Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, between now and the interview...

Quote Originally Posted by stanmarsh View Post
    Quarter-life crisis, man. This is the end result of my graduate program being not at all what I thought it was. Y'know the people on here who seem extremely bitter and jaded about Japan? That's how I feel toward academia. Looking forward to having something else to eventually feel bitter and jaded about....
    I can relate. I had to take a year and a half off during my dang undergrad cuz I just hit a wall, let alone any post-grad stuff. Never too old to try something new, good luck bro.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Default Re: So, between now and the interview...

Babies
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Yeah, I mean um... unless you have a masters in philosophy or something, I would give JET a second thought. It can be a great experience, but I don't know. The job will probably make you want to blow your brains out if you've got a masters degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    academia?

Why didn't you get a masters and then go get a job in the private sector?
    That's the plan. I'm not just sitting around complaining (well, not too much...); I know that there's plenty of work outside of academia.

Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Yeah, I mean um... unless you have a masters in philosophy or something, I would give JET a second thought. It can be a great experience, but I don't know. The job will probably make you want to blow your brains out if you've got a masters degree.
    Yeah, I've been struggling with this. I realize that it's kind of futile to even think about it without even knowing if I have an interview, but the pros and cons of each job trajectory are completely opposite of each other. What Jet offers isn't easily attainable with my current job. On the flip side, being in Jet puts me as far away from my industry as can be, and I've heard varying opinions on how this will affect my future marketability. Bottom line: trust me, I've given this second thoughts...and third, fourth, fifth, etc. thoughts. It's both a win-win and a lose-lose situation, and hopefully the next few months away from school will give me some perspective...

Thanks, bwhat

Paper Moon, wow, that is an inspiring list of things to-do.
    All the best to you.

Eevee, what level of Mandarin are you studying?

By all means share the comraderie of fellow applicants, but don't be afraid to join us in the lounge if you're bored. Particularly if you have a strong personality. We love a good sh!tstorm every now and again. We also need to groom a few trolls to take over when Ini inevitably keels over from radiation poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterofpeace View Post
    By all means share the comraderie of fellow applicants, but don't be afraid to join us in the lounge if you're bored. Particularly if you have a strong personality. We love a good sh!tstorm every now and again. We also need to groom a few trolls to take over when Ini inevitably keels over from radiation poisoning.
    I was just there...I'm scared D:

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Moon View Post
    -I'm studying basic Japanese with Pimselur and other learning aids that the library has to offer.
    -I'm interviewing with schools (via Teach for America) in New York in case I do not make into JET.
    -I'm applying for temporary work so that I can save up some money.
    -I'm going camping and hiking with friends!
    -I will get to hang out with my little brother more because he'll be home from university for winter break.
    -I'm finishing my Thai scrapbook that I started about 5 years ago.
    -I'm making a The Seventh Seal T-shirt
    -I'm auditioning for plays-- there are a few professional theatres in my city and if I can make it into one of their plays, then that would be a great way to do something I love and save money.
    My sister was accepted into Teach for America. She ended up going to Houston.
    2013 JET Program Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Melody View Post
    Paper Moon, wow, that is an inspiring list of things to-do.
    All the best to you.
    Thank you, all the best to you too!

My sister was accepted into Teach for America. She ended up going to Houston.

Congratulations to her! My cousin was in Texas when he did Teach for America too. Does your sister like Teach for America?

I'm still uncertain about how I feel about Teach for America, but I'm really happy because I just found out that if I get into JET I might be able defer my Teach for America placement!

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Moon View Post
    Thank you, all the best to you too!

Congratulations to her! My cousin was in Texas when he did Teach for America too. Does your sister like Teach for America?

I'm still uncertain about how I feel about Teach for America, but I'm really happy because I just found out that if I get into JET I might be able defer my Teach for America placement!
    She enjoys teaching, but the school she was placed in is one of the worst in the city so she gets stressed sometimes. An overbearing, out of touch principal and extra-ghetto 4th graders will do that. Plus the school has all sorts of ridiculous rules. No recess, the kids change classes instead of having a single teacher throughout the day (I didn't start doing that until middle school), and they are not allowed to talk to each other during lunch. It sounds like a real nightmare/child prison, but she's soldiering through until she can get placed somewhere better, though I'm not sure how that works.
    2013 JET Program Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by SPR_255 View Post
    She enjoys teaching, but the school she was placed in is one of the worst in the city so she gets stressed sometimes. An overbearing, out of touch principal and extra-ghetto 4th graders will do that. Plus the school has all sorts of ridiculous rules. No recess, the kids change classes instead of having a single teacher throughout the day (I didn't start doing that until middle school), and they are not allowed to talk to each other during lunch. It sounds like a real nightmare/child prison, but she's soldiering through until she can get placed somewhere better, though I'm not sure how that works.
    Thank you for sharing her experience with me--I hope that she's able to change schools and I hope, for the kids' sake, that positive changes are implemented in the school. I've heard a lot of horror stories about Teach for America, but I've heard positive stories too. I'm preparing for the worst, but I worked in a summer camp where I constantly had to make sure that the younger kids didn't try to grab poisonous snakes, so at least in the classroom there won't be any worry of keeping the kids away from poisonous snakes--- Or so I imagine, maybe I'm wrong. In my inner-city middle school we had rats. My class liked them and we gave them names!

It seems that with TFA, like JET, it's fairly up in the air as to whether you'll get a school that you like with co-workers whom you like and that sort of thing. I guess that's true of any job and anything in life really.

Houston Independent School District is NOTORIOUSLY awful.

If she wants to stay in Houston, she should definitely transfer to Spring Branch ISD. It's in (or rather, surrounded by) Houston, but is a separate system of really good schools. I strongly recommend Valley Oaks Elementary and Cornerstone Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    The job will probably make you want to blow your brains out if you've got a masters degree.
    This. I hate my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

practising my japanese, sewing, baking, working on the london production of Princess Mononoke, making vodka. oh and working. busy busy busy! but not busy enough! XD

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    This. I hate my life.
    It's not that bad. Just learn to make use of free time in a productive way & enjoy the pocket money Japan's government gives you for skiving off.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I recommend people here start joining us in the lounge. Though we might seem a little disgruntled we have a lot of experiences to share which can help you get ready for your time in Japan.

Start by checking out the woots thread and go from there. Welcome to the lounge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

word. We're not all that scary.

Yeah... I used it to blow off steam while I waited around for interview notifications... and then interview results... not to mention the excellent grad school procrastination I accomplished in there. Also bonus reason to join us... we give more personalized application attention to people who contribute. You might think we've reached the extent of our helpfulness with the written application but nay. I got a really (lengthy) helpful wall of text about interview advice from word that I think made a world of difference in how I presented myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

-Brush up on my Japanese, I'm reallyyy rusty
    -Buy a new guitar...hopefully, that will be a late Christmas present to myself
    -Eat...a lot
    -Read...a lot
    -Find a new job to save up
    -Work out
    Last edited by HopefulHarry; December 11th, 2012 at 20:24.

Maybe someone could move this thread to the Lounge area..?

Anyway, just popping in to say Hi! Am sooo busy on placement right now I don't have time to post! Only 4 more days left.... Not that I'm counting...