Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will eikaiwa ruin my chances of JET next year?

Default Will eikaiwa ruin my chances of JET next year?

Okay, so I didn't quite cut it this year. Was always planning to go to Japan with or without JET, but after talking to Paul i'm starting to have second thoughts about the Eikaiwa route altogether and i'd just like a few more peoples' opinions.

This is what i'd planned: get a job with geos/nova/ecc/aeon/etc, leave this year (next couple months) and apply for JET again for next year. I have a couple of interviews lined up already.

Here's what i'd like to ask the masses: Will this ruin my chances of getting on to JET next year? If so, why? I had originally thought that the extra experience might help me in some way or another but then again Paul made me think otherwise. If this doesn't help me get on JET next year -- what will?

Thanks in advance guys...

I kinda agree with you, Paul. I taught EFL for almost 2 years before JET, and found the difference in motivation of high school kids to be very difficult to deal with (previously, I'd taught mainly adults and university students). So for me, it felt like I was taking a step back. I'm enjoying JET now, but I still miss my old students.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Hmmm that is an interesting point, although admittedly I will only be a part time ALT in Germany (so not really the same) I hadn't considered the possible ramifications on a JET reapplication. I figured the experience would just be seen as an asset, which it would be after all there are just a few differences between Germany and Japan.

Ah well sod it I'll see if I get Germany as if nothing else I already speak that language

That kind of ties in with my reasons for wanting to take the eikaiwa route on to JET...

Dob, do you think your EFL experience helped you get on JET? and was it in Japan? and did they ask you what you'd gain from JET? (because you've effectively already experienced the internationalisation and whatnot)

A homestay could be a good idea, Paul suggested that...perhaps I could experience Japan a little by doing that perhaps for a month or two...that'll help right? Any news on that Paul? (I know its only been a day! i've just been a bit restless thats all)

The big question again...does eikaiwa ruin my chances of getting on jet next year!?

I don't think it will ruin your chances, reasoning being...

I know a married couple who both applied to JET. One succeeded & one failed. They both came out here anyway. One started teaching on JET one did privates for a year, re-applied then got in second time lucky. The guy was placed in the same city as his wife, where he had already been living for a year teaching privately.

As they say, ESID and the JET application & hiring process is completely unfathomable.
    Give me my marker show me my line... surely this is it... the edge?

Okay, so the eikaiwa route isn't all that bad if its a short term thing...I have a few short term private school jobs that I need to apply for, 3 month contracts teaching children in various places around Japan. The thing is, with these short term jobs they don't usually sponsor you to come over, sort your visa and accomodation -- its usually a case of APPLICANTS MUST CURRENTLY RESIDE IN JAPAN sort of thing, which is a major bummer. The schools that sort out all the whole shabang are the 1 year contract jobs...which goes back to my question I asked in the other forum (alternatives to jet), what happens if you break the 1 year contract?

Ideally, a homestay would be great, because I could apply to the short term (3 month) teaching jobs while i'm in japan...which would count as experience in teaching and short term experience with the culture...

well, what do you reckon happens if the one year contract is broken...? i'd still have my visa, only thing is I reckon my place/apartment would get taken away, not sure what else...bad idea huh? homestay is the way to go I reckon.

the been too experienced for jet might be a decent arguement on a personal basis but having one year eikaiwa experience will not hurt your reapplication for JET

didn't atomic yak get in this time round after a stint in eikaiwa? maybe you should ask him for advice

and adding to the esid mantra your just as likely to get a post as a human tape recorder as teaching classes by yourself on jet (if the experiences of the people just in tottori prefecture are any guide) and in that situation having a years eikaiwa experience would be a godsend.

i mean think about it, if having one years eikaiwa experience is such a bad thing why would jet ever want you to recontract???
    If i told you you had a good body, would you take your clothes off and dance around for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo
    Dob, do you think your EFL experience helped you get on JET? and was it in Japan? and did they ask you what you'd gain from JET? (because you've effectively already experienced the internationalisation and whatnot)
    I think it played a big part in me getting in, to be honest. I worked in Japan for 6 months, and in Thailand for a year before that, and in my interview I spoke about how I'd always dreamed of going to Japan and that when I actually got there it lived up to my expectations. Having a TEFL certificate and experience certainly didn't hurt my chances! In the interview they asked me about how I'd feel becoming an assistant teacher, implying that I would feel uncomfortable not being in charge of a class. I just told them that it would be nice to have less responsibility and they seemed to like that!

