Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Interviews

Default Interviews

If you've got an interview, let us know here!
    Once you've been for your interview, let us know what you were asked and how it went!

Default Re: Interviews

...because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    :') Pass me some

If the thread is ok, a mod needs to delete the discussion and bitching, leaving it pristine and ready for interview stuff. If it isn't, the whole thread needs to go.

Simples.
    ...because Japan.

Make sure you know your SoP inside and out.

Stay in a hotel within walking distance to your interview the night before if at all possible.

If you have the ability to schedule your interview, do so as soon as you possibly can. Try to get a good slot.

Take care of yourself in the weeks leading up to the interview. Eat healthy foods. Don't drink heavily or smoke a bunch of weed.

Don't forget your interview voucher card/thing. I don't know if all consulates do this, but mine did, and a dude who interviewed with me forgot his. Guess who I didn't see in Tokyo. Think of it as a final "dumbass" screening.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

For Christ's sake wear a suit. A nice one, don't go cheap. Get it tailored if it doesn't fit perfectly off the rack. It's a good investment even if you don't make it on to JET.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    For Christ's sake wear a suit. A nice one, don't go cheap. Get it tailored if it doesn't fit perfectly off the rack. It's a good investment even if you don't make it on to JET.
    This. So many stories of people wearing inappropriate stuff to interviews, and every year someone on official asks if they should wear X (where X could be a school uniform, traditional Japanese outfit, hawaiian shirt...).

The advice I give (usually after facepalming) is this:

This is not a holiday, excuse to weeaboo-out in animeland, or fun way to pay off your student loans. You are applying for a job with the Japanese government. Wear clothing and act in a manner befitting that position.

Other advice:
    -Get there early.
    -Remember you're in an embassy. Whether or not the ambassador is around, people are trying to work.
    -Remember, you're in an embassy. There will probably be a security check to get in. Don't be Mr. Funny with the guards.
    -Know your SOP: they will likely ask questions about it.
    -If you claimed to know some Japanese, brush up on it. They may ask for a demonstration.
    -Turn up wearing your interview clothes and leave them on until you're out of the building. One guy I interviewed with only put on a tie and jacket while he was in the interview room. Guess who didn't make it.
    Last edited by Antonath; January 9th, 2013 at 09:52.
    ...because Japan.

Yeah, even though JET isn't a real job and it's just a time to get drunk and try to have sex with Japanese people, at the interview you need to pretend it is a real job. Treat it like a serious interview and you should be fine.
    If you don't know how to act in a serious interview there's probably better places to learn than ITIL.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Thanks guys. Luckily I've got somewhere to stay the night before, and a well fitting Zara suit (though it's getting to the point where I could use more space in the shoulders).
    I'm compiling a list of questions I think they might ask me, but I'm not too focused on that. The impression I get is a smart, gregarious, sensible and, most importantly, confident attitude and bearing is key. Looking forward to the interview actually, just gonna keep checking my SoP and brush up my grammar and a little on my Japanese. And keep an eye on Japanese current events just in case.
    Last edited by jjstrand; January 9th, 2013 at 16:54.

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

Also, if they do ask you questions in Japanese and you completely mess up on a question, don't worry too much about it. They just want to make sure you aren't totally lying on your application if you say you know some Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    This. So many stories of people wearing inappropriate stuff to interviews, and every year someone on official asks if they should wear X (where X could be a school uniform, traditional Japanese outfit, hawaiian shirt...).
    Yeah don't be that guy from official last year who was insistent on wearing his old uniform from when he was an exchange student in a Japanese school.....

Also: smile! It's really easy to forget when you're nervous but they're looking for people to work with kids so looking enthusiastic is a big one.

Good luck folks!

All the advice above is good.
    Remember to be polite for the entire time you are in the Embassy/Consulate. You can ask questions and chat to the ex-JEts in the waiting room...remember to be friendly and professional then (as well as in the actual interview)

My boss is going to be on the panel for interviews next week. He's really looking forward to it...so there will be at least one friendly Japanese face

That one guy got in right? I can't recall.
    いいみで

Quote Originally Posted by Teishou View Post
    That one guy got in right? I can't recall.
    Are you shitting me? I can't remember, I just remember that he wanted to do it and the general consensus was that he was a moron.

Seriously? That guy made it? *facepalm*

Also, in the US they are now required to check your Japanese with a few questions. Not big stuff, but be prepared if you don't know any Japanese.

The UK letter says that if you stated you knew above 'elementary' level in the application, you would be tested. There's also an English test before the interview.

Yep, that dude Bejma made it in.

JET Programme Forums • View topic - Would wearing something like this be pretentious/rude?

JET Programme Forums • View topic - US Shortlist 2012

First one's his lame post about wearing that dumb uniform, and the second one is him stating his shortlist status.
    いいみで

Maybe after the pile-on he received, he decided to wear a normal suit and came across like a sane person.
    ...because Japan.

Anybody got their interviews? I have heard nothing yet, but looking on other forums, people have been saying they've got their interviews for the 14th. I only found out in late Dec that my only exam is on the 14th, so thank god for that...

Other than that I'm thinking the worst now that people have been given interviews. I got sent an email saying my proof of degree was missing from my application, but quickly sent it the next day (had sent the incorrect letter). Now I'm thinking they did not collate the new evidence I sent and my application is resting on the 'incomplete pile' ....

Hopefully I do get an interview though, since I worked really hard on it, put out an excellent personal statement (I thought anyway) and would be left shattered if I get a rejection letter...

I will be booking a room at a premier inn the night before, so I can get to the embassy on time and fresh looking. Will also go explore London afterwards as I've never been!

It doesn't make the wait any less agitating, but they will still be rolling out interview letters every day for the next few weeks - I wouldn't start despairing until it gets to February and you still haven't heard.