Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vision Quest Support Group

Default Re: Vision Quest Support Group

I've had some of my kids take half an hour to come up with three adjectives to describe something, when allowed to use their dictionaries. Most students take as long as they're given, especially if they're given longer than they need.

With only 15 minutes, I'd go back to the scripted conversations too, especially if you can change the content a little to match what the textbook says they're supposed to be doing.
    ...because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I wonder if it's about level of English, or if it's just general apathy. I mean, these questions are not rocket science, I'm sure the kids have answered them more than once before in JHS.
    It's definitely apathy. The problem is once a critical mass of students not bothering is hit nearly every student feels it's ok to do the same and they just collectively shut down. This isn't helpful at all but yeah a lot of kids have the mentality that if it's ALT lessons and they get asked to do something that isn't so mind numbingly straightforward that they could do it in ES (like the rest of their classes) they have a valid excuse to just sit there and stare dumbly into space.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Soo.... we sat down this morning and hashed out a new plan.

Each expression page / unit can be broken down as such:
    1) Listening or planning
    2) Questions
    3) Presentation

We decided that I can probably do steps 1 and 2 in class as a "communicative" activity as per the book in 15 minutes (It'll be tight, but it should be doable). We figured out a good way to incentivize the planning/question asking part by turning the presentation into a long writing activity. The students, to complete the homework, will have to get good answers from their partner(s). I'll have to rework the 3rd part into longer homework activities which the students submit, and we'll attach a grade to them like any other homework. We'll give em a week to write them (not that they should need a week), and I'll visit the class once every 2 weeks to do these "expression activities".

It's a pretty shitty situation, but the teachers have decided that this model matches their "requirements" better than introducing anything else to the course. One was keen for listening/comprehension practice like my scripted discussions or even just me talking for a few minutes on random shit (ie, news, culture, international stuff,etc...), but the others were more concerned with staying on target and having testables from whatever I do in the class.

I REALLY dislike this "testable" culture that is in my school some days. I wish they would stop caring about these monthly tests and realize the students need to actually practice MAKING and USING English, rather than just doing the textbook math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I REALLY dislike this "testable" culture that is in my school some days. I wish they would stop caring about these monthly tests and realize the students need to actually practice MAKING and USING English, rather than just doing the textbook math.
    yeah it sucks but exists in all too many places. It's basically how the entire education system works anyway. I mean it's all very well the Japanese government to say they want students to communicate/express themselves in English and do more speaking, that teachers should only speak English in classes etc but so long as they judge their entire English program on complex grammar and comprehension of written material that far exceeds their expressive abilities then even teachers who want them to "make and use" English are gonna have to settle into that grind of drilling them to pass tests.