So yes, I think my experience was the main factor in getting me here as I didn't really have any other relevant experience on my CV. However, it has been difficult for me to adjust to teaching in a high school after my previous EFL jobs.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Yeah, thanks adam, I sent AtomicYak a PM yesterday but haven't got a reply yet. I think JET want you to recontract because it saves them a lot of paperwork/etc finding someone to replace you, guess it makes sense in a silly kind of way...

Mixed opinions then all round, I still have no idea if eikaiwa is the way to go. I'll research into my short term options and hopefully a homestay but it is definately all about ESID, which is a damn shame!

I do like to hear about people who didn't get in first time round but got in the next, gives me all the hope in the world! where are these people? need advice!

EDIT: Thanks Dob! things are a little more clear now...i'll read around and see what I can find...lets hope the Dave's ESLcafe will save the day!

Hanzo, Westgate (www.westgate.co.jp) do 3-month contracts teaching at Japanese universities, and they sort out your airfare and visa. I worked for them twice and enjoyed it both times.

Great, thanks again dude -- checking them out. Hope they take fresh grads with no teaching experience! I know i'm pushing my luck now....

I'm currently doing the online TEFL course thingy, lets hope they count that as a plus.

Cheers!

VIP

I think there are valid points on both sides of the argument. Basically, its probably all down to how you spin it.

Eg, if you come across as a japan-phile know-it-all.. it will hurt your chances. But if you show you just really want to experience Japan, and JET is your preferred choice. Emphasise you really want to see the state-school system and i think it will help.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

I don't think it matters either way if you have eikaiwa or not. There are people here with the experience, there are those without.

It just comes down to your application and interview. Seeing as you had an interview that means your application was good enough, but really the JET interview is about how your attitude and manner is in those 15 minutes in the eyes of your JET interviewers. If they don't like you, you're not in, if they do, welcome to Japan.

I don't think experience comes in to it if you get to the interview stage - your experience will have been covered in writing already, it just comes down to how you respond to their questions and whether you look like a child molestor or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    They're looking for middle of the road people
    *Dances around the room*

Mediocrity has never felt so good

OK, haven't read all the posts thoroughly, gomen. But...

What Paul says ispretty true. I know that here in Kobe the 'Eikaiwa drones' are actually far more plugged into the city socially, reason being they teach in the city centre and work with adults. Other benefits are that they are able to work the odd hour or 6 at smaller eikaiwas, where they meet new Japanese people and therefore extend their circle of Japanese acquaintances/friends. jets meet overworked teachers and kids. There is a big difference.

Jetgives you a bit more prestige and a bit more money, but ultimately, if its the country you want to see, who cares who you're working for.

All that said, I know two Jets who were Nova before this, but they had japanese spouses, so were already here. That may have affected their application positively.

I'm nattering like a twat now, but to sum up, come to Japan using any route possible, and if you and the country were meant to be friends, then it'll be sweet. Us Jets give Nova et al. shit, but their deal is sometimes better, i.e. NO INKAKA

Hey Hanzo,

You asked where are all the second-time round successes? HERE!

I posted this somewhere else and am too lazy to edit, so ignore all the irrelevant stuff.

"Know where you're coming from. I applied last year and wasn't accepted. But I had both teaching experience and a long-standing interest in Japan and the JET programme.

This year, however, I was accepted (shortlisted).

