad school??

Aahh stoke! That actually make me feel sorry for you!! Cheer up, it might happen!

Quote Originally Posted by SPR_255 View Post
    Studying some basic Japanese.
    What basic Japanese are you learning?

What's grad school??

Aahh stoke! That actually make me feel sorry for you!! Cheer up, it might happen!
    Whoops, meant to say "might not happen." My inner pessimist is bleeding through.

Grad school is post-bachelor level education. For getting masters degrees and beyond after you have already obtained your 4 year bachelor degree.
    Last edited by Stoke; December 6th, 2012 at 04:20.

What basic Japanese are you learning?
    Well, I've got the hiragana and katakana down as well as a handful of phrases/vocab words. After this hectic, 5-class semester is over with on the 16th I can get back to studying Japanese (only 2 classes in spring).

Japanese For Busy People I
    My Japanese Coach on DS
    Rosetta Stone
    Japanese "Living Language" Set (books and CDs) I got from a friend awhile back.
    Courses on livemocha.com

Just some basic stuff. I feel I won't be able to retain a lot of it until I have to use it on a daily basis.
    2013 JET Program Applicant

-I'm studying basic Japanese with Pimselur and other learning aids that the library has to offer.
    -I'm interviewing with schools (via Teach for America) in New York in case I do not make into JET.
    -I'm applying for temporary work so that I can save up some money.
    -I'm going camping and hiking with friends!
    -I will get to hang out with my little brother more because he'll be home from university for winter break.
    -I'm finishing my Thai scrapbook that I started about 5 years ago.
    -I'm making a The Seventh Seal T-shirt
    -I'm auditioning for plays-- there are a few professional theatres in my city and if I can make it into one of their plays, then that would be a great way to do something I love and save money.
    Last edited by Paper Moon; December 6th, 2012 at 12:35.

Well I am still at University and desperately trying to get all the work done so will be kept busy. Still can't help thinking about it though when I regularly hear from my peers that they have confirmed job offers so can now 'sit back'...

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    Doing JET AFTER grad school?

ummm....what?
    yup
    Last edited by stanmarsh; December 11th, 2012 at 11:08.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

academia?

Why didn't you get a masters and then go get a job in the private sector?
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.