Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interac housing lease

Geez Akanemukade that sounds tough. Are you planning to stick it out, or move once you can?
    The mouth speaks what the heart is full of

Last edited by akanemukade; September 27th, 2017 at 05:04.

Quote Originally Posted by akanemukade View Post
    I'm just sticking it out until the end of my contract. It's really not that bad. It's small, but it suits my needs, though there are better ones out there. Like Yara said, it's easier to just put up with a LeoPalace rather than finding a place on your own if this is your first time moving to Japan and you don't speak the language.
    You, and others should take you own words to heart; "it suits my needs", I mean are you entertaining your spouses boss for dinner parties, planning a family, converting the garage into a den? When I lived in Japan I was more concerned about the cheapest way to get and stay in Kyoto during Golden week or plane tickets to Thailand during summer break, my closet size room in a shared house was good enough as long as the heat worked in the winter and had ac in the summer. If you're so worried about housing and want to experience Japan just stay in your parents house in your home country and read manga and watch anime...get over it!!!To a foreigner Japan shouldn't be about a stylish 3LDK with a pet salon, it's an interesting country with lots to do and see and you want to turn it into an episode of an HGTV reality show...so lame...
    Last edited by gakumonman; January 7th, 2013 at 16:32.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Interac housing lease

Gakumonman, I agree in principal. When you first get here, just live in where they give you. If after a year you feel like expanding your place because you're not going anywhere for a while, that's also fine.

Not every foreigner has gone to Japan w/ the express intent on leaving the country and making their stay there some type of "experience"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Our little LeoBoxes are small, chilly in the winter and perhaps not quite the best bargain among living spaces in Japan, but. The layouts tend to vary, and some are noticeably newer. Mine's more recent, with a loft area over the kitchen. The #1 thing I'd recommend investing in before you move in is a decent futon/mattress and pillow.

I've visited some JET's in the area, a few of whom basically have entire three-bedroom houses to themselves (paying much less rent as well!). First instinct is to be jealous, but I honestly don't know what I'd do with all that extra space. Between school, travel and going out on weekends, I'm not often in my apartment for extended periods, so the LeoPalace has been more than good enough for my needs as well. I'm quite conveniently placed and am glad that Interac took care of all the details and paperwork...it was one less thing to worry about while being jetlagged and moving to a new country for job training.

Pick up an item or two here or there, hang a few pictures and its not hard to make it feel like "home."
    Last edited by PoseidonCubed; January 7th, 2013 at 23:51.
    Oh, Arsene Wenger's magic, he wears a magic hat / and when he saw the double, he said I'm having that

Last edited by akanemukade; September 27th, 2017 at 05:05.

I think there are different factors that apply to different people... If you are someone that does not speak the language, and are only planning on staying in Japan for a year, then LeoPalace is a great option. The apartments are really small, but they come almost completely furnished (totally unheard of for most normal Japanese apartments), and they're month to month leases, for the most part, AND you don't have to worry about a guarantor, or finding a place that will rent to you without one.

On the other hand, if you are fluent (or at least conversational) and you intend to stay in Japan for at least a few years, LeoPalace does not seem like the best option in my opinion. Because they're convenient and furnished, the rent is a lot more expensive for what you're actually getting. Personally, I'd rather get a cheaper, unfurnished, normal apartment and buy the furniture and appliances, as I'm planning on being in Japan for an extended period of time. Whether or not that option will be available to me from the get-go, I'll have to wait and see once I get my placement :/ Worse comes to worst, I go with the LeoPalace or whatever Interac gives me and look for another place once I'm settled. Does anyone else have an experience like this?

Here to post my 2 cents as a Interac employee.

I will go ahead and note that I have not read much of the previous posts. I have been with Interac 2 years, going on 3, and I first had a Leopalace apartment. You are allowed to get out of your contract with it after 6 months.

I left mine at 8 months.

It is pretty difficult to get a place in Japan if you are not here yet. Also it is made a little extra difficult with the tenant being a foreigner. You have to have a person/company to back you up and say that no this person is not a homicidal maniac that will be using your room for evil illegal organ theft. Kind of like credit scores in the US (you have a harder time getting a place if you have no credit).
    Back to Leopalace, normally you would be able to leave Leopalace at anytime, one month, two, or what have you. That is what my Japanese friend told me. However, my understanding is that when you sign it and the 6 month limitation is actually with Interac. That Interac signs the apartment in your honor and has the actual contract with Leopalace, and that when you come and sign the contract it is actually with Interac and you are acting as a subletter.
    This can be entirely wrong, but this is the way it was explained to me some time after I got here.

Hope this helps in some way.

So does interac help you if you want to find another apartment?
    Not in the finding process, but if you find one and the renter needs all that stuff you mentioned?

I guess im asking what did you have to go through to get your apartment outside of leopalace?

Yeah they they had no problem supporting me with a new apartment. But they won't find it for you... I mean, they might in some cases - one guy I know had Interac help him, but I haven't heard of it happening too often.

good info... I know (think, lol) I wont like the size of the leopalace, but i have accepted it for the first year im there. (if i only have to wait six months, cool.)

What about moving from one Leopalace to another? My recruiter mentioned a sort of "club fee" that you pay and wouldn't need to pay again if they transferred you. Is that an Interac thing or a Leo thing?

the size of mine really wasnt too bad. I have been in a few of my Japanese friends apartments and actually mine was bigger than most (seriously).
    Remember they mostly live in one-rooms, so my one-room was clearly bigger, but the multi room apartments were obviously bigger...

The thing I hated more about the Leopalace was the lack of kitchen space, the IH stove top and no porch.

As far as transferring Leopalaces...I am not really sure why you would want to! haha!

It is actually pretty over priced, but that is the price of easy I guess. I paid 55000yen a month for mine. But the advantage is all the furnishings. There is a guy who was at my orientation who has a spacious one room for 35000yen a month, but no furniture. I have no idea where or how he found it but its a great deal.
    I actually have no idea if the transferring fee you are talking about exists or not, but knowing Leopalace, I would actually assume that it is possible.

It's not that I truly desire to live in a Leopalace, I just want one of those pet friendly ones they advertise.

wow. You might have a hard time finding one of those. I have never even heard of them. Though I am now wondering if they are what is called the Lions Mansion (affiliated with Leopalace - it is like the family version of it). Also they will be more expensive.

I've been looking into this for a while. If you go on the website and pick the options you are looking for, one says "pet allowed". And it's a different kanji than that "pets negotiable" you find on regular apartment websites. Rent doesn't seem that much more expensive, but I can make it happen.

i was thinking about bringing my pet over, but I decided against it because the pet allowed area is soooo small (just from leopalace), but I also started thinking about the pet...
    no central air and leaving the aircon on ALL day seems like it could run the bill up...
    is there a setting were you can have it turn off after a certain temp is hit? or is it just on a timer?
    I really dont know how they work.

Alot more than just the apartment to think about for a pet, there's also the quarantine, vaccines, etc etc.

But, in the Leo Palace's I've lived in the AC is set on an automatic 3 hour timer, you cannot have the AC (or heat) on for longer than that without manually turning it on again. Some people have been able to get around this with a universal remote, but that hasn't worked for me.