I was given some really good advice after my rejection. That was that despite my interest in Japan, my teaching experience, my experience living abroad, I should have also conveyed that I would be a good "Canadian ambassador". Not that I acted like a jerk, or something. But just that I wasn't oozing knowledge about Canada, etc. So the second time around, I kept that advice in mind and overall had a much better interview.

So although I know the process is somewhat arbitrary, it's not as bad as some people assume it is. The difference in my two interviews and the difference in the two results, makes me feel that there is some reasoning behind the system. (Although I did interview in two different cities, with two different panels).

Anyway, for all out there that didn't get accepted and have a legitimate interest, etc., my advice...try again. Think about what feelings, thoughts, opinions, etc. you possibly failed to convey and work on that. I personally did a lot of research on topics about Canada that I hadn't studied since high school, etc. I also actually wrote up answers to about 50 possible questions, so I had thought through in depth some of the more difficult questions. "

Someone else on this thread mentioned that it all boils down to how you spin it. I agree completely. I think that they could see eikaiwa experience in both a good or a bad light, but you just haveta show'em that it will make a positive difference in being a JET ALT that you have such-and-such an experience. Also the idea of wanting to understand/experience/etc. the Japanese school system is a good reason behind leaving the eikaiwa to do JET for your next year's interview.

Begone Raekid, you've spouted too much sh!t!

Haha thanks Raekid, that does make me feel like i've actually got a chance next year!? I just hope eikaiwa experience won't make ME feel differently about how I feel now...then again who knows.

I've got 3 interviews lined up over the next few weeks, JET as taught me not to assume anything so HOPEFULLY I won't have to worry about applying to another 3...it is by no means a formality.

I hope eikaiwa experience will atleast get me to the interview stage on JET, which I believe will go better than before, but again who knows.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice, wish me luck!

Walking in late on this site, just my two bits.
    I worked at AEON in Tottori all last year, and was accepted for the JET program this year. I have to say that I really did enjoy working there, met some great people and whoever mentioned above that private school teachers tend to meet a wider swath of society than JETs do was right on, as far as I can tell. And by the way, with the big private schools I'd say: If you want to be creative and have a lot of freedom with your lesson plans and a reasonable amount of prep time, go with AEON. If you don't mind being a script-reader with only the occasional free conversation class and virtually no prep time, go with NOVA or GEOS. NOVA teachers don't even know what classes they are going to teach each day until they arrive and look at the schedule. Consequently, students don't know who their teacher will be each day either, but it doesn't matter because all the grammar classes are strictly by the script anyway. The only advantage is that since your classes at NOVA don't belong to you exclusively, it means you are allowed to freely trade days off with co-workers. But AEON gives you more days off overall, and it's closed on Sundays.

Back to the point though, I think having that on my app definitely helped me in the application process for JET. And the experience certainly made the interviewer's hypothetical questions a lot easier to answer.

Anyway, if you get an AEON interview and have any questions about it, feel free to send me a message.

Well, as it goes (i'm sure no one's interested but i'll say it anyway), my first eikaiwa interview (which lasted 3 days!) with GEOS turned out well and i've been offered the job...now i've just got to read through the contract thoroughly before I phone them up and accept, which i'll probably do over the next few days.

I'll apply for JET next year, and hopefully the eikaiwa experience will help..either way i'm thrilled to have got offered the job, it felt like pop idol it was kind of scary, people where getting eliminated for such stupid reasons! it started out with like 15 people and ended up with 5!

Oh it was cool, I only had to wait one day for the results of the interview, not 4 frickin months!

I've got to sign the contract before I know where i'm to be placed, so I can only keep my fingers crossed, i'll phone them up actually and see if I can have a say in the matter...either way, i'm finally going Japan! Got 2 more eikaiwa interviews coming up, question is...should I go?

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Congrats Hanzo...as for you other interviews, why not go? what have you got to lose...youre going for sure now!! see if you can widen your options especially if GEOS wasnt the one you really wanted!! Good luck in you app next year and who knows, maybe well bump into each other over there!
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!