Thread: Lesson Demo in Skype Interview

Default Lesson Demo in Skype Interview

I have a Skype interview in which I am required to give a 30-minute lesson to two interviewers who are acting as beginner-level adults.

Does anyone have any experience in this kind of situation? I've found advice about Skype interviews and about demo lessons, but not the two together.

I figure I can partly replace whiteboard work with a really well-prepared slide show. I'm much better at whiteboards so I'll have to really think ahead on this.

I don't know if they'll accept "handouts" like I would give out in a lesson, but I'd really want them to have something to refer to as the lesson goes on. In a lesson, I'm not interested in memorization (tasks to improve recall can easily be done outside of a lesson) or the written form.

The target language is some basic time-telling.

Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: Lesson Demo in Skype Interview

30 minutes?? That's really long for a demo lesson. Did the company give you any guidance notes on what to cover or what you can/can't do? Depending on where your computer is, you could stick some A4/3 white paper sheets on the wall behind and pretend that's your whiteboard. Having a real clock that you can use and manipulate would also be good. Otherwise you can send them your hand outs as files they download from Skype, or ahead of the actual interview via email.

Yeah--maybe they want me to submit a lesson plan as if the lesson were 30 minutes, but they'll only actually play along for 5-10 minutes? They explicitly said to have at least 2 questions and responses that the students will practice and learn--when I first read that I thought 2 questions? more like ~5-10.

They gave me some ideas for target language ("half past 3", "quarter to 2", that sort of thing) and said I could add my own ideas.

A makeshift whiteboard is a good idea, but I don't think my camera will focus on things in the background well enough to see. :\

I think it'll end up being mostly oral... ai yah. And I'm supposed to minimize teacher talking time!

UPDATE:

I submitted my lesson plan and boardwork/presentation yesterday. I was sort of counting on Skype to be able to screen share my "board" aka the PowerPoint presentation, but apparently that's a premium feature. The interview is tomorrow night, so I have a little bit of time to think of a workaround.

I do a ton of drawing (of clocks) in my lesson in order to communicate meaning. Because these are "beginner-level students", I really don't want to explain things when I can simply show things.

I can do something like this:

Replace [Draw minute hand pointing to X. Ask, "What time is it?"]
    With [Ask, "What time is Y:X"?]

Or I can use a physical clock to replace my drawing. This might be a bit choppy but I'm leaning toward it simply because it is more similar to my original thought.

If these are beginner level students, maybe you can manipulate the Hi! Friends 2 chapter on time?

Count to 60 using fingers.
    Hold up clock.
    `What time is it now?`
    `What time is _______` (Lunch, Dinner, etc)
    `What time is it in _______` (America, Japan, China)

If they`re asking you for a time lesson, I assume they`ve probably had the very basic basic already and know `Look at this`, `This is a _____` (clock) and numbers 1-10

AH sorry I never responded! I basically drilled the various informal ways of telling time, like half past, five to, etc. Got an offer!

Hey,

Was this interview for Nichii Gakkan/COCO Juku? I've got a interview tomorrow with a very similar brief (I chose the ordering in a restaurant option).

How long were did you have to teach for? And did the interviewers respond as if they were students? They emphasise that the lesson plan has to be student-centred, but this makes it difficult to demonstrate with no students. I assume the interviewers don't just crack on with the role-play tasks I'm setting them?

Thanks!

^ yep it was! I had to teach for maybe 10 minutes or so... and I only had one interviewer, might be different for you. He did a lot of role play, and he was very good at it. Message me if you want more info--I'll be out for a few hours but I'll try to respond tonight.

btw is crack on an Aussie or UK expression?

Hi!

Sent you a message about your interview, I have one coming up very soon. Any info you could give would be great!