Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Japanese-language media

Default Favorite Japanese-language media

Books, movies, TV shows (dubbed are ok too), manga, websites, twitter feeds, podcasts, radio shows, anything you found interesting. I haven't found anything in a little while that's really caught my interest. I just finished reading this:

Amazon.co.jp: ǂ: pꂪłȂ߂Ȃ!

Default Re: Favorite Japanese-language media

I really enjoy the Nihonjin no Shiranai Nihongo series and the Darling wa Gaikokujin series. The TV drama and movie adaptations are both crap though. The last real book I read in Japanese was called Aoi Tori. It's a collection of short stories about bullying. It's not too difficult to read either.

One of my favorite manga series at the moment is Yotsuba&! (yotsubato). It's just scenes of daily life through the eyes of an adorable little girl. It's really good for Japanese beginners since there's lots of every day life vocab and hiragana for all the kanji. Saint Young Men is also a pretty good series. The premise is "Jesus and Buddha get an apartment together and hang out".

I'm a big fan of the nihon bunka centre adverts
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Junji Ito writes some pretty good horror manga, if you are into that sort of thing.

Scans with English translations. If it doesn't fit with the Google Rules I'll take the link down.
    Read Junji Ito Scanlations Online for Free

Play Ryū ga Gotoku if you want to learn how to speak like a tough guy/hostess
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I'm reading ダーリンは外国人 and I'm not sure how to feel about it.

Pretty much my reaction when I got those books a few years ago. The movie was shite, too.
    いいみで

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    One of my favorite manga series at the moment is Yotsuba&! (yotsubato).
    Yotsuba& is one of my favorites, I highly recommend it as well! Super easy to read and pretty funny. I wish I could find more series like it.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    I'm reading ダーリンは外国人 and I'm not sure how to feel about it.
    I read a bit of the manga but most of it was cutesy married life stories that really have nothing to do with the husband being a foreigner, making it just about as exciting as Blondie. On the one hand I'm glad that it avoids gaijin stereotypes, but I still find the whole premise slightly offensive. Maybe I've just spent too much time on infamous gaijin butthurt commune ithinkimlost.com.

The movie is far far more offensive than the books. It's almost as if the movie makers didn't read the book at all since they cut out any sort of positive parts about the gaijin guy and just made him a herbivore boring guy. The spin-off series ダーリンの頭ン中 is a little more interesting since it's more about the husband's language geekery than about their relationship.

Densha Otoko despite its annoying parts was the best thing ever.
    At the moment I'm watching something called My Boss My Hero which is rather good. A 27 year old yakuza guy has to pretend to be a 17 year old high school student. Hilarity ensues.
    Also I can't recall the title but I saw the first episode of another great series. Sort of Freaky Friday type stuff, salaryman and teenage daughter body swap. Momoko and papa something? Really want to see more of that but don't have anything.

Movie wise...Battle Royale (duh, everyone knows it), Zatoichi (also somewhat duh), Departures, Tokyo Sonata, Detroit Metal City and Kamikaze Girls (duh) come to mind as being awesome.

I really enjoy the Nihonjin no Shiranai Nihongo series and the Darling wa Gaikokujin series. The TV drama and movie adaptations are both crap though. The last real book I read in Japanese was called Aoi Tori. It's a collection of short stories about bullying. It's not too difficult to read either.
    I liked the Nihonjin no Shiranai Nihongo TV series. Saw it before checking out the manga.
    Darling wa Gaikokujin was a meh movie. So-so.

I hardly read any manga in japanese though that was my main study method with other languages. Its just so hard with J-Go and teaches you not so useful stuff.
    Last edited by Tyr; February 19th, 2013 at 09:14.

A friend bought me Soseki's Kokoro as a christmas present. Is it worth moving up in my reading list?
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

Just finished reading 西の魔女が死んだ after seeing the movie on a plane this past winter break. It's a lot like the books I had to read for school as a kid- Mai, the main character, stops going to school for reasons and gets sent to stay with her grandmother (who happens to be British; it's done fairly well) for a few weeks. The book is mostly about their relationship, mostly through the grandmother's "witch training", which suspiciously sounds like normal life skill kind of stuff. It's pretty short (about 190 pages) and doesn't have too many difficult words in it, so it's a pretty good book for people studying Japanese. The movie's also pretty good if you want to watch it.

I also started reading a manga called 銀の匙/Silver Spoon fairly recently after a bunch of my coworkers recommended it. It's about life in an agricultural school in Hokkaido. It does a good job showing of the more unpleasant sides of farming, like the fact that it's easy to go out of business. One of the first plot arcs, in fact, is the main character, a city boy who doesn't know much about where food comes from, having to deal with the fact that the cute little pigs the class is raising are going to end up as food. It's one of the better manga I've read.

Silver Spoon is a wonderful manga - it's by the same guy who did Full Metal Alchemist.
    いいみで

Bought Death Note vol 1-12 off of Amazon for ¥900 inc. shipping recently. I came in blind off a friend's recommendation (I hadn't seen the anime). It's a lot harder than I was expecting (I've passed N2 and I'm finding it a struggle in places), but it really is a fantastic manga.

As an aside, I can't recommend Amazon highly enough for buying sets of manga, especially if you're buying second hand. I would've paid approaching ¥2000-2500 for it in the shops.
    Last edited by OdysseyOfNoises; April 9th, 2014 at 14:21.

¥2000? Uh, no you wouldn't. Book off has almost every manga ever for 108 a volume, and most of the time they have series bundles for even less. Heck, I bought a 18 volume set of Monster for ¥1000 at the one in Shibuya.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

Forgot about Book Off, my bad.

Other than cinema in general, I think my favorite would have to be ナンダコーレ.

Self-introduction practice and kana practice are both stellar.
    Soft like butter, hard not t'pour : A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast 'n bulbous. Got me?

I heard that Yoshimoto Banana was really good for Japanese learners, so I picked up one of her books from the school library and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's called デッドエンドの思いで、 although one of my coworkers told me that キッチン is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Teishou View Post
    Silver Spoon is a wonderful manga - it's by the same guy who did Full Metal Alchemist.
    Girl - and she is amazing. Her plots and pacing are great and she writes characters very well. I also recommend both Silver Spoon and FMA.

If you're into supernatural stuff Natsume Yuujinchou and Mushishi are both very good. Both have anime adaptions, and the second season of Mushishi is airing at the moment.

My Japanese friends in the 'States would watch all sorts of Japanese comedy series, but the only one that really held my interest was ザ!世界仰天ニュース, mostly because the reenactments are so funny.

"Sophisticated" Japanese people seem to think it's pretty low-class (since it's easy to understand and even easier to watch -- it introduces interesting/bizarre events from around the world, with Japanese subtitles and hilarious Japanese-dubbed foreign actors. Did I mention Japanese subtitles?), but that makes it perfect for us learners! There're also segments of on-the-spot talk/discussion about the reenactments, so there's your listening practice for "authentic" speech.
    Last edited by happytime; June 20th, 2014 at 19:07.