Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: VBulletin software upgrade

Default VBulletin software upgrade

Hi all,

We (word and me) will use this thread to post updates regarding the forum software upgrade that some of you were kind enough to donate to.

14 Dec - The software has been purchased, registered, downloaded and installed onto a test area of the site. We're currently looking at what features are new, what's changed and just finding out way around the new system. We now need to look at customisations and migration of data from the current site. If you want to have a look around the test site, go to http://test.ithinkimlost.com and register. There is currently no shared information between the old and new forums.
    Last edited by Beer Baron; December 14th, 2012 at 16:32.
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: VBulletin software upgrade

I have a question BB. You mentioned the DB size was pretty massive. Does the DB currently store all the user contributed media, or is that sitting on the disk drive separately?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Stop asking hard questions! No seriously, I don't know off hand what vbulletin stores in the database without hoking through it. Avatars and user uploaded images are stored as files from what I remember.
    The DB size is currently 805mb - that's _only_ the forum contents.
    Last edited by Beer Baron; December 14th, 2012 at 16:58.
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Sooo.... Does the new vbulletin support custom information fields for the profile? IE a good field to add would be a job type.

Applying JET
    Shortlisted JET
    Alternate JET
    ES/JHS JET
    SHS JET

Might sound silly but it would clarify a bit when people talk about work. What do you think?

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Are there ALTs that are JHS or ES only? I didn't realize those existed!
    I guess that also means the rare SHS/JHS alts too.... (There's one in my prefecture for some reason).

I think SEAs are a myth told to ALTs to make us feel like we don't have the most pointless job in the world, just second most :P

what about preschool?
    eikaiwa school?
    office lady?
    why must you try and pigeonhole everyone gizmo?? wont you let me live?!?!?!?!?!?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Ini, we're talking about jobs, not where you release your sexual frustrations.

It would be self identifying wouldn't it? Choose the best answer? I don't think it would be as bad as the SDC hate.

I've updated the test forum (Forums - ITIL JET Programme / Japan Forum) to Beta 22

hows this update going then?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

The database migration isn't going very well. Still working on it.

Attempted to do a vbulletin upgrade from 3.8.2 to 3.8.7PL3 in prep for the big version 5 upgrade. It failed quite spectacularly. I've now restored a backup of the 3.8.2 database and the site files.

Let me know if you see any issues.

Hey BB some quick qs
    how's it goin?
    how badly mangled is the db at the moment?
    does it upgrade to 4 at all? (ie can you do it in progressive steps) or... is that how you're supposed to get to 5 anyways?
    did the license purchase come w/ any support other than the forums? IE can you toss the extracted DB at them and ask them to poke it/run some type of integrity re-builder on it?

Hey,

It won't even upgrade to the last 3.8.x release - that's how bad it is.
    For installation, they charge more. I'll try the upgrade again sometime this week - depending on when I can get a few minutes away from work.
    It was probably a forum mod we have on here that screwed things up. Unfortunately it didn't make it very clear what the issue was - things just didn't work.
    Instead of wrecking the live site, next time I'll try with a copy of the database.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Baron View Post
    It was probably a forum mod we have on here that screwed things up.
    not me
    look all i'm saying is if you go here and you die, it's not my fault

* mod = modification

Let's blame Scrotum anyway.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quick update: I think I've found the modification that caused the upgrade problems. VBSEO is a search engine optimisation script. During the upgrade of the test system, I disabled it before starting. The test forum upgraded from 3.8.2 to the last in the 3.8.x upgrade path (3.8.7 PL3).

Things are looking better - I haven't checked everything but the fact threads were actually loading this time rather than a blank thread looks good.

So I don't trash the live site, this upgrade is still on a test copy of the site. If my tests this week go ok, I'll update the live site to 3.8.7 PL3 this weekend.

The next step after everyone is happy that the site isn't broke is to upgrade to 5.0.0.

EDIT: Scratch that. I threw 5.0 on the top of the test migration and it seems to have worked without any further issues. Please try it out at http://test.ithinkimlost.com and let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Beer Baron; January 23rd, 2013 at 04:50.

one would assume since the migration all threads are showing up as unread so the first new post on every thread is post #1

Before doing a migration, can we try a theme/template migration? Those two boxes on the right side are bloody annoying.

Edit: User accounts transferred, but private messages did not.

Wow. It's amazingly slow compared to the current site. I wonder if that has to do w/ my proxy server at work... anyone not going through a proxy, how fast does the new site feel?
    Last edited by Gizmotech; January 23rd, 2013 at 09:01.