Thread: Is it easy to find another job IN Japan post-JET?

Default Is it easy to find another job IN Japan post-JET?

I just got accepted for a JET interview, so I'm already thinking ahead (I'm an obsessive planner...I can't help it). If I stay for 2-3 years in Japan, is it easy enough to find and get accepted for another job in Japan requiring English tutors or translators?
    I was thinking that, if my JET contract doesn't get renewed for a 4th or 5th year, I could apply for an English Conversation School or try becoming a translator.
    I really love Japan and have lived there previously, so my ultimate goal is to stay there long-term, rather than for just a couple of years. So how easy is it to get a new job, post-JET, and am I allowed to look for a new job while still a JET since my contract would be nearing its end? I'm assuming that all job recruitments occur in spring and, if you don't have your applications in by spring, you've missed your chance.

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

Default Re: Is it easy to find another job IN Japan post-JET?

One person in my prefecture had to break contract a little early to start a new job in March. He gave his BOE two months notice, and they seemed to be understanding. You can look for a job while on JET, it just might be good to do it on the down-low.

As for getting a job in Japan, you'll have to work for it, but it is possible. I have a couple of friends who were able to get translating or teaching jobs here after JET. Some High Schools even have non-ALT English teaching jobs that are aimed at foreigners who have wives here, or are almost-permanent residents here. (Everyone I know with jobs like that are married to a Japanese person, just so you know.)

Default Is it easy to find another job IN Japan post-JET?

Nobody can stop you looking for a job..... If you are intending to break contract then you might want to keep it secret and lie about going on holidays when you are going for interviews. If you want any old job then its the easiest thing in the world to find one. If you want something that provides a living wage then you have to search a little harder. Use your time on JET to make contacts - "it's not what you know, it's who you know"
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Interesting. Okay, I will definitely keep things on the down-low when applying for another job, although I'm beginning to think that it will be easier to just marry a Japanese guy than look for a job that provides a living wage. Still, my Japanese language ability isn't that bad (a little rusty since I graduated college) so I think I have a fighting chance of getting accepted for another job. Of course, this is all theoretical since I haven't even done the interview yet. lol

Marry a Japanese guy and looking for work won't be an option since you'll be expected to be pregnant and at home cooking him karaage.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

haha.
    If only more girls did that....
    The karage thing of course. Not the pregnancy. Really not the pregnancy.

Have to admit this finding a post-jet job in japan thing is worrying me a little too. Seeming unlikely I will find a job back home, not even sure I want one yet, so it looks like the private teaching elsewhere route for me. Trouble is all the good jobs go for spring and the august ones arent even listed yet, which has me paranoid.

If you just want a generic english teaching job and aren't too bothered about location I doubt it would be too hard to find something.
    There are translation jobs out there, but will probably require a lot more effort. If you are serious about wanting to become a translator you should probably aim to pick up the necessary skills and move on from JET as quickly as possible. Don't wait until you have no choice because you're not getting recontracted or because you reached the five year mark.
    Last edited by Muts; February 11th, 2013 at 13:32.